Mixing Nottingham and US-05 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of yeast mixing threads, but none really look at it for my question. I have a half pack of US-05, and my recipe calls for 1.5 packs of it. However, I was only able to get some extra packs of Nottingham and S-04. So, I plan to pitch the 1/2 pack of US-05 with a full pack of Nottingham. Since they are somewhat close, I figured there would be minimal difference in the final product (imperial stout).

BTW, my main concern is not for flavor, but for ensuring that I get enough conversion. Does anyone agree that this makes sense.

I would just pitch to packs of Notty and be done with it, but I can't see why you wouldn't get enough attenuation from the yeast by mixing them.

Yeah, I think I'm going to save the 05 for when I have another full pack and pitch the 1.5. It's in the fridge, so it ain't going anywhere. I really don't have a good benchmark for flavor, but I can't imagine a huge difference in taste between the two.

I am targeting most batches with an OG between 1.085 and 1.100, so I'm guessing I should be 1.5 to 2 packs of dry yeast anyway.

Latest posts

Back