Maple porter with carawheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cposten

Reaction score
Am planning a maple porter. Have read that the maple tends to ferment out and leaves little if any flavor. With this in mind i started thinking that if i used wheat crystal malts it might help the maple shine through a bit better. Am i completely wrong? Only time i ever used caramel wheat was in a dunkel so im still green when it comes to these bad boys. Im going to use syrup that ive evaporated from sugar maples on my property so itll be scarce. Wanna get this right the first time because theres no promise that ill have a shot at a 2nd batch. Thanks in advance and ANY input is GREATLY appriciated.

I can't say i've used any wheat malts in porters.
However i did do a honey/maple-porter before.
The taste was fine but the honey/maple did lessen the mouthfeel ALOT.
This might be an odd suggestion but perhaps ferment them seperately and blend them to taste just prior to bottling.

So a decent helping of carapils then? Was actually thinkin making a small batch of acerglyn and blending it too.

When did you add the syrup? Have read that adding it in secondary helps. Not sure if i should do that or at boil.

Am planning on priming with it too, any pointers on how much?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Home Brew mobile app

If i remember right both the honey and maple went in at flame out.
Used a whole 16 oz bottle of honey and i think the maple bottle was the same size. (5 gallon batch) The base porter recipe i used is in my drop down. I made that and added the honey-maple.

I did a maple porter a while ago. If you want the maple to come through use grade B at FO and bottle condition with grade B as well. Grade be is less fermentable which leaves more flavor and aroma.

The wheat might be a good way to accentuate it too.

Hope this helps.

I will look at my recipe and see how much I used. The maple ended up coming through nicely.

Awesome. Thanks for all the input. Lookin forward to this. Now i just need the warmth to stay around to get this sap flowing more.

Hey sorry to bring this back up but when you guys said 16oz are you talking fluidmoz or weight?

Latest posts

Back