Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"is it cheaper than buying it?"...this always comes from a BMC drinker. They spend a few bucks for a 12 pack of fizzy yellow stuff and they ask if is cheaper? :mad:

"why?" :confused:

NOW FOR THE GOOD RESPONSES...

"oh yeah? So do I..." :tank:
"can I buy some off of ya?...:tank:
[tries your beer]..."whoa this is good..." :tank:

I don't know if I could drink more than one in a sitting

Really? You could only drink one bourbon, oak aged imperial stout? You don't say

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Recently I have been getting a lot of "Really? I have been interested in trying that out myself" And the obligatory, "you know Herbie-Joe homebrews too."

I have had several homebrewing assistants as of late. Can't say I have any arguments with it at all, except for the ones that just want an excuse to day drink to excess.

"is it cheaper than buying it?"...this always comes from a BMC drinker. They spend a few bucks for a 12 pack of fizzy yellow stuff and they ask if is cheaper? :mad:

"why?" :confused:

NOW FOR THE GOOD RESPONSES...

"oh yeah? So do I..." :tank:
"can I buy some off of ya?...:tank:
[tries your beer]..."whoa this is good..." :tank:

Ingredients to purchase yes, until you count in your time

as opposed to not being paid doing nothing else? is your time spent brewing off work really costing you money?

What, you can't work 168 hr/week? :D I really don't understand the arguments on the cost of brewing that factor in your time as a cost. My boss wouldn't pay me to walk around a golf coarse on Sundays so why would he pay me to brew myself some beer :tank:

Honestly I account money not spent as gold, so time I don't take into account. Ingredient wise I'm spending less to make it then buy it

i usually take the offhanded "this tastes like something you could buy in a store!" comment as a compliment. my goal is to make beer that could be mistaken for commercial quality, though.

i usually take the offhanded "this tastes like something you could buy in a store!" comment as a compliment. my goal is to make beer that could be mistaken for commercial quality, though.

My dad had a comment similar to this and I know he meant it as a compliment.

I gave a bomber of my sweet stout to my boss, and to a fellow supervisor who's a good friend of mine a few days ago.

My boss said he shared it with his sons and they all loved it. They asked him where they could buy it. Made my day :D

Then my friend said he liked it but he "doesn't drink too much milk." So he didn't finish it :what:

I had a guy tell me " oh yea I like those dark lagers, like those heinekins and Sam Adams"...d'oh :confused:

Whenever I talk about my homebrewing with one of my friends, or send him pictures of wort boiling or my beautiful krausen, he just says "drink it down" or "put likker in it" and it is super annoying. I guess if you're not into homebrewing then hearing/seeing about it isn't all that interesting...:rolleyes:

if you tell people without being asked you are worse than people who dont own a tv or are vegetarian

Did somebody tell you this or this is how you feel?

I see where you're going with this, similar to the guy being called a hipster for being a homebrewer, but I disagree, this is a hobby. People ask me what's up and I usually discuss recent interesting brews because its what's up with me.

I smoke cigars also and on occasion have taken a travel humidor with some decent cigars to social gatherings. As some of us would sit around sharing cigars with each other, inevitably some other guy or girl always comes up (also usually drunk) and swears they love cigars and can they have one? That encounter would most often wind up with a barely smoked but slobbered on $8 cigar which goes to waste (and one less I can share with a true cigar smoker). So, I learned through the years to ask a quick screening question: What cigars have you smoked before? What's your favorite kind of wrapper? What ring gauge do you usually smoke? Their answer tells me whether I offer them a choice A or choice B cigar... sorry can't afford to throw away good cigars.

I'm wondering if I should do the same with my precious homebrew. Scrape the labels off of some bottles of BMC and offer one of those ... like that? Yeah I have more if you want them. Hate that? Hold on let me open the real cooler.

I get what Terrance is saying. A lot of folks like that, but not all, tend to be holier than thou. I have occasionally been guilty of excess pride when the opportunity arises for me to mention homebrewing but I think I probably come across more like an excited kid than a snob.

FWIW, I'm also "no TV" (as if any of you heathens care) but eat meat just like the unwashed masses.

FWIW, I'm also "no TV" (as if any of you heathens care) but eat meat just like the unwashed masses.

I haven't had TV for years! I get what I need from the net. Netflix, and such do it for me. Plus most of the regular programming can be found online too.

And it's alot cheaper, which equals more $$$ for beer stuff!:ban::ban::ban:

pb :mug:

And I'm a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals, that is.:D

I believe the initial comment was about people who don't own a tv, period. Not people who don't have cable. I cut the cord 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. With roku and HD antennas in my house, I can watch pretty much everything I use to watch and have access to a lot more. Our comcast bill went from $185/month to $80 for their fastest internet connection speed. There was a learning curve the first few weeks but my wife and I couldn't be happier. I also like having an extra $100+ a month available.

