Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a first time user on this thread.

Greetings everyone.

I did an apfelwein last fall and could only manage a two month wait to bottle. I was a bit disappointed. Will try again and hold out for the recommended 6 months.

Is there any reason I can't use the recipe with other fruit juices, and will I still be able to keep it on the lees for the six months? Many fruit juices are cheaper than apple juice in my area.

Anyone out there done a successful ~wein with other juices?

Greetings everyone.

I did an apfelwein last fall and could only manage a two month wait to bottle. I was a bit disappointed. Will try again and hold out for the recommended 6 months.

Is there any reason I can't use the recipe with other fruit juices, and will I still be able to keep it on the lees for the six months? Many fruit juices are cheaper than apple juice in my area.

Depending on the juice, you may want to make small changes in the recipe, especially if you are going for a still wine instead of a sparkling cider. For instance look up Wurzel's Orange Wine for an orange juice/grape juice mix.

What area do you live? I know that locally the big box stores have a rather in expensive apple juice that does well. What is cheap in your area? Maybe we can give you some advice on where to look for a good recipe.

I've done a cherry wine with 5 gallons of bottled cherry juice using the same method as apfelwein. In primary for about 2.5 months, maybe 3, and bottle aged for about 1 month before trying. It was ok, tasted light, not much cherry flavor. 2-3 months aging it was still light on the cherry flavor to my taste.

I currently have a peach mango going with the same apfelwein method since it was cheap in the store not long ago. Currently at 1.5 months in primary and smells ok. I still have some of the peach mango and planning on sorbate'ing and campdening at 2.5 months and backsweetening... Not sure how much yet, but it won't take much I'm sure.

Also, any variation of the apple juice is good. I have another batch alongside the peach of apple juice with 3 cinnamon sticks and 3 extra cans of apple concentrate to boost the apple flavor (I hope). It smelled so good the first couple of days and ferm. really took off. It'll be over the 8-10% abv of apfelwein, but my plan is to save this for Christmas this year (like it'll last until then!!).

My now fully carbed apfelwein from early March, 2013 is amazing (in a carboy for about a month, in the bottle carbing for 2 months). I love the pop of my flip top pint bottle, then served, crystal-clear in a pint glass chilled and sparkling... I like it as much (maybe more) as any commercial cider I've tried (Strongbow, Magners, Blackthorn, Woodchuck) I don't know how this is supposed to get better. I'm stockpiling it in my basement now, in the hopes that I will actually be able to taste some that gets to six months. It also seems to have mass appeal. Simple, cheap to make...

Greetings everyone.

You might try letting it sit in the bottle for a few months as well, trying it every few weeks to see how it changes. For juice, I've been happy enough with the Kroger store brand which is like $3.75 a gallon at full price. Here is a post I made with the different apfelwein variations I've done:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/index1117.html#post5176806

Also, any variation of the apple juice is good. I have another batch alongside the peach of apple juice with 3 cinnamon sticks and 3 extra cans of apple concentrate to boost the apple flavor (I hope). It smelled so good the first couple of days and ferm. really took off. It'll be over the 8-10% abv of apfelwein, but my plan is to save this for Christmas this year (like it'll last until then!!).

I used 2 cans of concentrate in my last batch and cut a half pound of sugar to make it about the same abv. It did noticeable add to the apple flavor, and at bottling I was thinking that it would be the only way I would make it in the future, but I know that's not true. I might try 3 cans next time.

Got 5 gallons of Tree Top apple juice per the recipe's suggested brand last night. Got my Montrachet yeast and carboy ready for use. Just need to get my hands on some Dextrose and i'll get starting my first batch of Apfelwein to be ready for xmas gifts.

Greetings everyone.

Disappointed how exactly? If you mean it didn't taste much like apples I would suggest either back sweetening with apple juice concentrate, or adding fruit after you hit FG to the next batch. For solid fruit additions tart apples work best, and you generally want to scoop the fruit out after a couple weeks.

