BIAB vs Mash Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I brew the BIAB and often wounded if the quality of the beer is less than mashing out quality. I belong to a local homebrew club and we have competition between the members and most of the time the mashed beers have been winning the competition. For the most part all the entries are very good. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

My opinion is that it's down to the level of brewing experience. Long-time brewers predate BIAB culture and though BIAB has been a game changer, most folk follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim and are simply using the 3V systems they honed their skill on. There are some minor efficiency hurdles with BIAB but 'efficiency' is an objective measure that any brewers can deal with. 'Quality' takes skill acquired over time and is subjective anyway. Just give it time and you'll probably see the ratio shift.
:mug:

I brew the BIAB and often wounded if the quality of the beer is less than mashing out quality. I belong to a local homebrew club and we have competition between the members and most of the time the mashed beers have been winning the competition. For the most part all the entries are very good. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

What's the difference in process that you are referring to?
BIAB also utilizes a mash.

You're comparing 3 vessel to BIAB, or what?

What's the difference in process that you are referring to?
BIAB also utilizes a mash.

You're comparing 3 vessel to BIAB, or what?
Yes three vessel or equivalent brewing systems.

As others have stated, I also doubt BIAB vs 3v traditional is the major difference. I personally find my beers are much better when I pay very close attention to the smallest of details in the brew day, fermentation process, and kegging. So many opportunities for minute details to be overlooked that can turn an otherwise fantastic beer to a mediocre beer.

As others have stated, I also doubt BIAB vs 3v traditional is the major difference. I personally find my beers are much better when I pay very close attention to the smallest of details in the brew day, fermentation process, and kegging. So many opportunities for minute details to be overlooked that can turn an otherwise fantastic beer to a mediocre beer.
I agree. I started to make better beer when I put some focus on making better beer (water chemistry, fermentation temp, yeast health & pitch rate, avoiding oxidation, etc.). I think it was early 2000 when I "upgraded" from a basic 3-vessel system to BIAB. I don't see where the switch to BIAB had any impact on the quality of my beer (positive or negative), but it did shave a solid hour off my brew day. I have also done a decent job in competitions with my BIAB process, including using a very simple setup making 2.5 gal batches on my stove.

One reason I gave BIAB a try was that a friend that had won my local club's Brewer of the Year had moved to BIAB. I figured I should at least give it a try. The best homebrewer I know uses a 3-vessel system, but I think it is more that he is a great brewer that understands his equipment and process. Lots of guys at my local club made excellent beer using all-in-one system.

BIAB does not make inferior wort by rule. There are many ways to make inferior wort on all types of systems. The most successful brewers in my circle of peers, club, etc all use BIAB (silver medals at NHC, state brewing champions, etc). Wort production is a very small part of the equation and other than neglect of water chemistry/mash pH and possibly stale ingredients, there isn't much to go wrong there. I'd argue that sparging would make a bad mash pH problem a lot worse.

There are more ways to screw up a beer on the cold side. Oxygen damage, contamination, wild temp swings, poor yeast health to name a few.

Back