Help flavoring Smokey Maple Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi all - I am getting ready to run my first porter using maple. My nephew started making Maple syrup this year and has done a simply amazing job if it. After tweaking grain bills on porters to get something that I think will do the trick, I am ready to go. The missing bit of information or guidance for me is how exactly to proceed.

Will be a 5 gallon batch of robust porter.
Key notes:
- Thames Valley Ale Yeast
- Bramling Cross hops (targeting 30 IBU)
- 32 oz Smoked Maple syrup (will be supplemented with natural maple flavor)
- 5% smoked cherry malt

My thoughts are to hold out the syrup and the flavoring until secondary. Let the yeast work on the maltose first. I am thinking the 32 oz of syrup and 2 oz maple flavoring from brew shop should hit close to the mark for maple flavor.

Are there any other considerations? Is there another complimentary flavor that does maple well? Like vanilla bean or other?

Suggestions and commentary are greatly appreciated.

I would not include vanilla, I think it would mask the complex flavors of the maple and Bramling Cross hops. You don't see Bramling Cross hops every day.

Im interested in this because I wonder how the maple will come through, the yeast are going to go bonkers for the sugars in the syrup and that might dry the final result. I don't know when you should add the syrup, probably going to have to brew this up a few times and change the addition schedule. Maybe split the batch in to 2.5gals and

Beer 1: Add maple at flameout

Beer 2: Add maple at secondary - though IIRC, some say add maple syrup just as primary fermentation is ending:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13457.0

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20453.msg259833#msg259833

I would not include vanilla, I think it would mask the complex flavors of the maple and Bramling Cross hops. You don't see Bramling Cross hops every day.
[/url]

I have found that a clean yeast without a lot of esters or flavors do well with Bramling. The two together adds an undefined fruity flavor that is very nice and unimposing -but it is necessary to let it mature for about two months before you get there. Immediately after packaging (bottle, keg, whatever) a strong currant flavor comes to the fore, but as the brew ages, it mellows.

I have added maple to this hop/yeast combination in a porter (like a drop or two) and they played very well together. So far it seems the flavors will work well together if the correct balance can be achieved. The maple needs to be the prominent roll. I do realize now that another adjunct will probably muddle the flavor and get in the way of the combo of hop/adjunct that is already there - so no additional flavors for sure

After reading a bit more on the links provided, I will add some Maltodextrine. probably 1/2 lb to boost the FG and help with potentially drying out the beer. Also, a 156°F mash with mash out seems appropriate.

Back