Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't have my next 5 or so batches already planned and shopped for I'd be doing that. Keep us posted.

And remember, without photos, it didn't happen. :fro:

I like to make a Black and Tan right in front of them and let them try to explain how a Heavy beer can float on top of a light one. There is always a couple who think that it's all in the pour and will try it it in reverse always makes me laugh:D

Thanks, guys. I just might make this happen. I'm getting more determined than ever. I just need to figure out a way to keep the light dark-colored beer an ale and the light-colored monster a lager. I understand Thomas Hardy's uses a lager yeast..maybe that's an angle I can work.

If you huys are interested in following along or giving pointers, I may start a planning thread this weekend in the Recipes section. I'll try to carve out the time, anyway. Feel free to jump in if you see it happen.

I smoke cigars also and on occasion have taken a travel humidor with some decent cigars to social gatherings. As some of us would sit around sharing cigars with each other, inevitably some other guy or girl always comes up (also usually drunk) and swears they love cigars and can they have one? That encounter would most often wind up with a barely smoked but slobbered on $8 cigar which goes to waste (and one less I can share with a true cigar smoker). So, I learned through the years to ask a quick screening question: What cigars have you smoked before? What's your favorite kind of wrapper? What ring gauge do you usually smoke? Their answer tells me whether I offer them a choice A or choice B cigar... sorry can't afford to throw away good cigars.

I'm wondering if I should do the same with my precious homebrew. Scrape the labels off of some bottles of BMC and offer one of those ... like that? Yeah I have more if you want them. Hate that? Hold on let me open the real cooler.

My beer fridge is "lloooaaaadddeddd"". Having said that, if I offer a beer and they say "whadya have" I'll give em the list. If they say "u got any bud light"?? I say u betcha! And give em some. Cause I always keep some cheap Bl on hand for these folks

I get lots, but the I just can't stand (everyone has herd it I think)

"Ow, I don't like dark beer" as I shake my head looking threw a IPA

As I've said before, most people who say that are looking for something barely distinguishable from water - I've had at least one person tell me that a cream ale of mine (which is all of 3.2 SRM) was too dark and heavy for them. They could magically tell how heavy it was from looking at it, of course. :confused:

OTOH, I do love the reaction I get with my Trippel Diamond, which is 5.5 SRM and 1.008 FG but packs a whopping 10% ABV. Before brewing that, I'd used Duvel to much the same effect.

So, I finally got the "Oh, so you're an alcoholic?!" response this morning. It was actually quite hilarious because it came from a lady that I work with who is really very nice. It was just funny the way she said it.

So, I finally got the "Oh, so you're an alcoholic?!" response this morning. It was actually quite hilarious because it came from a lady that I work with who is really very nice. It was just funny the way she said it.

Spent a few years in places that near beer was all I had access to. Crap stuff, but I'd drink some occasionally anyway. I always loved laughing at the irony of the oft spoken phrase "you must be an alcoholic to drink that stuff."

Thanks, guys. I just might make this happen. I'm getting more determined than ever. I just need to figure out a way to keep the light dark-colored beer an ale and the light-colored monster a lager. I understand Thomas Hardy's uses a lager yeast..maybe that's an angle I can work.

If you huys are interested in following along or giving pointers, I may start a planning thread this weekend in the Recipes section. I'll try to carve out the time, anyway. Feel free to jump in if you see it happen.

Does it matter that much Guld? I keep some 8.5% blonde/cream on hand for just specific reasons. These aren't what I try to demonstrate my brewing ability with exactly, but they sure lay out the non-believers. Their headache.

Isn't that what we look for sometimes, LOL?

I suppose not. But I like projects, and I like to mess with people and their expectations, so why not? Plus, I'm kinda attracted to the challenge.

And try and convince them to wear a blind fold first time they drink it, and video them otherwise they will think you switched out the beers when the blindfold is removed :D

And try and convince them to wear a blind fold first time they drink it, and video them otherwise they will think you switched out the beers when the blindfold is removed :D

I'll just have to try this with someone smaller than me, or else it could end up like an episode of Messin' with Sasquatch. :D

I got a similar one of "You must really like beer." Reply with "Doesn't everyone like beer." Them: "Uhh, um..." *walks away*

I'll just have to try this with someone smaller than me, or else it could end up like an episode of Messin' with Sasquatch. :D

I'd introduce them to the concept telling them it's a variation on the Pepi Challenge. If you don't have an impartial mediator nearby serve out of two noticeably different glasses. They won't have a choice but to believe you.

omg i get asked about moonshiners 95% of the time and i've never even seen the show. apparently there are like 2 brewing tv shows out there that i get asked about, neither of which i have seen.

i don't own a TV

Just tell them how stupid and fake it is.

Oh you need to sneak around in the woods and keep things top secret to the fuzz doesn't find you? LETS BRING A CAMERA CREW.

Oh, you're going to smuggle some liquor in to town on a scary run with cops around looking for just this exact thing? LETS FOLLOW YOU IN ANOTHER CAR AND FILM YOU.

Oh, you're having a friend dump some grain by the side of the road in a secret location, and things need to happen really quickly so the cops or passers by don't see? HANG ON LET ME SET UP MY CAMERA CREW BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD FIRST.

Like seriously. I did learn how to make a still though. And that dude with the beard is pretty cool.

