Miley Citrus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait......there are pickles and PICKLES.

I HATE sweet pickles.....love garlicy savory pickles......strangely....there are some sweet spicy ones that I actually love.

*I wish that goddam splashing and screaming would stop :(*

Cucumbers in general. Hate them. I'm a total cucumbist, a cucumphobe.

Can't stand them in salad. Can't stand tzatziki sauce.

My neighbor keeps giving me two foot long ones. I look at my wife and ask WTF?

Melons too. Never had a melon that I liked. Evil, disgusting.

Cucumbers in general. Hate them. I'm a total cucumbist, a cucumphobe.

Can't stand them in salad. Can't stand tzatziki sauce.

My neighbor keeps giving me two foot long ones. I look at my wife and ask WTF?

Melons too. Never had a melon that I liked. Evil, disgusting.

She knows......

OK, so what about pickled okra with smoked paprika? Manna of the gods, I'm telling you, and no cukes to fear.

smokra_2011_large-8bbce55b1e0939b2d53fd6dfba80f2df.jpg

Love the Herbie Hancock, by the way. Thank you.

Utah & Colorado aren't great okra eating places. I'm sure I've had it in curry. Love curry.

To round out my top four food phobias: shellfish and dairy.

I've had some shellfish I liked, some I've hated, and some that involved possible allergic reactions. Probably better all around to avoid.

I love dairy. It's dairy that hates me.

Beyond those, it may not be my favorite thing but I'll at least try it.

Doesn't like melons, cucumbers, shellfish, pickles...

Is this some sort of "asexual" "coming out of the closet" episode?

I would forego sex if not doing so meant that I could have no more of those things to eat........wait.....WHAT?

Please stop wasting good prosciutto like this. Beernik is 100% correct about melon.

You can miss out on the awesomeness that is melons (and I'm sure lots of other foods too as anybody who is bizarre enough not to like melon is undoubtedly a stupidly picky eater), but please refrain from insisting that others do so too.

You can miss out on the awesomeness that is melons (and I'm sure lots of other foods too as anybody who is bizarre enough not to like melon is undoubtedly a stupidly picky eater), but please refrain from insisting that others do so too.

Not picky. I'd just rather eat a four course meal of chitlins, haggis, lutefisk, and eisbein than taste a honeydew or cantaloupe.

Back to subject,
VIETNAMESE CHICKEN SANDWICH
BANH MI
SERVES4
ACTIVE TIME:30 MIN START TO FINISH:30 MIN
FEBRUARY 2008
Despite the exotic name of this sandwich, you can get all the ingredients right at the supermarket. Liverwurst stands in for the traditional pork-pâté filling—the meatiness works beautifully with the sharp-flavored vegetables and fresh cilantro. Learn the story behind this dish in our series The Recipe.
1/2 lb daikon, peeled
1 carrot, peeled
1/2 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 (24-inch) soft baguette
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 lb liverwurst
2 fresh jalapeños, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch rings
3/4 cup packed cilantro sprigs
2 cooked chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken, thinly sliced
Lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Shred daikon and carrot in a food processor fitted with medium shredding disk. Stir together vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss with shredded vegetables. Let slaw stand, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat baguette on rack in oven until crusty, about 5 minutes. Cut off and discard round ends, then split baguette.
Mix together oil, fish sauce, and soy sauce and brush on cut sides of bread. Spread liverwurst on bottom layer of bread and top with chiles, onion, and cilantro.
Drain slaw in a colander.
Arrange chicken, slaw, and lettuce on cilantro. Spread top layer of bread with mayonnaise and cut sandwich crosswise into fourths.

