My mostly automated brucontrol setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Control panel layout as of today..

All sensors check out.
control panel interface.png

I think the maiden auto brew voyage will commence Saturday

Getting really close! Started closing her up. T minus 36hrs till blastoff. We are either going to the moon or gonna blow up!

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

I'm fascinated with the background graphics of your control panel layout. If you don't mind me asking what program did you use to design your control panel layout (kettles,sight glass,valves,chillers etc..) with?
Best of luck with the initial launch!!!

I'm fascinated with the background graphics of your control panel layout. If you don't mind me asking what program did you use to design your control panel layout (kettles,sight glass,valves,chillers etc..) with?
Best of luck with the initial launch!!!

Thanks

Microsoft paint 3d

Brewed a few batches of beer this weekend found some issues and bugs nothing that can't be fixed. Re-tweaked the fermentation interface. Ordered the parts today for automating the fermenter transfer and auto spunding.
39512486_1221972707945327_8219482933891694592_o.jpg

Added a digital TDS meter to the brewery. It will Monitor tds and email me when tds levels get to unacceptable ranges.

de3e23713115e7fd923698c71cda52a4.jpg

e899f7354361121630ead722822092f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bunch of batches though the systems and have all scripting issues figured out (all my fault). Brucontrol has exceeded my expectations, which is a really big deal.

I am working on putting it all together now, the whole brewing process from start to finish.

There are a few areas I need to explore. Namely malt storage, malt transportation, hoping, and fermenter to keg transfers.. I just finished with my "auto spunding" setup, so carbontation is set.

Brewed again Sunday. Just a few setting left to tweak. It went very well.

Spunding has been flawless as well. It's been rock solid, the only dip is me taking a sample. Red line pressure, Black line PRV opening.

Attachments

• spunding.png
    spunding.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 146
Update for those who care.

Still tweaking and adding stuff. Hardware wise only 3 things are left.. On the list is Hop additions, grain delivery, and grain storage. I plan on working on these things in that order.

Whats new?

Added pressure sensors to the brewing vessels to monitor pressure for purging and vac.
Added N2 tank solenoid
Added HLT Boil valve
Added BK Boil valve
Added Mash Bypass valve
Added Fermenter volume sensors (x4) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
Added more spunding setups (x4)
Added co2 tank monitoring with high pressure sensors, created a dynamic script showing % left (based on temp and pressure), and alarm notifications for leaks and low tanks (x3)
Closed up the Panel
Revised some scripts
Modified my brew buckets for larger valves (x2) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

Panel Completed:
H4mNybu.jpg

C4BMNlc.jpg

Revised Brewing Interface:

YHlE0W8.png

Revised Fermentation interface, Tank volumes in top right
tgVgR7E.png

Fermenter Modification
GXxYqqZ.jpg

Some beers are finally starting to fill the pipeline. They are not quite ready, but close enough to start drinking.
Festbier:
72% Barke pils
20% Barke vienna
8% carahell
24ibu

G8KQttt.jpg

Marzen:
80% Barke Munich
10% Barke Pils
5% carared
5% caraaroma
2oz sinamar (for color)
24ibu
ltDJRv1.jpg

Keller Pils
80% Barke Pils
20% light Munich
45ibu

YyMFLLm.jpg

What boggles my mind is how clean and simple your panel layout is, yet at the same time demonstrates the endless and complex possibilities BruControl has to offer. Well done Die_Beerery you have definitely taken this to the next level. :mug:

What boggles my mind is how clean and simple your panel layout is, yet at the same time demonstrates the endless and complex possibilities BruControl has to offer. Well done Die_Beerery you have definitely taken this to the next level. :mug:

Thanks! If you can dream it, brucontrol can pretty much handle it. I am living proof there!

How are you currently doing hop additions? if the system is purged and sealed, how are you adding hops at desired time-points?

Another question...are your HIM Hart loops each 2 analog out or 3 analog out?

