Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a medicine dropper and sucked about .5 ounce out of the bucket. OH MY! That stuff is weird! Kind of good but kind of not good. I don't know if I like it.
Kind of reminds me of champagne. Quite a burn going down. Kind of good though. I might bottle tomorrow. Swear I want to try some more. Did I mention that stuff is weird but also kind of goooood
:):(:ban::rockin::tank::confused:

exactly . burns like it is real acidic and tastes strange . Not horrible just not good .
Could just be something wrong . I am going for a new batch to test the theory

Mine doesn't "burn like it's acidic"(sounds like you got some rice wine vinegar on your hands) and it tastes like white wine. If you're not a fan of wine, this probably isn't for you.

Because I put rice in then yeast, then rice then yeast, rice then yeast dot dot dot and compacted the whole thing, will it mess up the fermenting process?

Exactly how I do my batches. My bet is you'll be fine with it.

exactly . burns like it is real acidic and tastes strange . Not horrible just not good .
Could just be something wrong . I am going for a new batch to test the theory

Mine doesn't "burn like it's acidic"(sounds like you got some rice wine vinegar on your hands) and it tastes like white wine. If you're not a fan of wine, this probably isn't for you.

I meant more like a high % alcohol type of a burn.
I polished off a full 12 ounce bottle of this drinking shots mixed with a little cherry grenadine. feeling pretty good right now:drunk:

Something I've discovered... Try a glass of this with just a little shot of cran-grape juice thrown in. The cranberry gives it a bitter feel like a wine with tannin and the grape gives it a wine taste like it came from grapes. Doesn't take much added. In an 8 oz glass, I maybe add a half ounce? Your tastes may differ.

Something I've discovered... Try a glass of this with just a little shot of cran-grape juice thrown in. The cranberry gives it a bitter feel like a wine with tannin and the grape gives it a wine taste like it came from grapes. Doesn't take much added. In an 8 oz glass, I maybe add a half ounce? Your tastes may differ.

I'll be trying this tonight as i have cran-grape and cran pomegranate.

3 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced, slightly boiled, cooled, in a quart jar with 1 yeast ball.

DSC02417.jpg

3 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced, slightly boiled, cooled, in a quart jar with 1 yeast ball.

Let the experiments begin!!! That's what happens when you get your hands on Yeast Balls and realize you can ferment rice into an alcoholic beverage.

Good luck. Someone else tried sweet potatoes and if I remember right, they weren't happy with the results. But hey, maybe your technique will be different. Please let me know.

the batch I made from black rice , really red rice tastes like that . Kind of a cranberry taste.

no it is not vinegar . It really does not taste bad that way just a strange sweet taste . the burn is more of a harsh sting in the throat that is not really the same as alcohol burn from say a shot of everclear . It is just odd .
On the other hand I have a jar in the fridge at about 55 degrees for a while now . It is tasting better and has less sting to it .

I have a sulfur smell in my jar. Any tips or recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

I looked at mine on the third day. It's forming a little at the bottom but not much. It is a 1 gallon batch though. Could be why

no it is not vinegar . It really does not taste bad that way just a strange sweet taste . the burn is more of a harsh sting in the throat that is not really the same as alcohol burn from say a shot of everclear . It is just odd .
On the other hand I have a jar in the fridge at about 55 degrees for a while now . It is tasting better and has less sting to it .
Time will take the edge off and smooth it out. 6 months is right about perfect. :)
I have a sulfur smell in my jar. Any tips or recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app
After you harvest, drop an old copper penny into your wine and shake it vigorously. It does need to be a copper penny, not a newer zinc one. If it's got green corrosion on it, then don't use it. The copper oxide should bond to some of the sulfur compounds and cause them to fall out of solution. So, you'll want to let it settle and then decant the wine. The degassing will also release a lot of the sulfur gasses which also helps.

I'm 5 or 6 ounces into an 8 ounce glass of my sushi rice batch and I wouldn't doubt it's 20% :tank:

Yup...looks good to me. In about 2 more weeks, the rice will compact, start floating and then look terrible. You should get a layer of white or whitish mold on top of the rice and when you harvest (strain it out) the rice looks nothing at all like rice.

Well finally I have a jar that is actually making enough gas to show bubbles . it is black rice . It is one that I added in more water & yeast after it had fermented for a month and put in fridge at 60 degrees . So i suspect this one will make much more alcohol than the others .
the others I also added water/yeast most were white rice and one mixed . so far none of them are bubbling . So for them I have another idea . i will put them in a apparatus we can not talk about on this forum and fix the stuff. I am expecting a much tastier version of the rice wine .

