Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea the bottles did have a extra lip...that is why I assumed they were champagne bottles...but the lip looked too big for a cap. I guess I will look more closely this afternoon. If is will accept a cap, I don't see any reason I couldn't just cap over the cork.

...otherwise, I will make a "cage" out of ducttape. :)

Use #4258 for duct-tape
2013-06-07164811_zpscff02a04.jpg

I've just tasted a batch I made with brown sugar and it is amazing I would recommend it to anyone to try out.

So at bottling time, is it simply a matter of making sure it's degassed and then bottling it if you want it still or must you add a bunch of other chemicals and crap that my lhbs tried to sell me that are commonly used with wine kits?

So at bottling time, is it simply a matter of making sure it's degassed and then bottling it if you want it still or must you add a bunch of other chemicals and crap that my lhbs tried to sell me that are commonly used with wine kits?
If it's fermented all the sugar out, then you can bottle still without any chemicals. I do that a lot. If you want to bottle sweet, then it's a good idea to pasteurize the bottles. When I bottle still, I don't even degass.

There is an off chance that you will end up with some apple cider vinegar, that's pretty unlikely if your sanitation was decent though. Pasteurization will make that impossible.

I bottled my first batch of apfelwein this weekend, made to EdWort's original recipe and aged in primary for almost 4 months. It's fantastic! I know I know it's supposed to sit even longer but listen, it already tastes good. Like a dry white wine, nicely chilled and it's perfect for summer nights. I wanted to wait and try it before I made another batch, and so I'm definitely going to now.

My dad has been fiddling with grape wine recipes for years and none of them taste this good or are as easy to make!

Enoch52, there are no ill effects from letting it sit on the yeast for so long. I left mine for 4 months and it tastes great, others have reported leaving for 6 months. I don't know why, just know it's so.

My bourbon soaked oak chip aged version of this cider is ready to bottle... Now to find the time.

Meanwhile, my previous batch of this cider keeps getting better the longer it is in the bottle.

Fair enough--I won't panic then (I've got one approaching a month). Does it impact the flavor if the aging is done in bottles, or does it really need to stay in the fermenter the whole time?

If you're planning to bottle-carb it (the best for this recipe imo), I recommend bottling it after it is done (0.999 or lower, could be at around 4-5 weeks) and aging it in the bottle. This has the 2-fold benefit of giving it a long time to carb up (another month+) and age at the same time. Works for me.

Fair enough--I won't panic then (I've got one approaching a month). Does it impact the flavor if the aging is done in bottles, or does it really need to stay in the fermenter the whole time?

In most cases, people say its better to bulk age, ie in the Carboy. I have 2 batches, they date from December, still sitting in the Carboy, aging.

I bottled mine still last weekend and a friend of mine who is a bit of a wine enthusiast sat down to give my apfelwen a try. He said he notes distinct yeasty flavor in it. I cannot taste it, but I do not doubt him. How can I avoid this in the future? I followed Edwort's recipe exactly and bulk aged 6 months in primary. Thanks for any input.

Your friend is likely experiencing a placebo effect. He knows your apfelwein is home brewed and is bringing some preconceptions to the table.

The other possibility is you stirred up the lees before you bottled. If this is the case you can rack it per Yooper's recommendation of every 60 days or until it's sitting on 1/4" of lees, whichever comes first, and be careful when you bottle.

Yeah, rack off the lees once you've hit FG. Multiple racking wouldn't hurt either, but at least once is a very good idea.

I drank a bottle of my sparkling last night and it was great. In fact I actually enjoyed the last bit with some of the yeast in it from the bottom that I let slip past. It gave it more of a "vinegary" tart, but in a pleasant way, if that makes sense.

I've had a 5 litre batch, according to Edwort's recipe except I raised OG up to 1.070 and used some German champagne yeast instead, going for 6 days now. Airlock still going every few seconds, surface still sizzling loudly. I just thiefed a glass and measured while ago - 1.020 (about 6.8%). Taste was absolutely amazing - not too sweet at all, not dry, very apply and a nice golden cloudiness. Taste was only mildly yeasty.

I'm going to put it in the fridge in the morning to drop the yeast, then siphon into 6 plastic 0.75 litre strong cider bottles around noon. I'll go to the store to buy the rest of the juice needed to make a 5 gallon batch, then come back home and start drinking that Apfelwein while putting my batch together.

I've never tried Montrachet before, and I can't even get my hands on it here, but the Kitzinger Reinhefe Champagner yeast has an incredible taste IMO. It's not a really fast yeast, but I like it.

Sampled some of my carbed Apfelwein from my first batch, 3 months to the day. It tasted great. Love trying new things so I threw in a shot of butterscotch schnapps an it was also dangerously delicious it tasted like an awesome candy apple

Judt bottled my apfelwein tonight. Came out at 9.5%. This stuff is like apple flavored rocket fuel, except there's no alcohol bite, just that warm fuzzy feeling. Great work Ed!

