Need ideas for flavoring my Hefeweisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozgaar

Reaction score
So I'm in primary fermentation with my hefeweisen right now and I know I want to add something to flavor my batch when I rack it into secondary. The problem is, I don't know what to add that would be good. What flavors work well with a hefeweisen?

If it helps, my recipe is Midwest Supplies "Hank's Hefeweisen".

Whatever goes well with bananas and/or cloves.You know, other than nut bread or cigarettes. Strawberries, pumpkin, apples, cinnamon...

I'm personally a purist when it comes to Hefe's. When brewed/fermented right, the aromas and flavors produced by the yeast is more than complex and delicious, IMHO. I think you'll find that standard American/German Wheat beers are better for flavoring w/ fruits, spices, & whatnot.

But who am I to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. It's your beer. Be adventurous. You may find the next best thing. :mug:

I am not typically a fan of the extract flavors, but I did 1.5 oz of Brewer's Best black currant extract in a Hefe back in April and it was very very tasty. I made it for a small event of about 80 people that were all wine drinkers (a non-profit art guild benefit) and of the 11 kegs my HBC served at the event, mine was the first and only to go dry.

I am considering doing a 10 Gallon Batch and splitting in to two (2) kegs.

At that time prime with a good fruit juice from Wholefoods...

That way I have two different beers...

It usually is pasturized so I would think it is ready to go...

dpb

If you are using an actual German Hef yeast then you are already going to get some of that banana/clove spice naturally. If your kit has an American Hef yeast then you can pretty much have at it with w/e flavors you want to add. Just make sure if you have the german hef yeast that w/e flavor you want to add with play nicely with the flavor backing that yeast will provide naturally!

I personally love Hefe's... German Hefs are amazing, and brewing with American Hef yeast gives me so much room to play with flavor profiles. One of my fav beers to brew!

Lots of dry hops is a nice addition to a german Hefe. I'm a pretty big fan of the Schneider-Brooklyn Hopfen-Weisse, and also the Schneider Mein Nelson Sauvin.

Latest posts

Back