MO/Amarillo SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I am contemplating doing an MO/Amarillo smash. I have all the ingredients, haven't yet settled on the hop schedule yet, but would steer more towards a medium IPA

I am a bit hesitant though.... First off, its my first SMASH. Secondly, I am only set up for 12 gallon AG brews. I am a bit worried the beer may be a bit bland for me? I am used to more aggressive IPA styles. Having 10 gallons of something that may be not to my liking would be a drag..

I guess what I am asking, is an MO/Amarillo a bit bland to have more then 5 gallons of? Or, can I tweak the hops a bit to gear it up for more of an IPA suited to my tastes?

Not an easy question to answer since its my tastes on the line, but thought I would bounce this off you guys/gals

Oh, and I read in the HOPS book that too much of amarillo can lead to a metallic taste... Wondering what too much is in terms of OZ in a 12 gallon batch?

If you want a hop forward smash put together a high IBU hop schedule and brew a 1 or 2 gallon batch and see how you like it. I'd personally go in the mid 30s for IBUs and let some of that tasty MO shine through.

I'm with Croyzen. Do a modest test batch. You might even do two, with different hopping schedules. I've done two MO SMaSHes, one with Cascade, one with Columbus. Both were Pale Ales, I didn't record the IBUs, but I liked them both. Let us know what you decide.

My first Smash was a MO/Amarillo. I did 10 gallons. It was great. One of the best beers I've brewed to date. While I'm with the OP, I like a ton of hops in my brews too.

This beer had only 3oz of hops in it. I was shocked on how the flavor/ aroma came out. I did 1oz FWH, .25oz @ 20min, .25oz@10min, .25oz @ 5min and then .25oz @FO. Last 1oz @ whirlpool for 10mins holding temp at 170*F.

I'm actually still surprised on how much flavor I got. It was full tangerine and crisp. Very nice beer to drink in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just did 1g of this with 50 something ibus and additions at 60, 10, 5, 1, 0, and dry hopped. Turned out delicious and I wish I had more. I wouldn't try to make this an ipa.. Just a nice drinking pale ale or session beer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh and any beer this drinkable will go fast so 5 gal is probably not too much. I actually did a 5g mash and spit it into 4 smash batches on the stove top with extra hops I had on hand. Amarillo, citra, El dorado, and wakatu. Amarillo turned out the best and this was a fun project to do indoors when -30 outside!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I've been doing quite a few SMaSH's and single hop beers recently. After 3+ years of brewing and close to 100 batches, I finally decided to get to know specific grains and hops better.

I'm currently drinking an Amarillo pale ale with mostly Maris Otter. Here's the recipe if you're interested.

Efficiency: 78.0% Batch size: 5.25 gal
OG: 1.062 - FG: 1.011 - ABV: 6.7% - IBU:43 - SRM: 6

Maris Otter Pale (UK) 8.5 lb
Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (US) 1.0 lb
Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) 1.0 lb
Cane Sugar 0.5 lb

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Galena (US) 0.75 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
Amarillo (US) 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 8.7%
Amarillo (US) 0.5 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 8.7%
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 8.7%
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 8.7%