Mostly Rye recipe.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stealthcruiser

Reaction score
Got anything?
I have about 20 pounds of malted Rye available, and about 12 pounds of Pale malt, ( both locally grown and malted), by some farmers, bakers, and homebrewers near to me.

Batch sparge.
Rice hulls available, if needed, ( needed with Rye?)

Looking to do a 5 gallon batch, to be kegged, and it may be single hop beer, as I've not checked the stash in the freezer yet.

5-7% abv.

I like a Rye beer, but have never brewed one..........And the malts are freebies.

Anyone have a tried and true recipe ,( Rye dominant),within these parameters?

Thanks !

The following recipe says "wheat" but was actually originally based on rye, and won an award or two with the rye. This is one of my favorite original recipes. Enjoy. And don't worry if you can't find Palisade hops, any noble hop is fine in my opinion.

Cheers.

32911161287_a7a816627d_o.png

Any time I have gone over 25% of the grain bill, it gets cough syrupy. When I use rye now, I tend to go low gravity and include a simple sugar to keep the body under control. YMMV.

I'm sipping on a 5% abv rye blonde right now that includes only 16% rye, and it drinks like a way bigger beer.

I do a Rye ale with these proportions, using California Lager yeast (810 or 2112):

11# Maris Otter
3# Rye Malt
7 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye
Big handful rice hulls

.5 oz Columbus AA 14.9 60 min
.5 oz Columbus AA 14.9 20 min
2 oz Styrian Celeia 2.5 AA 10 min

Mash 153 degrees.

Ferment @ 64 degrees, ramp up to 69 when krausen falls, leave it there for 2 days, then back down to 64 for another week, then package.

The Chocolate Wheat helps with head retention and gives it a wonderful dark color. To me, rye bread is dark bread, and a rye beer should also have that characteristic.

ryebeer.jpg

If you plan on going more than 15% rye in the grain bill I'd recommend doing a beta-glucan rest unless you want cough syrup. Flavor wise, don't expect to be blown away. Rye adds a lovely earthy character, but if you do 100% I'd highly recommend going BIAB.

I do a Rye ale with these proportions, using California Lager yeast (810 or 2112):

11# Maris Otter
3# Rye Malt
7 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye
Big handful rice hulls

.5 oz Columbus AA 14.9 60 min
.5 oz Columbus AA 14.9 20 min
2 oz Styrian Celeia 2.5 AA 10 min

Mash 153 degrees.

Ferment @ 64 degrees, ramp up to 69 when krausen falls, leave it there for 2 days, then back down to 64 for another week, then package.

The Chocolate Wheat helps with head retention and gives it a wonderful dark color. To me, rye bread is dark bread, and a rye beer should also have that characteristic.

View attachment 628852

Looks great.

They do make a chocolate rye malt also, which I have used as a tweak to my recipe posted earlier, with fantastic results.

Back