Brew a very low gravity simple ale and darken it up with Midnight Wheat.
Then brew a Belgian Tripel with only pils malt and a few lbs of sugar. Mash low, ferment warm. Then have them try both beers!

I got this one a few times. My answer is " Nosir, I don't go to meetings."

:D

Just tell them how stupid and fake it is.

Oh you need to sneak around in the woods and keep things top secret to the fuzz doesn't find you? LETS BRING A CAMERA CREW.

Oh, you're going to smuggle some liquor in to town on a scary run with cops around looking for just this exact thing? LETS FOLLOW YOU IN ANOTHER CAR AND FILM YOU.

Oh, you're having a friend dump some grain by the side of the road in a secret location, and things need to happen really quickly so the cops or passers by don't see? HANG ON LET ME SET UP MY CAMERA CREW BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD FIRST.

Like seriously. I did learn how to make a still though. And that dude with the beard is pretty cool.

Exactly.

A guy I work with has been operating a small one, and he doesn't believe me when I tell him you actually have to cook the corn, and use malted barley to convert the starches to sugars. His reply "they don't do it on moonshiners".

I do beleive you'd have a hard time catchin up to my step grandad. He was what we called a "runner" down home in his day. Even at like 74 years old,that old boy could drive through them mountains like Fangio! Seriously. I was 4 years old,& had been watching F1 for about 3 years already. By that time,Fangio had already won his 5th world driving championship. I watched him do it at the Nurbergring,1957. Grampaw drove like that. Beautiful 4 wheel brake drifts & all in a 1953 Ford Victoria on his Watkin's rout. I still have the tool tray like thing he carried his products in with the Watkin's logo.

When they assume homebrew is inferior to commercial beers before they try it and ask you if your beer tastes like B,M or C

FWIW, I'm also "no TV" (as if any of you heathens care) but eat meat just like the unwashed masses.

Same here, I own a tv but hve no cable...I refuse to pay comcast for anything other than basic internet. I'm happy with netflix and redbox, and I try to force myself into using my time on more productive things.

Meat...I'm almost a carnivore.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Same here, I own a tv but hve no cable...I refuse to pay comcast for anything other than basic internet. I'm happy with netflix and redbox, and I try to force myself into using my time on more productive things.

Meat...I'm almost a carnivore.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been using nothing but netflix for 5 years

Not really annoying, but funny. I was talking to a colleague at work about home brewing (and he is interested in starting the hobby). I told him I am building a keggle, and he immediately busted out laughing. He referred me to this.

I had to assure him that what I was doing is keggle with two G's. :smack:

I now refer to my project as a "keg kettle."

Not really annoying, but funny. I was talking to a colleague at work about home brewing (and he is interested in starting the hobby). I told him I am building a keggle, and he immediately busted out laughing. He referred me to this.

I had to assure him that what I was doing is keggle with two G's. :smack:

I now refer to my project as a "keg kettle."

No, that would qualify as annoying as well as funny.

...so you can make bud light cheaper than I can buy it.

The proper response to this is, "No, I can't. I make beer." Then time them to see how long it takes them to figure it out.

Alternately, you can tell them, "Drink some of my beer and then a couple of hours later you can step into the rest room and make your own bud light." Again, time them to see how long it takes them to figure it out.

<snark mode OFF>

You ought to teach your colleague to pay attention to pronunciation.

pronunciation & punctuation can save lives and embarrassment.

True dat.

PS_1080_EAT_GRANDMA.jpg

Last Sat while out with some friends for my wife's birthday; I was talking to one friend who is an 'inactive' home brewer but has access to a plasma cutter and is a bit of an engineer about my plans for an eHERMS set up & brewing in general. Another friend, who's a really good guy but clearly uninformed jumps in with, "You know that's illegal right!"

...No, [name removed to protect the ignorant] it's not illegal to brew. It would be illegal to sell it without the proper licensing, etc. but brewing is perfectly legal...

I catch a bunch of crap at work for home brewing. Being Coast Guard they frown upon heavy drinking. Funny thing is now that I have been home brewing for over a year. I find that a drink a whole lot less than I used to. Funny though they don't seem to mind asking for some when they are over to the house.

They give you crap about drinking,but let those ski-doo bumbs race all around inside the swimming area? Buzzin up & down close to the pears where we're all fishing? I think they need to get their priorities straight. Those fools with the ski-doo's are getting to be like sea-going biker gangs!...

They give you crap about drinking,but let those ski-doo bumbs race all around inside the swimming area? Buzzin up & down close to the pears where we're all fishing? I think they need to get their priorities straight. Those fools with the ski-doo's are getting to be like sea-going biker gangs!...

Just call your local CG Station if its on Erie or the local marine patrol. That is actually up to a 10k fine.

Maybe not the "Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?", but I think I earned "Most annoying homebrewer" when something stupid popped out of my mouth before I could even censor it: I was at a dinner party, where two of us are homebrewers, and we were first sampling some plum wine, and then cracked open my Rye IPA. I rinsed out my wine glass to drink from, as there were no beer glasses present, and the shape of the wine glass is great for the aromas of the Rye. The hostess, seeing me starting to pour, said "No, wait, we've got beer mugs in the freezer, let me get you one", and before I could even stop myself, I replied "Oh, no, I'd never serve a good beer that cold". The look of shock on her face was as bad as if I hit her.

Crap. I was that a$$hole. I still wouldn't drink it that cold, but I think I could find my way to being more tactful...

Back