My first SMaSH Brew (2-row and amarillo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArchM77

Reaction score
I wanted my first SMaSH to be really really basic, so that I could get to the flavor basics. I know people have recommended against 2-row for a SMaSH but I want to start there just cause it's so common in recipes that it would be good to taste it on its own. Going on other people's tips I have a really light hop schedule with the 2-row, but still come out with a BU:GU ratio of 0.47 as follows

9 lbs 2-row mashed for one hour at 151F (75% efficiency)
60 mins: 0.5 oz amarillo
30 mins: 0.25 oz amarillo
15 mins: 0.25 oz amarillo

I'm hoping for a really drinkable, non-craft-brew-drinkers beer. Some of my family is coming in a few months and they are avid bud drinkers. I want to show them a homebrew that's better, but that they'll still drink. Any tips?

EDIT: Also I'm gonna use S-05, again because it's basic. The whole point of all this "basic" is to add, tweak, and change more and more in my later brews (and know what I'm doing with it).

Increase the length of your boil to get some additional caramelization and complexity from the two row. Malt character is hard to come by with just plain old 2-row. I know you are set on using 2-row but I would advocate using a good pale ale malt. It will be kilned slightly darker (3-4L) and impart a bit more character. Other than that, I like the idea.

There's more than a few variants of 2-row malt you know... UK Pale Ale is 2-row malt. So is Maris Otter, which is a GREAT base malt and even better in a SMaSH. I have a MO SMaSH recipe that I'm brewing as often as possible now. In fact, it's probably going to be the first batch I brew when I've moved to my new home (apartment or house, not sure just yet). Need to be sure I have enough on hand so that I don't run out. That means moving the volume (into keg) up another notch. Last batch filled three 3 gallon kegs. Next brewing will be slated to fill four 3 gallon kegs. Or maybe two 3 gallon and one 5 gallon (depends on how soon I get a keezer online).

Point is, you can get a 2-row base malt that easily stands up in a SMaSH recipe.

Ok, so I had to change the hops to Citra because my LHBS didn't have any amarillo. I figured citra might be good too since it also has a tropical/fruity flavor profile.

I am using just plain old american pale 2-row against recommendations, but hey, experimentation is what this is all about. Since the Citra has an AA% of 15.6 my hop schedule will be 0.25 oz at 60, 15, and 5 mins. That will give me 25 IBUs, with a OG of 1.050.

As you can see that comes to a BU:GU ratio of 0.5, exactly in the middle of hoppy and malty. In the end I might just name this beer Boredom Ale because of how unexciting it's recipe is. The plan is to brew on Sat. I'll let you guys know how this turns out. (Oh, and don't worry kraftbier and golddiggie , my next SMaSH will be either vienna or MO.)

I'm hoping for a really drinkable, non-craft-brew-drinkers beer. Some of my family is coming in a few months and they are avid bud drinkers. I want to show them a homebrew that's better, but that they'll still drink. Any tips?

As you are brewing it for Bud drinkers, I do not know about Citra as the hop-- might be too much going on for them. I would use a noble hop like Tett, EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or their US relations (Willamette, etc.) and keep IBU's at ~15.

Edit- If you can split boil, I would do 1/2 for them [noble hops] and 1/2 for you to try [citra]

As you are brewing it for Bud drinkers, I do not know about Citra as the hop-- might be too much going on for them. I would use a noble hop like Tett, EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or their US relations (Willamette, etc.) and keep IBU's at ~15.

Yes. Amarillo is grapefruity - you'll end up with tropical fruit flavor. I'd go with one of the hops above also.

The 2-row will definately make a light, mostly tasteless beer. If that's what you want, it's the right malt. I know, I've got a 2-row / saaz SMaSH on tap right now (lager). I made it for my guzzling neighbor, but he came down with gout :(

If you want more flavor from your basic 2-Row you always drain your first gallon into a separate pot and heat it on the stove top while you are boiling the rest as you regularly would then add it back with a few minutes in the boil. You can get some darker color and caramel flavors from this I guess. I just did this for the first time a few months ago for a Scottish 80 and have yet to actually try the finished product but the test samples tasted good!

How much are you planning on the BMC (PYB) drinking? If you will be consuming most of it keep that it mind. Personally, if i am in the same situation, i usually do a semi hoppy blonde with dry hops. Nice and light, not bitter, but also something i can enjoy the leftovers of as well.

There's never much update on these SMaSH threads about how things turn out so I just wanted to update. I bottled the beer tonight after it was in the primary for just over 3 weeks. It ended up having and FG of 1.011 and abv of 4.7%, which I am very happy with. It also tasted delicious so far. I'll post again in about 2 weeks when it's carb'd with a picture. Now I'm off to plan my next SMaSH.

I would mash higher for body if you're only using 2-row. 154 F should be great.

As far as the hop bill in your original recipe. It looks good, except I would definitely add a tonnn of late hops and dryhops to that schedule. That's where all your flavor and aroma will come from (not that acrid bitterness you're afraid of).

Agreed on the longer boil time for a beer like this.

Pretty sure the whole point of this beer was to make it appeal to a BMC crowd, hence the minimal hopping that was used.

Although if I was making it you're darn right it would have about 8 oz of hops!

I don't think that the BMC crowd is handicapped when it comes to flavor and aroma. They can certainly taste and smell just like the rest of us. What I do think they have a hard time with is the typical high level of bitterness associated with IPAs. Hence, if you're a good brewer, you can ease back on this bitterness while providing a ton of flavor and aroma from the late hops and dryhops.

There's never much update on these SMaSH threads about how things turn out so I just wanted to update. I bottled the beer tonight after it was in the primary for just over 3 weeks. It ended up having and FG of 1.011 and abv of 4.7%, which I am very happy with. It also tasted delicious so far. I'll post again in about 2 weeks when it's carb'd with a picture. Now I'm off to plan my next SMaSH.

how did that SMASH turn out? I've been looking for recipe like this to start SMASHing also, but in 1 gallon recipes.

I brewed the SMASH i was thinking of last week. It was 2.0LBS 2 row american pale malt, cascade hops, and english ale yeast. OG was 1.050. It's been fermenting in primary for 9 days, I may move it to a secondary soon, then bottle after about 1 week of secondary.

Back