Neglected Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
My garage fridge died 2.5 weeks ago and I left a pack of PurePitch WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast in there (hiding on the top rack in the back). I just found it and was planning on using it this weekend.
Temps have been all over the place lately here in KY, down to 50 at night and occasionally up to 80 F during the day. I know a good portion of this yeast is dead, but what about mutation?

If I made a nice starter and added 1/2 pack of US-05 to it, would it be ok to use??

the starter will tell. If it shows activity you are good

But why would you mix those strains? The us-05 will likely take over the mixture and any Hefeweizen character will be lost

Thanks moops.
I've done it before and it turned out nice. US-05 is clean, so it's not a bad yeast to mix in. I just ended up with a beer that is a cleaner version of a Hefeweizen. For that particular brew that's what I was going for, and it's one of my best beers IMO

So if my starter looks good, I don't need to be worried about mutations or ill effects of unhealthy yeast? I will be sure to add yeast nutrient to the starter...

80F won't kill yeast. 110F will kill yeast. 80F makes crappy tasting beer, it won't kill the yeast.

There could be mutations from what you want to brew, but again, I'd probably make a starter, pitch and see what I get.

if you are really worried taste a biit of decanted starter wort. Itll be a bit tart if you arent used to drinking unhopped low OG beer, but there shouldnt be any huge offensive flavors

Hell it's probably 80 degrees in my homebrew shop most hot Florida afternoons, and all the dry yeast just sits out on the shelf. Haven't had any problems with the yeast on any of my batches either.

I was wondering if you repitched the yeast slurry from that batch and if it still was slow to ferment?

Nope, I didn't. I have so much yeast on hand at the moment, there was no incentive to repitch. A SWAG is that it would have done even better if I had.

Back