Cool I bought the correct ones then. Wasn't sure if you could loop in-line with the HIM into the 24mA out of the 9712 and use 2ao (cheaper) from the HIM and 1 from the 9712 for the arduino, or if the 9712 needed a dedicated line to the HIM. This is simpler though. My 9712s, DS100s, HIMs, and smart 268 remote should be here next week. Might have some questions for you then. To start how did you clean the units when you received them. Just PBW?

IMG_9260.JPG
MM Mass Flow DS100H
IMG_9261.JPG
Better condition then expected one was a bit dirty but should clean up nice.
IMG_9269.JPG
Bigger then I expected.
redo.jpg

10" welded tri clamp fittings ordered from china for the 3 kettles (x3). drilling and welding several 1.5 inch tri-clover fittings into each.
IMG_9282.JPG
pressure sensor spec'd from china. 0-3psi, 3x burst rating, 0.2% FS, 150C rated, X6. For Hydrostatic pressure volume determination of the pressurized vessels.
IMG_9283.JPG
HIMS for the FRT 9712s arrived
IMG_9284.JPG
3750 boil coil for the BK.
IMG_9285.JPG
1 of 2 RTF 9712s due to arrive.
IMG_9289.JPG
2 x 5500 W ripples for the HLT.

Buch of crap still due to arrive like bunch of Broadley J DO sensors and Ph probes, Rosemount 1056 boxes, MT DO boxes, Hoffman Enclosure, relay boards, flow sensors, etc. Still need to get valves ordered from china also.

Hoping to get a good amount of welding done over thanksgiving on the kettles.

Attachments

• IMG_9281.JPG
    IMG_9281.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
View attachment 598031 MM Mass Flow DS100HView attachment 598032Better condition then expected one was a bit dirty but should clean up nice. View attachment 598034Bigger then I expected.
View attachment 598042
10" welded tri clamp fittings ordered from china for the 3 kettles (x3). drilling and welding several 1.5 inch tri-clover fittings into each.View attachment 598037pressure sensor spec'd from china. 0-3psi, 3x burst rating, 0.2% FS, 150C rated, X6. For Hydrostatic pressure volume determination of the pressurized vessels. View attachment 598038HIMS for the FRT 9712s arrived View attachment 5980393750 boil coil for the BK. View attachment 5980401 of 2 RTF 9712s due to arrive. View attachment 5980412 x 5500 W ripples for the HLT.

Buch of crap still due to arrive like bunch of Broadley J DO sensors and Ph probes, Rosemount 1056 boxes, MT DO boxes, Hoffman Enclosure, relay boards, flow sensors, etc. Still need to get valves ordered from china also.

Hoping to get a good amount of welding done over thanksgiving on the kettles.

Where did you get the pressure sensors?

Hi All,
I'll start a new thread this thanksgiving break been busy welding the frame together out of SS all weekend. More parts arrived like my Hoffman box i'll also update.

Where did you get the pressure sensors?
I ordered them to specification in china using alibaba. Specifically, Company: Shaanxi Qijia Automation Technology Co.,Ltd.

The specs are:
Model: CAP-WS Pressure Sensor
Accuracy 0.2%
Pressure Type: Gauge (G)
Range:0-20kPa
Temperature Range:-40-150 degree
C
Output:4-20mA
Power:24V
Connection: tri-calmp 1.5 inch
(clamp mounting 50.4mm)

I sifted through a dozen supplies and took a lot of quotes before choosing them primarily on price and reputation.
I went with a little higher pressure rating (20kPa instead of 10) and higher burst rating (3x). At a 3psi max pressure, .2% FS accuracy i should get about 0.2 gallon of volume accuracy while still having enough room to pressurize the vessels to 2-3psi with N2. I bought 2 per vessel, and intend to subtract the head pressure from the vessel base pressure to calculate volume. In theory I should be able to do this https://www.viatran.com/static/medi..._notes/liquid_level_measurement_tech_note.pdf

In practice will find out soon enough how well it works compared to flow rate based calcs.

Back