If you mean the flavor wasn't complex enough, then I would suggest simmering some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a quart of juice for 20 minutes or so. Then adding the whole thing, spices and all, to the fermentor when you mix it up. Also to a future batch. Another option is to add either brewing tannic acid power or just plain black tea bags. I'm not in love with the tea method, as if it isn't fairly good tea, it can give you a "grassy" flavor.

If you mean it reminded you a little bit of soy sauce, then rack it off the lees after a couple of weeks. Most people can't taste this at all. I can. It's less then desirable in a wine.

If you mean it wasn't alcoholic enough, then up the sugar.

I find it extremely likely that practically everybody who makes this stuff on a regular basis has their own personal variation.

EDIT: You can also change the tartness with acid blend, powdered citric acid, powdered ascorbic acid, or even good old lemon juice.

Something else you can do is change the yeast to something that produces more of the flavor compounds you like. I make lots of fruit wines with champagne yeast.

Damn should have followed Ed's advice and got another batch going 2 weeks after, have only 3 bottles left, lesson learned

Tried a taster from the hydrometer sample (1.005) of what I made on 4/4 and it was delicious! SWMBO loved it! Put another batch on last week, and might even buy another carboy to have 3 batches going at once!

I guess the first reason. I did add it to some cheap soda but it ended up taking on the taste of the soda. I will try with more apple juice or the cinnamon sticks.

Thanks.

I'm ready to bottle my first batch and want to bottle it 4 ways so I will know what I like best when batch #2 is ready. I followed the original recipe.

Plain (uncarbed/no backsweetening)
Plain carbed
Plain backsweetened
Plain carbed and backsweetened

I think I will just use Splenda to sweeten and think I want to go "lightly carbed" Any suggestions on the amount of corn sugar to achieve a light carbonation? ...and how much splenda would yall suggest for sweetening?

hey guys - I brewed up a 4.5G batch of this on March 1st 2013 and I'm thinking about bottling it. It's been crystal clear in the carboy for a while now, and I'm somewhat surprised that there seems to be very little yeast on the bottom - compared to when I brew beer I get an inch or two of lees.

so I have two questions:
1) to carb or not to carb? bottle it as is, or carb it up?
2) if I decide to carb it: do I need to worry that my yeasties are dead? (I bottle carb my beers - I don't keg)

thanks in advance...
-KD

2) if I decide to carb it: do I need to worry that my yeasties are dead? (I bottle carb my beers - I don't keg)

They aren't dead, they're just waiting for more sugar. After bottling my first batch I started a new batch on top of the old yeast. It took off almost immediately.

I'm ready to bottle my first batch and want to bottle it 4 ways so I will know what I like best when batch #2 is ready. I followed the original recipe.

Plain (uncarbed/no backsweetening)
Plain carbed
Plain backsweetened
Plain carbed and backsweetened

I think I will just use Splenda to sweeten and think I want to go "lightly carbed" Any suggestions on the amount of corn sugar to achieve a light carbonation? ...and how much splenda would yall suggest for sweetening?
I would suggest using a priming sugar calculator. I prefer fairly light carbonation, between 1.5 and 2 volumes. I find much over 3 volumes to be irritating. That's really a matter of personal preference though.

It might be worth noting that sparkling cider has more of a tang to it, since we were discussing adding acid to cider a little ways back. The co2 forms carbonic acid when it enters into solution in a water based liquid. When it is in it's acid form, you can actually taste it. It doesn't just alter the mouth feel as the co2 leaves the solution.

The amount of splenda you want to add is literally a matter of taste. I would suggest adding it in small doses and tasting after each one is dissolved. Make sure you use baking splenda and not the packets. The packets use an anti-clumping agent that occasionally ferments and can mess up your priming sugar calculations.

Interestingly enough, the apple flavor actually increases when it's been aged. Or, more precisely, the apple flavor is always subtle but the alcohol flavor covers it when it's young. As it ages the apparent alcohol flavor and aroma drop to practically nothing, allowing you to taste the apple more. It will be a little more apparent if you sweeten it slightly. A fair amount of what most people define as "apple" in their head is actually sugar.