I started a 6 gallon batch about 6.5 weeks ago using table sugar rather than corn sugar. My OG was 1.062. I still have a pretty decent array of bubbles creeping up the glass. I took a sample today and read a gravity of 1.003. It tastes slightly yeasty. Do I have a stuck fermentation? After originally reading the first 75 pages or so of the thread, I assumed I would have my carboy freed up by now but now after seeing the last few pages I see that most people are aging for 6 months or more. I'm hoping to get another brew started soon and I need a primary available. Suggestions?

I started a 6 gallon batch about 6.5 weeks ago using table sugar rather than corn sugar. My OG was 1.062. I still have a pretty decent array of bubbles creeping up the glass. I took a sample today and read a gravity of 1.003. It tastes slightly yeasty. Do I have a stuck fermentation? After originally reading the first 75 pages or so of the thread, I assumed I would have my carboy freed up by now but now after seeing the last few pages I see that most people are aging for 6 months or more. I'm hoping to get another brew started soon and I need a primary available. Suggestions?
Bottle, and pasteurize the bottles to be sure you don't get bombs. 1.003 is actually a little high for this stuff. It will age well enough in the bottle if you need the fermentor.

I did a batch of this 6 weeks ago but accidentally used 4 lbs of sugar and could only fit 4.5 gallons of apple juice into my carboy. I didn't take an OG reading. Any estimates on how high the abv is (it finished below 1)? I will make another batch shortly and use the correct amount of sugar!

I did a batch of this 6 weeks ago but accidentally used 4 lbs of sugar and could only fit 4.5 gallons of apple juice into my carboy. I didn't take an OG reading. Any estimates on how high the abv is (it finished below 1)? I will make another batch shortly and use the correct amount of sugar!
Well, about 1.090 OG. If you finished at 1.0 FG you should be sitting at 12% ABV.

I put everything together last night for my first batch of Apfelwein. Following EdWort's recipe exactly. Same brand apple juice and everything else. Ended up having to wait to put in the last bit of apple juice and pitch the yeast due to how much foam I got from shaking/mixing the apple juice and corn sugar. No biggie. I'm letting the foam die down and i'll top up and pitch the yeast tonight. My goal is to have this aged and bottled in time for xmas gifts this year. Cannot wait to taste this!

Thanks to all of those who contribute info in this thread!

-Kyle

LOL, I did the same. 2 kg of sugar into 19 litres of apple juice.

I start at 1.080, bottle and cold crash at 1.020 after 7 days - We like it slightly sweet and with a good kick. Keep it cold and don't let it get old :mug:

OK so I've been home brewing beer for about 6 months now and recently came across these threads on Apfelwein here on HBT. I've never made cider or wine before but I have a better bottle that I never use and Apfelwein seems pretty darn simple to make so I'm seriously considering brewing a batch. Here's what I'm wondering though....will I like it? I used to live in the UK and I like the ciders over there, I really dislike sweet or white wine though. So I guess here is my question. If someone likes hard cider but hates sweet or white wine, what are they chances they will like Apfelwein?

Thanks.

Here's what I'm wondering though....will I like it? I used to live in the UK and I like the ciders over there, I really dislike sweet or white wine though. So I guess here is my question. If someone likes hard cider but hates sweet or white wine, what are they chances they will like Apfelwein?

Apfelwein is the German language word for cider. I think you will like it.

Apfelwein is the German language word for cider. I think you will like it.

Thanks for the response. I see some have used US-05 yeast in place of the Montrachet. I've used 05 in Pale Ale's but what effect does this have in a cider? Will it taste less "wine-like" and more "cider-like?"

Thanks again.

OK so I've been home brewing beer for about 6 months now and recently came across these threads on Apfelwein here on HBT. I've never made cider or wine before but I have a better bottle that I never use and Apfelwein seems pretty darn simple to make so I'm seriously considering brewing a batch. Here's what I'm wondering though....will I like it? I used to live in the UK and I like the ciders over there, I really dislike sweet or white wine though. So I guess here is my question. If someone likes hard cider but hates sweet or white wine, what are they chances they will like Apfelwein?

Thanks.

So far people on the site have made 26 000 gallons of it. I think it is a good chance you will like it

Started a 5 gallon batch in a bucket with a tea-towel over top (going with the use-what-you-have approach...and besides...it worked for my dandelion wine!). Fermentation started strong after 24-36 hours...I could hear it in different parts of the house! after about 4-5 days total, fermentation is no longer audible, but still working away.

I just had to sample some. I think it is delicious so far...tastes a bit like a slightly sour, watered-down apple juice. It goes down almost TOO easy! The wife tried it and thinks it's too sour, but agreed to reserve judgment until it's been fermenting for at least the full 4 weeks.

I originally wasn't going to start another batch until it was done, but after tasting it this young, there will be another 5 gallons or more on the go within the next week. I have a feeling the rest of the family will be enjoying this as well...might not be hard to go through the full batch in just a few weekends.

and I followed Ed's recipe exactly, and will do so for the next few as well. I am very pleased with this. I think I have a whopping $22 invested in this...works out to less than $1 per bottle I think...much better than hitting up the wine or liquor store every week!

Back