Now, people who don't own a tv at all!? That's weird, IMHO.

Everyone should own a TV. It should only be turned on once a month. Otherwise you rot your brain.

We have a TV and cable, but I'm finding lately I seem to have less and less time to watch it. I have several hours of TV shows piled up in the PVR that I haven't had time to watch. It seems there's always something to be done in the brewery that takes priority. I'd love to sit down and invest 3 hours of my evening catching up on The Blacklist, The Following, or Grimm, but I've got those 3 kegs that blew last weekend that need to be cleaned, rinsed, and sanitized, plus I need to rack that batch of double-IPA and dry hop it, and that pile of bottles waiting to be cleaned keeps getting bigger, but there's no room on the bottling tree so those bottles need to be boxed up and added to storage... and so on and so on.

i believe the point of the original post is that vegetarians and non-tv owners are likely to offer that information unsolicited because they want everyone to know it, like that guy who rattles on about their most recent brew to people who don't care about a hobby that is largely comprised of cooking and cleaning.

i believe the point of the original post is that vegetarians and non-tv owners are likely to offer that information unsolicited because they want everyone to know it, like that guy who rattles on about their most recent brew to people who don't care about a hobby that is largely comprised of cooking and cleaning.

I can confirm that that is indeed the point of the original post

I can confirm that that is indeed the point of the original post

great way to start lumping. all vegetarians feel the need to tell everyone they meet? all people that don't own a TV will announce it to the passer-by?

if I'm telling someone about a beer I just brewed, it's followed with "...so you can try some when it's ready if you like." y'all make it sound like we all just wander the landscape babbling to anyone and/or anything we pass.

Did somebody tell you this or this is how you feel?

I see where you're going with this, similar to the guy being called a hipster for being a homebrewer, but I disagree, this is a hobby. People ask me what's up and I usually discuss recent interesting brews because its what's up with me.

I agree And add that I would venture a guess that more meat eaters bash vegetarians than the other way around and probably the same for hipsters. Don't be hatin' :mug:

I believe the initial comment was about people who don't own a tv, period. Not people who don't have cable. I cut the cord 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. With roku and HD antennas in my house, I can watch pretty much everything I use to watch and have access to a lot more. Our comcast bill went from $185/month to $80 for their fastest internet connection speed. There was a learning curve the first few weeks but my wife and I couldn't be happier. I also like having an extra $100+ a month available.

Now, people who don't own a tv at all!? That's weird, IMHO.

Exact same thing here, busted cable to basic with fastest internet and use Apple TV in one room, roku 3 in the other. Brilliant love it and save loads. I don't have data on my phone either, traded my big phone bill for $30 monthly refillable tmobile. I travel all the time and find bills hard to keep up with, not for lack of money, just for hectic schedule. Now I don't get late fees. More money for beer.:ban:

omg i get asked about moonshiners 95% of the time and i've never even seen the show. apparently there are like 2 brewing tv shows out there that i get asked about, neither of which i have seen.

i don't own a TV

I live in Austin, so its not uncommon to run into a fellow Home Brewer..

However, I still get the occasional:

"Is that even legal!?"

"That seems like too much work."

or my favorite.. "Does it taste better than BL?"

I get lots, but the I just can't stand (everyone has herd it I think)

"Ow, I don't like dark beer" as I shake my head looking threw a IPA

I quit trying to explain to people

I get lots, but the I just can't stand (everyone has herd it I think)

"Ow, I don't like dark beer"

That always bugs me, too. It's almost driven me to a special project: create the lightest, most sessionable beer (that I'd still want to drink) that's jet black, and the heaviest, most intense and lightest colored beer possible. Think, dark mild and super light colored barley wine, but pushed as far as they can go. Then I'll invite these people to sample both and make their heads explode.

That always bugs me, too. It's almost driven me to a special project: create the lightest, most sessionable beer (that I'd still want to drink) that's jet black, and the heaviest, most intense and lightest colored beer possible. Think, dark mild and super light colored barley wine, but pushed as far as they can go. Then I'll invite these people to sample both and make their heads explode.

If I didn't have my next 5 or so batches already planned and shopped for I'd be doing that. Keep us posted.

I like to make a Black and Tan right in front of them and let them try to explain how a Heavy beer can float on top of a light one. There is always a couple who think that it's all in the pour and will try it it in reverse always makes me laugh:D

I'm sure its been mentioned more than once in the last 70 pages but I hate the response of so you can make bud light cheaper than I can buy it.

Or I love so and so brand could you make that for me?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back