OK...now I am seeing the light! I just cracked one from an earlier 1-gallon batch (bottled 2 months ago after 1 month in primary). Apple flavor is much more noticeable when compared to the newer 5 week batch, even completely dry as it is. Really a night and day sort of difference. There is still a tang of alcohol harshness, but now I recognize it for what it is and I know it will go away.

Damn, this stuff is ridiculously good. Cheap apple juice and sugar, come on? Really? That's it? How in the world does that happen? I am so glad I have another 5 gallons already in with 6 weeks in primary already. By the time my first tester batch disappears this stuff should be outstanding! EdWort was right, make a new batch 2 weeks after the old one! You'll be sorry if you don't!

Wow that bottling day was a little different. 4 types of Apfelwein

1.25 gal Plain (uncarbed/no backsweetening) in wine bottles
1.25 gal Plain carbed in 22oz beer bottles
1.25 gal Plain backsweetened in wine bottles
1.25 gal Plain carbed and backsweetened in 22oz beer bottles

I backseweetened with Splenda and just did a wild guess using 1.5 tbsp per bottle. My target was 2 volumes for carbonation

All packed up to age a few months except for 1 bottle of each which I will sample once a month of so after a couple of months. Batch#2 will be all one type.

Hey guys, I have a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein in primary now about 4 weeks. Would like to bottle it soon to carb and pasteurize some and let the rest age in the bottle after natural carbing in the bottle. My question is, will it still age properly sealed in the bottle? I plan on carbing with one can of concentrate in the whole five gallon batch then once half is bottled I will add another can if concentrate to the remainder and bottle then pasteurize at appropriate carb level, any suggestions?

BamaProud said:
Wow that bottling day was a little different. 4 types of Apfelwein

1.25 gal Plain (uncarbed/no backsweetening) in wine bottles
1.25 gal Plain carbed in 22oz beer bottles
1.25 gal Plain backsweetened in wine bottles
1.25 gal Plain carbed and backsweetened in 22oz beer bottles

I backseweetened with Splenda and just did a wild guess using 1.5 tbsp per bottle. My target was 2 volumes for carbonation

All packed up to age a few months except for 1 bottle of each which I will sample once a month of so after a couple of months. Batch#2 will be all one type.

You didn't use Splenda as your priming sugar did ya?

captgreg said:
Hey guys, I have a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein in primary now about 4 weeks. Would like to bottle it soon to carb and pasteurize some and let the rest age in the bottle after natural carbing in the bottle. My question is, will it still age properly sealed in the bottle? I plan on carbing with one can of concentrate in the whole five gallon batch then once half is bottled I will add another can if concentrate to the remainder and bottle then pasteurize at appropriate carb level, any suggestions?

Bottle aging is perfectly fine. Bulk age is better but since you are carbing you can do the latter. As far as the fajc do it to taste, but remember the yeast is gonna eat up the sugars in the juice and its gonna be drier than bottling day. I suggest adding additional sugar for carbonation and then pasteurize when ready.

I have made a number of batches the past 18 months. But the most recent batch I made in January 13 and planned to let it age the full 3 months in carboy before bottling or kegging. Then I couldn't decide which, didn't brew for a few months, had water damage at the house, etc. and here I am end of May and finally deciding to keg it roughly 4 1/2 months. My understanding was the longer in the carboy the better it gets.

Kegged it Sunday and gave it a quick taste Tuesday just to check, and it tasted not good. It should really have a full week in the keg or longer, and I don't have the pressure cranked up or anything (I think its at 7 or 8) because I have my orangepassionfruitapfelwine on tap plus two beers, but I don't know why it would taste crappy after 3 days on pressure. It should taste excellent but flat, not crappy.

Has anyone found that leaving it the carboy too long ruins it? Should I have taken the airlock off and just capped it after the first month? Do you think time on pressure and/or more aging will cure it? I couldn't place the off flavor but my fellow brewer thought it was getting a vinegar type flavor.

