Microbrewery ideas. Need help Good brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erenus

Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a microbrewery. Got some questions for you if you are kind enough to answer.
1-https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/200-litre-braumeister (i dont know if its ok to link) i want to buy this as a starter . Checked some companies but this looks the best as far as i see.(price/performance) Please let me know if there is any better .
2-Is it possibe to combine 5 batches in to 1000 lt Chrome fermantation tank or is it best to go for 200 lt fermantation tanks ?
Let me know if you have any more advices. I'm really New to this just trying to calculate profitability and other expenses before really going into this.
Thank you waiting for your replies.
Erenus

Do you have a license? You might look into that at the same time you evaluate equipment.

BTW: A more descriptive subject line might get you some more targted replies. Edit that post, go into "Advanced" or "More options" and see if you can edit the subject line.

Do you have a license? You might look into that at the same time you evaluate equipment.

BTW: A more descriptive subject line might get you some more targted replies. Edit that post, go into "Advanced" or "More options" and see if you can edit the subject line.
It's not illegal to produce beer up to 300 lt per mouth but i will get the licence before starting. I want to make a small commercial brand. I got beer technician friend and other people know how to make to help me. All the proces will be licenced and legal. Just trying to figure out what will be the expenses profitability etc.

It's not illegal to produce beer up to 300 lt per mouth but i will get the licence before starting. I want to make a small commercial brand. I got beer technician friend and other people know how to make to help me. All the proces will be licenced and legal. Just trying to figure out what will be the expenses profitability etc.

I'm guessing you're not in the United States, so the rules may be different where you live. Remember, though, that the limits for producing beer may not be related to the license to sell it.

Here in the US I can produce 750+ liters of beer per year, but I can't sell a drop of it unless I have a license.

How do you plan to make money from your beer? Will you have a tap room or brewpub? Sell kegs to local bars and restaurants? Can or bottle for retail sales?

I'm guessing you're not in the United States, so the rules may be different where you live. Remember, though, that the limits for producing beer may not be related to the license to sell it.

Here in the US I can produce 750+ liters of beer per year, but I can't sell a drop of it unless I have a license.
Hello thanks for reply. Getting license is not a big deal. İ just want to know howmuch i can produce with this 200lt setup with necessary fermantation tanks to maximize profit. What kind of setup do you ise ?

Hello thanks for reply. Getting license is not a big deal. İ just want to know howmuch i can produce with this 200lt setup with necessary fermantation tanks to maximize profit. What kind of setup do you ise ?

Mine is a bit smaller. :) I can do either 19- or 38-liter batches. I use a RIMS system to recirculate during mashing.

How do you plan to make money from your beer? Will you have a tap room or brewpub? Sell kegs to local bars and restaurants? Can or bottle for retail sales?
I own a coctail bar already(passed 10years of experiance this year) and im selling diffrent kinds of beers there.It will be so good to add my beer to my bar and local drink shops. I only want to stay local so i dont want to buy brewers bigger than 200 litres per batch if it will be enough i dont know. Maybe 50 liters per batch could do the work if its possibe to combine batches inside 1000 lt or 500lt fermantation tank.(this was the one thing i want to know) i sell 120 to 350 bottles per day already. there is no brewery near my town and so less in country.

Mine is a bit smaller. :) I can do either 19- or 38-liter batches. I use a RIMS system to recirculate during mashing.
Do you know if its possible to combine batches without adding the yeast? Like 5 times 200 liter batch for 1000 lt fermantation tank ? Does time effect the unyeasted beer while waiting for other batches to cook ?

You won't find many people on here who are brewing and fermenting 1000 litre batches. If you don't know the answer to these questions I humbly suggest you may not be ready to run a micro brewery. There is plenty of terrible micro-brewery beer out there done by home-brewers.

Do you know if its possible to combine batches without adding the yeast? Like 5 times 200 liter batch for 1000 lt fermantation tank ? Does time effect the unyeasted beer while waiting for other batches to cook ?

Yes, though I've only heard of doing a double-batch. I know of a brewery here that has a 30-barrel fermenter but they can only do 15-barrel brews. They brew 15 barrels, pump into the fermenter, add the yeast, then brew the second batch and then add that. It gets the yeast going, no reason to wait.

I'm sure you could do the same for 5 batches....though that's a lot of batches for one fermenter. And for what it's worth, given the size of the market you're serving, that's a lot of liters in one batch. I would tend to have fewer fermenters so I could have multiple batches going at once, different styles.

I own a coctail bar already(passed 10years of experiance this year) and im selling diffrent kinds of beers there.It will be so good to add my beer to my bar and local drink shops. I only want to stay local so i dont want to buy brewers bigger than 200 litres per batch if it will be enough i dont know. Maybe 50 liters per batch could do the work if its possibe to combine batches inside 1000 lt or 500lt fermantation tank.(this was the one thing i want to know) i sell 120 to 350 bottles per day already. there is no brewery near my town and so less in country.

First off, I agree with the previous poster who suggested asking your questions on the probrewer.com forum. It is unlikely that many if any homebrewers have done what you are considering doing (combine the output of up to 5 brew sessions into one fermenter). I have brewed for almost 30 years and I've never once combined even two sessions into one fermenter.

Second, I agree with mongoose about considering buying multiple fermenters. You don't have to use stainless. Speidel makes some large fermenters such as this 600L (they also make a similar 250L one) which are a lot cheaper than stainless conicals.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-fermenter-fermentegg-600.html

You could probably buy five or more of those 250L Speidels for the cost of one 5BBL (just under 600L) stainless conical fermenter. I own one of the smaller 60L Speidel fermenters and it is very easy to clean and use but I've never used one of the larger ones.

Besides fermenters you might consider buying a bright tank so you could condition and serve your beer directly from it rather than having to keg it first. Lots of tap rooms do this plus it frees up a fermenter. Many brewers will make multiple batches of the same beer and combine them in one large bright tank.

Again, you are mostly going to read speculation here on HBT while at probrewers you are reading the voices of experience, imo.

Good luck! I think it is going to be a fun experience.

Last edited:

That is not a good idea. The wort is subject to spoilage if just sitting around at room temperature waiting for additional wort to be added. If you want to multi-batch, it is best to add yeast to the first batch and then add additional wort to that. The amount of time it takes to add additional wort does matter. If you can brew multiple times a day, that would be best. I would not let it go over 24 hours before adding the next batch. In that case you would be limited to double sized fermenters.

There are systems can can brew up to 12 times in 24 hours but they do cost quite a lot more than that simple Speidel. Take a look at the HEBS systems from IDD. They range from 5HL to 40 HL brewlength https://www.iddeas.com/hebs

Latest posts

Back