Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the RYR doesn't have enough diastatic power in any amount to convert starches to sugars?

I'm not sure of the properties but, I've done experimental batches with just RYR and it didn't work. It only worked when the yeast balls or ARL were involved.

Maybe Im wrong, but shouldnt you be able to underpitch on the yeast balls to only convert the sugar partially and then ferment it dry with another yeast?

That might work. It you use the yeast balls and let it work for 6-12 days and then pitch a champagne yeast, it might work. I can't see why not.

I'm not sure of the properties but, I've done experimental batches with just RYR and it didn't work. It only worked when the yeast balls or ARL were involved.

I think he was asking about using RYR with champagne yeast, not RYR only. Worth a shot.

This may already have been answered in the many many pages of posts and I missed it, I see everyone using roughly the same jar with the twist lid, I have easy access to a few large pickle jars with lids..would those be suitable for use?

This may already have been answered in the many many pages of posts and I missed it, I see everyone using roughly the same jar with the twist lid, I have easy access to a few large pickle jars with lids..would those be suitable for use?

I'd say yes. So long as it can be sanitized and it holds liquid, it can be used. If you have enough space for cheesecloth (or something to create a gap large enough to allow gasses to vent) you're good to go. I've seen people use Tupperware containers, pickle jars, mason jars, cookie jars and even ceramic pots.

Take a picture of your vessel and give us a peek.

First off I want to say thank you to everyone that's posted their experience on this thread, you made me really want to try this. I made a 5 cup (rice cooker measuring cup, a little smaller than a real cup) batch last week, the change even after a couple days is amazing. After a week it already smells like a good unfiltered sake, I can't wait to taste the final product.
One question though, any reason for the difference in my jars? They where made at the same time from the same batch of rice. The only difference is I mixed the yeast with the rice in the shorter jar and mixed the yeast with the rice in the rice cooker bowl then put that in the mason jar. The rice was more compact in the shorter jar, could that cause the difference? They both smell awesome and have about the same amount of liquid.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

They both look good, I wouldn't worry. Could be the shape of the jar, how compacted it was, less yeast in one vs other.

First off I want to say thank you to everyone that's posted their experience on this thread, you made me really want to try this. I made a 5 cup (rice cooker measuring cup, a little smaller than a real cup) batch last week, the change even after a couple days is amazing. After a week it already smells like a good unfiltered sake, I can't wait to taste the final product.
One question though, any reason for the difference in my jars? They where made at the same time from the same batch of rice. The only difference is I mixed the yeast with the rice in the shorter jar and mixed the yeast with the rice in the rice cooker bowl then put that in the mason jar. The rice was more compact in the shorter jar, could that cause the difference? They both smell awesome and have about the same amount of liquid.

I agree with BGBC. Probably the shape of the jars. Also probably the texture of the inside of the jars. The mason jar might bee smoother inside?

Either way, they both look really good. Those are only a week old?

I agree with BGBC. Probably the shape of the jars. Also probably the texture of the inside of the jars. The mason jar might bee smoother inside?

Either way, they both look really good. Those are only a week old?

Hmm, interesting. I figured they were both fine, just weird how different they look.

Yep, I started them on the 18th.

Definitely the way you mixed the yeast in with the rice. Since you mixed one in a bowl first then transferred to the jar, tge rice was able to separate. Whereas when you mixed the yeast and rice in the jar everything became more compact. I agree though that they both look really good and you should be fine.

Been wanting to try this for a while now, think i'll pull the trigger this weekend. I've got the ingredients, but i'm not 100% on the vessel. I've got a 2 gallon ceramic crock used for kombucha with no lid (cheesecloth), or an old glass milk jug(that has a lid) with a small opening, which might make the transfer of rice a royal pain. Pros and cons to both, I guess.
Any input?

Finally got around to putting this together and settled on the Ceramic Crock, I've got a bit less than a gallon of rice (that's a guess). I used 8 yeast balls and mashed them all together.

Since I've only got a (secured) cheese cloth on top, should I be concerned about headspace with this? If it's a concern I do have a big plastic bowl with a lid I could use instead of a crock. I literally just finished working the yeast in so I've got some time before fermentation really gets anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to putting this together and settled on the Ceramic Crock, I've got a bit less than a gallon of rice (that's a guess). I used 8 yeast balls and mashed them all together.

Since I've only got a (secured) cheese cloth on top, should I be concerned about headspace with this? If it's a concern I do have a big plastic bowl with a lid I could use instead of a crock. I literally just finished working the yeast in so I've got some time before fermentation really gets anywhere.

I think if you just fold the cheese cloth over several times and secure it to the crock, you will be fine. Maybe lay a small plate over the opening?

