National Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just dropped off my three entries at Fedex and they're on their way to Denver.

I entered the following:

* British Brown Ale (13B)
* Chocolate / Coconut Porter (30A)
* Blueberry melomel w/ oak+vanilla (37A)

Looks like Denver doesn't judge until the end of April which kinda stinks. At least my beers shouldn't really degrade too much over that time.

Just dropped off my three entries at Fedex and they're on their way to Denver.

I entered the following:

* British Brown Ale (13B)
* Chocolate / Coconut Porter (30A)
* Blueberry melomel w/ oak+vanilla (37A)

Looks like Denver doesn't judge until the end of April which kinda stinks. At least my beers shouldn't really degrade too much over that time.

Yeah, I always entered at Denver in the past. This year I decided to give Seattle a try since they tend to judge earlier.

Yeah, I always entered at Denver in the past. This year I decided to give Seattle a try since they tend to judge earlier.

So the website says that April 25th the first round results should be posted. NYC is finishing their round on March 26th. Should I expect the NYC results prior to April 25th? Or do all 12 post at the same time?

So the website says that April 25th the first round results should be posted. NYC is finishing their round on March 26th. Should I expect the NYC results prior to April 25th? Or do all 12 post at the same time?

Assuming they do it the same as the last couple years, each site sends their results to the AHA after they've finished judging. The AHA will post them after they run them through a verification process. So the earlier ones tend to get posted first, later ones last.

Sacramento address was unable to deliver by USPS. Azzholes.

Apparently USPS is not recommended.. I now see why.

USPS is not recommended because it is illegal to send alcohol via USPS.

UPS and Fedex have "policies" in regard to alcohol, but it is not against the law.

Also - if they have a PO Box, that would be another reason USPS would not deliver to a street address perhaps.

USPS is not recommended because it is illegal to send alcohol via USPS.

My understanding as well. If you look at Entry Info on the competition site, it calls it out pretty clearly, "IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE". Elsewhere on the AHA's site under the NHC section on How To Ship Beer, they specifically indicate "Do not use USPS". So not really even a recommendation, they're pretty much telling you flat out not to ship USPS.

That said, wasn't the AHA in talks with the USPS in regards to shipping homebrew for competition purposes? I swear I heard an interview with Gary Glass where he mentioned they were hoping to reach an agreement. I'm not sure if that's something the Postmaster General can change, or if it takes an act of Congress. UPS and FedEx have worked well for me, but I've heard of packages being rejected if you're totally honest and tell them it's homebrew.

Myself and 3 other members of my homebrew club were able to meet at a friend's work warehouse and use his bulk shipping with UPS. Combined we shipped a full case of beer to the Philly site for $20, can't beat it. Entered only 2, Dry Stout and Schwarzbier.

Indianapolis should have completed judging this past weekend. Anyone heard how it went?

NY, StL and Tampa up next.

Indianapolis should have completed judging this past weekend. Anyone heard how it went?

NY, StL and Tampa up next.

Indy's best cider person was sick, so they were unable to finish one cider category on Saturday. That is all that is left and the organizer, who is on cider exam committee, will finish that this week.

FWIW I'm told every judge in Indy was BJCP
My friends and I did well; will wait for official word but apparently I can drink the rest of my ice cider bottles. It happens.

Cheers--
Michael

How long, historically, after judging do they post the results?

Last year, once the results from a region were complete and sent in, they were posted pretty fast. I want to say they were getting them up within 1 week of the regionals being finished last year.

If some comps have unfinished categories that they need to come back to, that will probably delay things until all results are compiled.

Anyone know how this weekend went? I noticed that 2 of my entries have different time stamps than the other 3..... what does this mean?!?!??? :) Here's to hoping NYC posts their results this week!

I noticed that 2 of my entries have different time stamps than the other 3..... what does this mean?!?!??? :)

Are you talking about the "updated" column on the entry page? If so, I believe those are basically the last date/time that you updated an entry (selected the category, changed the entry name, etc.)