Yup...looks good to me. In about 2 more weeks, the rice will compact, start floating and then look terrible. You should get a layer of white or whitish mold on top of the rice and when you harvest (strain it out) the rice looks nothing at all like rice.

that rice does look odd after fermenting . it also turns to a rubber like substance . I am thinking there could be a good use for this stuff. Not sure what but I bet something .

Has anyone tried just chucking the rice balls in with their rice as is? I mean it comes as a ball and not a powder for reason. If crushing the yeast ball is a step that can be skipped I'm all for making the process as easy as possible

I had two cups of extra rice and thought, "why not?"

I just wedged one yeast ball in the top and left the top exposed. This picture is after 23 days. You can see the rice is broken down and can make out the top of the ball in the center. The rice was liquefying just as well as crushed ball batches even after just two days. Same yield as other batches with the same "I can't believe how little rice lees are left after harvest." There was no evidence of the yeast ball after squeezing out the liquid.

For safety's sake, I'm going to keep hitting my balls with a hammer, but it's fun to know that you can get wine by just putting put your balls in your rice. ;)

Uncrushed ball.jpg

Make a small batch and instead of harvesting liquid, just eat it after 3 days. It's good hot or cold. There's more info about this scattered about this thread.

hopefully it tastes nothing like the rice I tried after a week . Nasty for sure . Just tasted a bit out of the jar.

Well finally I have a jar that is actually making enough gas to show bubbles . it is black rice . It is one that I added in more water & yeast after it had fermented for a month and put in fridge at 60 degrees . So i suspect this one will make much more alcohol than the others .
the others I also added water/yeast most were white rice and one mixed . so far none of them are bubbling . So for them I have another idea . i will put them in a apparatus we can not talk about on this forum and fix the stuff. I am expecting a much tastier version of the rice wine .

:mug::rockin:

Finally bottled mine last night after letting it cold crash and settle for a couple weeks. Ended up with twelve 750ml wine bottles full of nice clear wine minus about a good swig from filling the 12th. That one is now minus a couple swigs more. It ended up being maybe a bit on the dry side after clearing, (FG of .988.. though still some sweetness in the taste) but that's easily fixed with a shot of some sort of fruit juice additive, though it's still good on its own. I've got @ 20 bottles of the wine with RYR now, so tonight I'm going to start a batch without it.. just the 10 lbs of sweet rice. Instead of adding a gallon and a half of additional water after cooking, I'm going to try cutting that back to just a gallon and see if I can find something in between this very dry and the sickening sweet (To me) of no water added.

Haha...Not at all. In fact, I was reading your last post and wondering when you started that batch you just bottled.

Haha...Not at all. In fact, I was reading your last post and wondering when you started that batch you just bottled.

Looks like @ Dec 17th.. strained out @ Jan 14th and sitting in a fridge until bottling.

Tonight, I just got done bottling 5 gallons of banana wine, I put 6 gallons more on cold crash duty for a week or two, will be putting 14 gallons of pear wine into secondaries, and after that, will start a 10 lb batch of sweet rice wine minus the RYR.

I got 12 gallons of beer started in the last two days with three more 6 gal batches to make before we go on vacation in a week and a half, so my alc supply is getting built back up this winter!
:cross::drunk::cross::drunk::D

Go ahead.. hit me with the :off: lol. I deserve it.

First batch initiated, 5 cups dry Thai jasmine rice added 2.5 oz sugar for some reason. It is now in an improvised fermentation chamber at around 80F. Sound good?
Want to start another batch tomorrow with RYR, How much should I use for the same size batch?
Thanks in advance and thanks again jac1010!

I've had trouble with batches that warm getting sour. Chinese friends told me the best temps for this stuff is @ 60 degrees, and said they don't even try to make it in the warm months because of this? As always, results vary.

Hahaha!

I just got some inspiration: Cajun dirty rice wine!

And, maybe, pork fried rice wine? Perfect in a snifter with a splash of soy sauce.

I wonder what this would be like with a little spice added:ban:

First batch initiated, 5 cups dry Thai jasmine rice added 2.5 oz sugar for some reason. It is now in an improvised fermentation chamber at around 80F. Sound good?
Want to start another batch tomorrow with RYR, How much should I use for the same size batch?
Thanks in advance and thanks again jac1010!

I've had trouble with batches that warm getting sour. Chinese friends told me the best temps for this stuff is @ 60 degrees, and said they don't even try to make it in the warm months because of this? As always, results vary.

Ditto. I find my cool batches take longer to produce but result in a better tasting product. The original recipe states to "stick someplace warm" but I have always done mine in the 65-75 range. I don't think you will have any issues with 80 but I certainly wouldn't go like 90 or above.

Back