Sloppy Bombay Joes

Recipe courtesy Aarti Sequeira

4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 serrano chile, seeded and finely minced (save the other half for the turkey)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
Turkey:
3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Small handful shelled pistachios, about 1/4 cup
Small handful raisins, about 1/4 cup
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 large white onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, finely diced
1/2 serrano chile, seeds intact (don't chop it up unless you like things spicy!)
Kosher salt
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup half-and-half
Small handful chopped fresh cilantro (soft stems included)
4 to 6 hamburger buns
Directions
Begin by making the sauce: Warm the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until it shimmers. Add the ginger, garlic and serrano pepper. Saute until the ginger and garlic brown a little. Add the garam masala and paprika and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile for the turkey, in large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons of oil. When shimmering, add the pistachios and raisins. Cook until the raisins swell up and the pistachios toast slightly. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Return the pan to medium heat, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of oil, and warm until shimmering. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for about 10 seconds, or until some of the sizzling subsides. Stir in the onions and bell pepper; saute until softened and starting to brown. Add the serrano pepper. Saute for another couple of minutes, seasoning with a little salt. Stir in the turkey, breaking up the big lumps. Cook until opaque, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, your sauce should be ready. Pour the sauce into the skillet with the turkey. Stir and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.

Once the turkey is cooked and the sauce has thickened a little, remove the serrano pepper (unless you want to eat it whole, like my Dad does!). Add the honey, half-and-half, pistachios and raisins. Stir through and taste for seasoning. Before serving, garnish with fresh cilantro.

Toast the buns, fill with the turkey mixture and serve. Eat (with your hands!) and enjoy!

Miracle whip is gross. Eat some real freaking mayonnaise if you want something like that on your sandwich...

it wasn't a question or multiple choice, the whole post was my statement of the type of sammich (in the book!) that I eat almost every day for lunch and a snark at those who go to all that trouble for a sandwich or won't perform a simple courtesy and clean up sloppy copy-n-paste

so, my simple, unpretentious sandwich: couple slices of ham, whatever cheese we have out of a choice of swiss, cheddar or provolone, and spread with whatever catches my eye first, the mayo, MW or the mustard.

I prefer the MW, but will go with mayo. mayo is the choice for egg/chicken/tuna sandwiches, would never use mw in them

Hands OFF of Grognerd!!!

There is a 93% chance that he is cooler than you!!!!!!!!(he plays Jake in Adventure time;))

You can NOT knock ANYTHING in a sammich until you have tried it.

The ONLY ingredient that is ok to criticize, sight unseen, is UNI.......(raw sea urchin)....and watch creamy correct me on even that!

:mug:

If there is no mayo available, MW is BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Hands OFF of Grognerd!!!

There is a 93% chance that he is cooler than you!!!!!!!!(he plays Jake in Adventure time;))

You can NOT knock ANYTHING in a sammich until you have tried it.

The ONLY ingredient that is ok to criticize, sight unseen, is UNI.......(raw sea urchin)....and watch creamy correct me on even that!

:mug:

If there is no mayo available, MW is BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Have tried MW. And I must agree with your avatar that I do not like it. It appears to be a rather polarizing subastance. In the absence of real mayo, I will go with Sour Cream, mustard, or even pesto depending on the sammich. The 'tangy zip' that MW advertises, in my opinion, is the offputting offensive bit.

I'd give sea urchin a try but probably not on a sandwitch.
Where MW would not be my first choice, MW or a dry sandwitch I'd
Go with a bit of MW.

The funny thing is, it's so much easier to criticize uni after seeing it...it just looks so creepy. A good sample, fresh, actually has great flavor, but I struggle with the bizarre texture.

To me, it smelled and tasted (though I have never tasted this either ;)) like SPERM.........BLECH!!!!!!!!

puke puke pukity puke.

puke-puke here
puke-puke there

hera puke, there a puke, every where a puke puke puke puke

The creepiest thing about uni is how it reacts to being poked and prodded, and how it can melt over the course of a meal if untouched.

It's basically a radioactive, creepy yellow tongue. First time I ordered it, it wasn't all that great, so the second piece sat around uneaten. No one else at the table wanted it, but one did poke it some with a chopstick. It just squished in a bit, and then rebounded back into place, almost like it was still alive, not like jell-o does, or anything like that. Weird. It started melting and turning liquid as it warmed, as well, and weeped over the side of the nori wrap. Yuk.

Just in case some of you haven't had the displeasure of seeing uni yet...

tumblr_lhka46TASz1qb0llho1_500.jpg

2307.jpg

Creepy radioactive yellow tongue. QED.

Back