My mostly automated brucontrol setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a link for were you sourced your pressure sensors?

No, how would I they are brand new :)

Not sure where the filter is or if it can plug with vacuuming nitrogen. I have other pumps if they don't work out.
well theres no filter on the pump iself. My point was these pumps dont handle resistance all that well from my experience and the vacuum itself will cause that and may rupture the tiny diaphram material they use. It depends on the amount of vacuum I guess since these are vary similar in design to an aquarium air pump.

We use these to pump ink up to reservoirs in the printer carriage and there are ink filters before the pump inline. We do use smaller vacuum pumps for creating low vacuum in the resevoir tanks above the printheads which also keeps gravity from letting the ink drip out of the printheads but those pumps are of a different design with airstone mufflers on the exhaust side.

I am not actually creating a vacuum persay. I am using them to augment purging. I can purge much faster and more efficient if I pull a "suction" from the top of the vessel.

The great solder marathon continues.

Ran out of some stuff so had to turn to the panel while waiting for supplies.

12 valves remain
2 pressure sensors
3 pH probes
3 do probes
2 MFM cables

Done with 8 valves
11 temp probes
1 pressure sensor
3 flow sensors.

Turned my attention to the panel soldering. There are 32-3 pin connections and 8-10 pin connections for the MFM’s, DO and PH. I removed the 10 conductor cables and soldered those outside of the panel but the rest are soldered in panel.

Completed and tested the 10-1wire probes.
Completed and tested the flow sensors.
Completed and tested the pressure sensors.

I apologize for the disheveled panel pictures but I will tidy it all when I am done soldering.

Some recent photos.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Well I guess I can solder....

All the 10 pin connectors came up.
IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

I needed a mental health break from soldering and wiring so I turned to control interface design. Came up with the underlay and I think I liked how it turned out.

IMG_1315.jpg

Back to wiring tomorrow.

@Die_Beerery, how many valves are in this system? I tried to keep the number as low as I could. Also, how did you create the graphics for the different devices? Specifically, how did you manage to scale some of them down so small and keep them readable? I like the way you have the workspace laid out. I'd really like to have the background be an actual photo of my stand, and then overlay the devices where they actually exist. It would help me visualize a little better, I think.

What would be really cool is for @BrunDog to add to his list for version 2.0 is the ability to create an animated workspace that incorporates all of the devices and shows the liquid flow synchronized to the state of the valves and pumps. No pressure. Any time now. :)

This is how my actual system will lay out. So I built it to be more intuitive as well.

I used paint 3D and photoshop to do what I wanted. I still have some stuff to cleanup/add/Fix. But it’s pretty much done I think. If you tap a valve that will manually turn it on/off.
I want my look more of a professional PLC system.

Last count 24 valves. 9 alone for purging stuff, they will most likely be solenoids though.

Forgot I had 2 Massflow sesnors..... Updated underlay.. now back to wiring.

Attachments

• interface.jpg
    interface.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 177
Re-tweaked the interface...I like how it's shaping up.

Attachments

• interface.jpg
    interface.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 178
I just realized I have no idea the capacity of the rig that you are putting together. The enclosure looks fit for about a 50-bbl system, but what size batches are you brewing with it?

Same here. I went with basic Ss 30-gallon kettles. Punched my own holes. Next time, I would take them to someone else to punch to my specs. I am not a metalworker. They don't leak, but they ain't pretty, either.

Same here. I went with basic Ss 30-gallon kettles. Punched my own holes. Next time, I would take them to someone else to punch to my specs. I am not a metalworker. They don't leak, but they ain't pretty, either.

Yea, I partnered with stout and we custom designed a line of "low oxygen kettles", so the system is based off those. http://www.********************/stout-tanks-and-kettles-llc/

Been pretty slow on the system as of late. Finishing the basement, and trying to get my yard ready.

Played with my chiller and fermenters this weekend.

Got a used chiller for really cheap, but it needed some tlc. Cleaned it out, gave it a tune up, and filled her back up.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Been pretty slow on the system as of late. Finishing the basement, and trying to get my yard ready.

Played with my chiller and fermenters this weekend.

Got a used chiller for really cheap, but it needed some tlc. Cleaned it out, gave it a tune up, and filled her back up.

View attachment 571573
View attachment 571574
View attachment 571575
View attachment 571576
View attachment 571577
View attachment 571578
View attachment 571579
View attachment 571580
View attachment 571581
Be careful with that pump. Not sure what kind of pump it is. But if it is a rotary vein pump it could exceed the psi rating of your conical. (Though I could be wrong).

Point might still be valid but those don't appear to be jacketed Stout conicals, I assumed DB is running coils attached through the lids?

Cheers!

Looks like a good test to demonstrate the need for insulation! @Die_Beerery, what is the rating of the compressor for the chiller? My rig is similar, and uses a ½-hp (0.37kW) compressor that runs on R-12. Also, what is the capacity of the reservoir, and have you run a test to see how cold you can get the glycol solution?

@Die_Beerery my reservoir is about 11 gallons, and it took me less than three hours to take it from 84ºF to 18ºF. I haven't tried to see how low it will go. Here's a screencap of three hours' activity in BruControl:

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 5.23.38 AM.png

I attached me qd’s then filled all the coils to the fermenters, then topped it off again. I am a little over and hour into it.
IMG_1677.jpg

Qd’s and such.
IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

This is not the final piping. Only temp until I get it in its place.

Tweaked the fermenting interface today. It’s starting to shape up.
View attachment 571861

Last edited:
Back