Need Help With Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismac619

Reaction score
I am new to Home brewing and have done one recipe kit already and it came good. I would like to take a shot at creating a recipe on my next batch I brew. here is what I have.

Sweet Chocolate Oatmeal Coffee Stout

step 1
Steep 1 lb Chocolate Malt (US), .75lb Roasted Barley, .5 lb Oats, Flaked, .75 lb Special B Malt, . at 160-170 fahrenheit for 30 min

Step 2
Bring to boil and stir in 3.3 light LME for 60min with 1.000 oz Kent Goldings bettering hops. last 15 min of boil add 1.5oz Chocolate nibs

Step 3
Flame out

Step 4
add 3.3 light LME, add 12oz lactose stir in

Step 5
chill wort

Step6
add 12 oz cold coffee and water to bring batch to 5 gallons, pitch yeast, and ferment for a week

Step 7
move to second fermentation and add 2 vanilla beans

Not sure how close I am to a drinkable beer, as well Im not sure how much water to start out with I was think 2.5 gallons. I'm trying to make a 5 gallon batch. Help is much appreciated

Pratzie said:
Ferment for longer, i'd say at least 10 days if not two weeks.

I'm also more of an advocate of adding cocao nibs and coffee in secondary as opposed to the hot wort but thats just me.

Thanks for the response. Do you think 2.5 gallons of water to start with is enough in the brew pot?I've never steeped this much specialty grain before.

Not to discourage you, but this is pretty adventurous for a second batch. Of it doesn't turn out right, it'll be pretty tough to pinpoint where you went wrong. Why not start with a proven recipe for an oatmeal or milk stout and just add either the chocolate OR the coffee. It can be tough to temper your enthusiasm, but a little restraint can go a long way towards making great beer...

It's a bit heavy on the Chocolate, Roasted Barley alittle goes a long ways nwith these. Special B is ok but I might cut it a bit personally, you will get nice color but it will add a fair amount of raisin flavors. I would increast the LME a bit too. I would also ad the coffee later in secondary you will get more aroma from it that way. I would use has much water as you can safely boil and then top to 5 gal. How big is your brew pot? I like the idea mocha-vanilla latte stout.....

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it I think I'm just going to go with the deception stout may be add two vanilla beans. I think everyone is right for my second brew this recipe might be a bit of a stretch.

Back