Zero issues with headroom, it will get smaller as it ferments.

So where in the store am I going to find these dried yeast balls? I went to a very large Asian market and looked everywhere and couldn't find them. I did find rice balls in the refrigerated section but I'm pretty sure that isn't them. I checked by the rice and in the baking area especially well with no luck. Finally I asked 2 workers and they had no clue what a dried yeast ball is... I live in Houston so I know someone here has to carry them. I just have to find them!

PS if you look for them online be sure to type in "dried yeast balls." When you leave the "dried" out and just type yeast balls you get results about itchy nether regions :)

If the market you are in is a Vietnamese market, you will not find them. If it is a Korean market you won't find the balls but you will find nuruk. They will call it enzymes. Pretty much the same thing as far as I know.

So where in the store am I going to find these dried yeast balls? I went to a very large Asian market and looked everywhere and couldn't find them. I did find rice balls in the refrigerated section but I'm pretty sure that isn't them. I checked by the rice and in the baking area especially well with no luck. Finally I asked 2 workers and they had no clue what a dried yeast ball is... I live in Houston so I know someone here has to carry them. I just have to find them!

PS if you look for them online be sure to type in "dried yeast balls." When you leave the "dried" out and just type yeast balls you get results about itchy nether regions :)

Take a photo of the rice cakes in the package and show it to the clerk they will know what your up to and help.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Also, if you go to ebay and search for "Chinese Yeast Balls" you'll find our own jak1010 selling them. I've bought from him a few times now.

Started my first batch of rice wine. Did things a little different, steamed 5lbs sweet rice placed in 5gal brew bucket let cool. While rice was cooling I placed yeast balls in warm water to desolve. Them mixed yeast slury with cooled rice put on lid and airlock. Has started to get the fuzzy mold in under 16hrs.

I found the yeast balls right by all the dried mushrooms. They weren't refrigerated, just sitting in a bin on the bottom self without any sign or label.

Let us know how it comes out. I had mine done the same way, and from reading some of the other peoples accounts, there is a possibility of it being more sour if the water amounts are off it seams.

After 450+ pages of responses, does someone have a reasonable table of "cups of rice" to "yeast balls required"? I'm still trying to figure that out. I've got a lot (lot for me) of rice cooking now with the intention of putting down The Mother Of All Rice Wine Batches, but am just not sure how much yeast to use. I don't mind going over by a bunch. But I'm just not all that sure how much 'going over' is.

Not sure anybody has figured that out as they have for brewing beer. All I can tell you is that 1 yeast ball for every 2-3 cups of dry rice before cooking has worked fine for me.

Not sure anybody has figured that out as they have for brewing beer. All I can tell you is that 1 yeast ball for every 2-3 cups of dry rice before cooking has worked fine for me.

Cool, thanks. That's as good a starting point as any. I started an experiment last week to figure this out, but it's too early to tell.

I just put 4 in 14 and I've no idea if that's low or not. I'll probably add a couple.

After 450+ pages of responses, does someone have a reasonable table of "cups of rice" to "yeast balls required"? I'm still trying to figure that out. I've got a lot (lot for me) of rice cooking now with the intention of putting down The Mother Of All Rice Wine Batches, but am just not sure how much yeast to use. I don't mind going over by a bunch. But I'm just not all that sure how much 'going over' is.

My standard batch is 2 balls for every 4-5 cups of dry rice. I don't know if that's too much but, it's definitely not too little since it always works for me.

I've been lazy with this ARL and RYR batch. Started it on 7/31 and haven't gotten around to harvesting. Although I just stole a sample and it's friggin awesome. I really want to make a LARGE batch soon.

Maybe I'll do the large batch sometime in the Winter.

1409608614618.jpg

1409608637086.jpg

My standard batch is 2 balls for every 4-5 cups of dry rice. I don't know if that's too much but, it's definitely not too little since it always works for me.

Good enough for me. Thanks o/

I'll crush up a couple more for good measure.

Honestly I wouldn't use over six cups of rice per packet(two balls) of yeast balls. When crushed the powder produced by the balls is just enough to cover this amount of rice plus a little more. You could probably stretch it, but these things( rice balls) are pretty cheap.

I ended up adding two, making it 6 to 14 cups. We'll see how it goes. Got to start another batch soon as I just ordered some RYR :p

Quasi-failed experiment: As a goof I put half a pint of blueberries in a '2 cups of jasmine rice' batch, right at the beginning. It sure came out pretty. Just tasted it yesterday. Meh. Couldn't taste the difference at all.

I'm going to try a full pint next. And, unlike the goofball that did the first test I'll take pictures this time. :p

Back