Yes, but the dates are vastly different, and I didn't update my beers after I put them in. I have 3 that are within 5 minutes of this date 26/02/2017 at 9:39 AM, and 2 that are within 5 minutes of this date 09/02/2017 at 12:34 PM.

Yes, but the dates are vastly different, and I didn't update my beers after I put them in. I have 3 that are within 5 minutes of this date 26/02/2017 at 9:39 AM, and 2 that are within 5 minutes of this date 09/02/2017 at 12:34 PM.

But both of those dates are in February..... So, I don't know that it would have anything to do with judging..... Those time stamps are before you even shipped any beer.

Yeah, I'm aware, which is why I find it weird.... Eh, hopefully I'll know within a week or two....

Yeah my time stamps are September and November of this year. (As in the future) so I doubt it means much. I believe they have had the same time stamp the whole time.

Hahaha never mind ignore my post. I just realized they put the day before the month just like the whole world does except us good old Americans.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Wow. Really getting antsy waiting on Indy. I entered TN last year where they had major snafus and took 2wks to finish the judging. I really thought 1wk TOPS this year. How long does it take to verify results?

Wow. Really getting antsy waiting on Indy. I entered TN last year where they had major snafus and took 2wks to finish the judging. I really thought 1wk TOPS this year. How long does it take to verify results?

As mentioned earlier, they had some category(categories) to finish up with Indy. So, they actually were not finished judging on that weekend. Last year, I thought they were pretty good getting things turned around within 1 week of a competition being finished with their judging. I bet it will be about that this year too. Would not surprise me to see Indy up today or tomorrow and hopefully the ones this weekend will come in late this week or early next week.

Indy is posted.

NYC, Tampa, and Seattle are all verifying....

I swear I wasn't hitting F5 every 5 minutes.... ;)

As mentioned earlier, they had some category(categories) to finish up with Indy. So, they actually were not finished judging on that weekend. Last year, I thought they were pretty good getting things turned around within 1 week of a competition being finished with their judging. I bet it will be about that this year too. Would not surprise me to see Indy up today or tomorrow and hopefully the ones this weekend will come in late this week or early next week.

You called it! Indy results are posted.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/winners/

Indy's best cider person was sick, so they were unable to finish one cider category on Saturday. That is all that is left and the organizer, who is on cider exam committee, will finish that this week.

FWIW I'm told every judge in Indy was BJCP
My friends and I did well; will wait for official word but apparently I can drink the rest of my ice cider bottles. It happens.

Cheers--
Michael

Ever so humble Mike, congrats on the three first place entries! Please save a bottle of that ice cider though and bring it to Grand Rapids next month

Just got emailed PDFs of my score sheets from Seattle. No indication of placement, but two of my sours seemed to have scored well (38 average in one, 43 on the other). My two stouts didn't fare nearly as well.

Just got emailed PDFs of my score sheets from Seattle. No indication of placement, but two of my sours seemed to have scored well (38 average in one, 42 on the other). My two stouts didn't fare nearly as well.

Thats impressive, did they come from NHC email or just a cool judge sending you info?

Last year I got my PDFs from NYC well after the results had been posted, Seattle has their S#*t together!

Thats impressive, did they come from NHC email or just a cool judge sending you info?

Last year I got my PDFs from NYC well after the results had been posted, Seattle has their S#*t together!

They came from the Seattle Comp Organizer. Yeah, I usually enter at Denver but I decided to try Seattle this year. I think I usually got the Denver score sheets within a week or so of verified results getting posted.

Seeing all the ribbons going around is making me nervous about my Austin entries! Just another week until the judging, then the awful wait!

I judged in the Philadelphia competition yesterday but this year they didn't announce winners or allow you to pick up your scoresheet...let the waiting game begin.

I got my score sheets from NYC last night. I didn't ribbon on any of my 5. I got a 24, 31, 31, 39, and 39. One of my 39s got an honorable mention. I'm quite happy with my scores, but bummed that my 39s didn't move on. Ah well, on to next year!

I judged in the Philadelphia competition yesterday but this year they didn't announce winners or allow you to pick up your scoresheet...let the waiting game begin.

Were they finished? If so that is strange.

Back