Also looking for creative solutions if it is ruined. Choices include mixing with other cider/apfelwine, dumping it, aging it, etc.

And if you have opinions about that, I also have a blonde ale that got ruined by tannins and although mixing it kind of works on a bottle by bottle basis, you still catch that tannin (cardboard) flavor and I hesitate to mix the whole batch at one time and potentially ruin the other beer or end up with an even bigger batch of crappy beer. Which has me hesitating to do it with that beer or my apfelwine if it really is ruined.

My most recent batch (2nd one) was a disaster at bottling time. It was completely turned :(.

I let it sit in the primary for about 5 1/2 months before noticing that the airlock was drying up. Not completely dried up yet though. Filling it up again took a backburner to other things I was doing that day and a couple days later, noticed the airlock did not have enough liquid in it to prevent o2 from getting inside. O2 could've been exposed for a little less than half a day when I filled it up again.

Since I was bottling it in the coming weekend I didn't campden it or anything. In the bottling bucket I normally dissolve my campden with a little water. Did that and my normal bottling routine and tasted a sample. Very watery apple taste with a bitter aftertaste. Yuck! I could tell it was turning. I ended up with 23 bottles of it. Tried 1 a week later and it was even worse...

So, there ya have it. I ruined a 5 gallon batch in less than half a day after 5 1/2 months. Keep an eye on your airlocks folks, don't make my mistake...

Going for my 3rd batch of it tonight. Won't make the same mistake twice :).

crap, that is what happened to me I bet. Airlock wasn't dry, but noticeably lower than it was a month ago. I bet its O2 that killed my taste. So sad if this is the case but will let everyone know in a week.

Anyone know if I had just capped it, would I have been okay?

Capping it would've created to much pressure buildup and possibly blow. Better to just make sure airlock is full of vodka at all times.

I have made a number of batches the past 18 months. But the most recent batch I made in January 13 and planned to let it age the full 3 months in carboy before bottling or kegging. Then I couldn't decide which, didn't brew for a few months, had water damage at the house, etc. and here I am end of May and finally deciding to keg it roughly 4 1/2 months. My understanding was the longer in the carboy the better it gets.

Kegged it Sunday and gave it a quick taste Tuesday just to check, and it tasted not good. It should really have a full week in the keg or longer, and I don't have the pressure cranked up or anything (I think its at 7 or 8) because I have my orangepassionfruitapfelwine on tap plus two beers, but I don't know why it would taste crappy after 3 days on pressure. It should taste excellent but flat, not crappy.

Has anyone found that leaving it the carboy too long ruins it? Should I have taken the airlock off and just capped it after the first month? Do you think time on pressure and/or more aging will cure it? I couldn't place the off flavor but my fellow brewer thought it was getting a vinegar type flavor.

Also looking for creative solutions if it is ruined. Choices include mixing with other cider/apfelwine, dumping it, aging it, etc.

And if you have opinions about that, I also have a blonde ale that got ruined by tannins and although mixing it kind of works on a bottle by bottle basis, you still catch that tannin (cardboard) flavor and I hesitate to mix the whole batch at one time and potentially ruin the other beer or end up with an even bigger batch of crappy beer. Which has me hesitating to do it with that beer or my apfelwine if it really is ruined.
Hmm. Reminds me of what happens to wine sometimes when it's been left on the lees to long. It starts tasting like soy sauce. I've never found any way to correct the problem.

My third batch of apfelwein sat for about a year in a better bottle and I definitely pick up some oxidation notes (like the cardboard you describe). Not everyone seems to be as sensitive to the flavor, but I think your only option is blending once oxidation occurs

Hmm. Reminds me of what happens to wine sometimes when it's been left on the lees to long. It starts tasting like soy sauce. I've never found any way to correct the problem.

