My First Beer Related iPhone App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markrickert

Reaction score
Well... not exactly brewing software, but this was the most relevant place for me to post it.

I wrote an iPhone (iOS) app that will convert a liquid volume of beer at a given price into what that price would be as a six-pack.

So that $4 pint at your local brewpub? At that price, a six-pack would be $18!
Or you might also want to know that your 5 gallon of homebrew would cost $3.94 per six-pack if you ingredients cost $35.

Check it out on the itunes store here: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/six-pack-equivalent-calculator/id414522449?mt=8

And my page about it on my website here: http://homebrewparadise.com/six-pack-calculator/

Let me know what you think and if you like my app, check out a few of the ads since the app is free!

Cheers!
:mug:

-Mark

I think maybe you don't get the concept. It converts liquid volumes at a given price.

I understand that perfectly. But what use does it have? I know that when I go to a bar, I'm spending 4 times more than I should on beer. I also know that the six pack will be cheaper. So...how does knowing how much a six pack of "bar beers" costs help me?

Well....no one ever said the HBT crew would be easy on ya! You definitely came to the right place for honest, unbiased criticism.

I was only joking, btw. I couldn't create a calculator that divided by 1, so you have me beat.

:mug:

How about adding a feature that keeps track of how much money you spend on beer? I'd actually like to know that.

I'd agree with you if it made someone look like they were saying something else, but when it's a deliberate joke to make a different point of view, I'm sorry, but I see no harm.

OK, I just installed this app. It's actually pretty neat. I know when I'm doing recipes, buying kegs, etc. I'm always figuring out what the "equivalent" cost is for a beer. I'm usually doing it at a per (12 oz) beer though, not a 6 pack.

Any chance when you do an update you could change the bottom cost to show both the 6 pack price and a single beer price?

A six-pack at this price would cost:
$6.39
which is only $1.07 per 12 oz. beer!

Any chance when you do an update you could change the bottom cost to show both the 6 pack price and a single beer price?

Definitely. That's on the list for the next update. I want to keep the size the same on the font, so i may make it so that you can tap the price and it switches between a 6-pack or a single 12oz beer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Couple of other thoughts:
- Can you call up a numeric only keypad for input so letters/symbols can't be entered?
- For appearance and consistency, you may want to add the 2 decimal places if someone enters a whole number or a single decimal place.

It's funny that there is an age disclaimer on the app. :drunk: Damn Apple lawyers.

Can you call up a numeric only keypad for input so letters/symbols can't be entered?

I tried to do that (this is only my first app... gotta start somewhere). There's a number and decimal point keyboard, but that keyboard doesn't have a "DONE" button... so i struggled to get that working, and ultimately settled on using the default keyboard for now. This is definitely on my to-do list.

For appearance and consistency, you may want to add the 2 decimal places if someone enters a whole number or a single decimal place.

This is also on my to-do list.

By the way markrickert...I didn't mean to come off as an ass. I was just messing around with you. As said before...I couldn't create an app, so "one upped" me.

It's all good... when literally millions of people use your software or websites (not this app... YET...), you learn to let things like that roll off your back. I was trying to explain how I found it useful.

I just think, that, with millions of apps out there for iphones...you really need to make something that no one has thought of. Hard to do, but possible. I'm still waiting for a really good homebrew app to come out. Something that can store recipes, do calculations, keep times on mash and boils, etc...

I know there's a few good homebrew apps out there...but nothing that does everything I'd like. I'd gladly pay $10 for an app that can meet most of the needs for a homebrewer.

Another good idea would be to come up with an app that saves your ingredient inventory. I'm always going through my ingredients and writing down lists of what I have. But..it's a PITA. If I had an app where I could just plug in what I buy, then whenever I write a recipe, it would subtract from that...it'd be great. I know beertools (what I use) has the capabilty of doing this...I just find it more convenient if it's on a phone.

Back