Need help picking Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoson

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I live in Brazil and getting the wine yeast brands I see here is this forum is pricy to me. Almost 10 U$ for a single Lalvin D47 :mad: (and it's just the toping of the cake, beer brewing here is expensive as hell and our beer sucks!!! T-T :off: )

So, after some days searching around the internet I found a store who sells yeast for larger wine productions in my country.

And they would be WAYYYY cheaper for me, 40 U$ for 1 to 2 pound's yeast pack (Able to make . They sell those 4 as follow: (They say to use 15-25 Grams for per 100 Liters )

-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Red and white Wines, commom grapes )
-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Red wines such as Cabernet, Merlot, Bordeaux)
-Saccharomyces cerevisiae r.f bayanus (white, red, Rosé and champagne .Have a high alcohol tolerance, low acid production, lower nutritional exigency and good Glycerol Production)
-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (white and aromatic wines. Niagara, Muscat and other sweeter grapes)

I know very little about yeast it and would like some help. Can some one point me how they relate to the brand name you guys have?

The only one I could figure easily was the Champagne yeast, but not sure if the would be like a Red Star Champagne Yeast.

Will be using the yeast more for Mead, but since some fruits such as pineapples and watermelon are really easy to find and cheap here, would love to do some 5 gallons batches of those :D.

They sell Bentonite, Sorbate, yeast energizer, potassium metabisulfite(same as the campden tablets I see around here. And there's a option for grounded version) and a lot of wine making stuff (and for Cachaça, know as Brazilian Rum in EUA ) :ban:.

Any help would be appreciated :mug:

What brand are you looking at? Lalvin ec-1118 is a pretty hardy, safe yeast.

Try each one in a small mead batch and see which you prefer. This might cost a bit more at first but once you find which yeast ferments to your liking just stick with it.

Cheers/

-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Red and white Wines, commom grapes )
-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (White wines such as Cabernet, Merlot, Bordeaux)
-Saccharomyces cerevisiae r.f bayanus (white, red, Rosé and champagne .Have a high alcohol tolerance, low acid production and lower nutritional exigency )
-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (white and aromatic wines. Niagara, Muscat and other sweeter grapes)

for mead, any of the above yeasts will work fine. now the question is, what kind of mead do you want to make? If you like your mead to be sweet, don't go for the champagne yeast. avoid red wine yeast if you don't like fruity.

mapping your list of yeasts to exactly something we can buy is impossible. those descriptions are very generic. there isn't enough information there to say "oh, that's D-47". the best you can do is go online, look at a few yeasts that fit those descriptions and make an average.

-Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (White wines such as Cabernet, Merlot, Bordeaux)
aside: funny that they give those wines as examples of white wine. there are white versions, but those wines are definitely known more as reds...

Oh my bad. Really made a mistake editing the post, will fix it (thank you for pointing ).

They don't give much info about the yeast's; all the important stuff is what I posted above (which is very little as you can see ). Will try contacting then tomorrow by Skype and see if I can get more details. If you can help pointing what else I need to ask about the yeast would be great ^^

I plan on making more medium to sweet meads. Most of those mead's will be melomel such as: Mango, Coconuts with Pineapple, pineapple, Star Fruit, Passion Fruit, Strawberry, Hog plun, Wild Berries, Orange, Lemon, guavas, others tasty fruits I might find easy at local farm market and some burnt honey mead .

From time to time a more dry and carbonated wine might be good ^^

Latest posts

Back