I normally read cardboard from oxidation. Soy sauce either from oxidation or yeast autolysis, depending on the soy sauce character. Umami/savory is from the autolysis, which would probably be related to the lees in your situation. Or even a combination of the two

I think most people bottle age. I would expect carbing with concentrate to take extra time, and you probably want to the double-check the math on the concentrate's amount of sugar compared to how much you'd prime with otherwise. On my last batch I added concentrate to the beginning of fermentation. 2 cans = roughly 1/2lb, which would be about the rate we carb at with 1 can. The fermentation on that batch lasted a few weeks longer than regular apfelwein which I'd assume to be the case with carbonating as well.

I ran out of clean beer bottles and bottled 2 bottles in Champagne(I think/hope) bottles. Carbonating at 2 volumes(my target), if I am wrong about the bottles being champagne bottles, do yall think wine bottles can handle that much pressure, or will I likely have bombs?

BamaProud said:
I ran out of clean beer bottles and bottled 2 bottles in Champagne(I think/hope) bottles. Carbonating at 2 volumes(my target), if I am wrong about the bottles being champagne bottles, do yall think wine bottles can handle that much pressure, or will I likely have bombs?

It really depends on the bottle. I've gotten wine both in paper thin bottles and in bulletproof glass bottles. There is huge variance.

How did you cap them?

It really depends on the bottle. I've gotten wine both in paper thin bottles and in bulletproof glass bottles. There is huge variance.

How did you cap them?

Corks. They are pretty heavy duty bottles. I am not too worried, but thought I would ask.

BamaProud said:
Corks. They are pretty heavy duty bottles. I am not too worried, but thought I would ask.

Did you cage the corks, if not they will push out under pressure.

Nothing is certain but it is a high likelihood. Just think about every carbonated 'wine' you have ever seen. They all have caps or cages.

champagne bottles typically have an extra lip at the top, i have bottled a few beers in them simply using a bottle cap and capper, that way the cabonation stays in the brew. if you're that worried about it, pull the cork and put a cap on it.

Yea the bottles did have a extra lip...that is why I assumed they were champagne bottles...but the lip looked too big for a cap. I guess I will look more closely this afternoon. If is will accept a cap, I don't see any reason I couldn't just cap over the cork.

...otherwise, I will make a "cage" out of ducttape. :)

Lotta times that is a european 29mm bottle cap instead of a 25mm 'Murikan cap. You would need a different size bell for your capper and the larger caps too.

So I made my second batch of Apfelwein last weekend. It's a Cranberry apple mix. Did 2 gallons of Cranberry Juice and 3 gallons of Apple juice. Also changed up the yeasties and used S-05 this time.

Anyone tried doing this with S-05? What was your experience with it? Did it taste good/bad?

Also, anyone did this using cranberry juice?

So I made my second batch of Apfelwein last weekend. It's a Cranberry apple mix. Did 2 gallons of Cranberry Juice and 3 gallons of Apple juice. Also changed up the yeasties and used S-05 this time.

Anyone tried doing this with S-05? What was your experience with it? Did it taste good/bad?

Also, anyone did this using cranberry juice?
Hmm, no but I've done cranberry wine before. I find it likely that your cranberry flavor will pretty much stomp on your apple flavor. Not actually a bad thing, as it should mellow the cranberry a lot. Cranberry wine tends to be really tart with straight cranberry juice.

Holy smokes this stuff is amazing! I bottled and sampled at just 3 months in but I can see the HUGE potential. I back sweetened 5 gal pretty heavily to the specs of SWMBO - luckily in anticipation I made 2 batches!

I read another thread where black tea was used so I experimented and loved it. My second batch I'm looking to add tea and maybe even do a split batch and oak the other half with some medium toast french oak.

apfelwein.jpg

Hmm, no but I've done cranberry wine before. I find it likely that your cranberry flavor will pretty much stomp on your apple flavor. Not actually a bad thing, as it should mellow the cranberry a lot. Cranberry wine tends to be really tart with straight cranberry juice.

I thought about cranberry, but I think pomegranate would be delicious. I had a korean pomegranate wine the otehr day that got me to thinking about blending fruits.

Back