My Corny Keg O-ring Went For a Swim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damon Chango

Reaction score
Well I just finished chilling an IPA and went to add my gelatin finings then heard a splash. The o-ring on the keg lid must of stuck to the top of the keg when I removed the lid. Needless to say it's now resting peacefully on the bottom...... Should I be worried and try to fish it out, leave it there, or do I need to drink 5 gallons of IPA quickly.

Damon

Well I just finished chilling an IPA and went to add my gelatin finings then heard a splash. The o-ring on the keg lid must of stuck to the top of the keg when I removed the lid. Needless to say it's now resting peacefully on the bottom...... Should I be worried and try to fish it out, leave it there, or do I need to drink 5 gallons of IPA quickly.

Damon

Brings back memories of a "rubber stopper porter". In my early days of brewing, I was helping a buddy as he worked to install an airlock on his carboy. The rubber stopper was being recalcitrant and did not want to stay on the carboy. So he forced it into the neck of the carboy when it then slipped from the airlock and into the soon to be fermenting porter. We, like you, worried that the beer would be ruined. Lo and behold it wound up being a success with no discernible off-flavors or rubbery taste. The morale of the story: Your beer will be fine.

Thanks, now I can sleep better..... I wasn't looking forward telling my buddies I ruined the beer.

Damon

I've done the same thing with a carboy stopper. Fortunately had another one I could use; it was getting the darn thing out once the beer was racked that was a PITA. Finally found an old wire coat hanger that got turned into a hook to get it out.

Luckily I have spare o-rings for my kegs. Did some worrying for no reason, we tapped the keg last night, and beer was great.

Damon

Back