Monster Mill popping loose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleGroveAleworks

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a Monster Mill 2.0 2 roller mill I've had for about 3 years.

Every now and then the set screws (the ones you hand tighten) will pop loose while milling, the rollers lose their gap, and I'll have to dump all the grain out - reset the mill gaps and start over.

My method is to mist my grain with a little bit of water from a spray bottle and mix it up thoroughly, then mill at about .30 to 34 or so. Nothing too crazy. I use a Makita corded 1/2" drill to mill - very strong drill.

I've never oiled it or anything - no idea how. Any ideas why it keeps popping loose?

Thanks

When you adjust the gap make sure the roller moves toward the gap, approaching it from underneath. IOW, the adjustable roller should not move away from the gap. It should be done that way on both sides. Then locking them should keep the gap put.

I do use 1/2" "utility" pliers to slightly more than hand-tighten the winged set bolts.

I did put some grease on the threads of the set bolts, to prevent wearing the aluminum threads out prematurely. Main reason is, I always mill smaller kernels (wheat, rye) and all flaked goods on a narrower gap than barley, so I adjust my mill at least once per milling/brewing session.

Back