My last cider - Safale S-04 strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukubau

Reaction score
Hi all

Here's the last (hard) cider I've fermented using Safale S-04 yeast and pressed apple juice from my orchard (all desert apples). My 5th batch ever and the first one using this yeast strain. Nottingham was my preferred yeast, until now.

1.050 SG - 1.006 FG - 5.78% potential ABV%. No sweetener, sugars added beforehand to increase the SG.

Incredible apple retention and body for such a low FG. I didn't want to let it go all the way.

What do you think?

_20190402_184256.JPG

Looks great! S04 is one of my go to yeasts. It really cold crashes awesome and forms solid lees doing so -- flavor profile of completed cider is fantastic.

Cheers and Good Luck!

We racked our S-04 from October into a keg last week. We pulled it off of primary after 2 weeks, it was our first time with S-04 and it was pretty much done at that time, it was 1.005. When we kegged it last week, it was at 0.098. It's been carbing at 12 psi for a week, and is pretty good. I think it would have been extraordinary in another 6-8 months, but we need stuff to drink, lol. This is what ours looked like at 4 months.
IMG_20190402_175303929.jpg

We currently have 15 gallons of Notty, and 8 gallons of D47 that we are deciding what to do with. I think we're going to leave 5 gallons of the Notty and all of the D47 alone until this fall. We sampled the Notty on Sunday, and are going to keg that carboy in another day or two. Oh, and we started another 30 gallons on Sunday as well. :ban:

Back