Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he added the water after fermentation stopped which supposedly reinvigorated the yeast by lowering the ABV.

I've tried several large batches...

I guess I need to get another batch going while it's still winter! lol. I'll post some pics when I go to bottle it.
I've done lots of batches and experiments but the largest batch so far has been a 2 gallon glass cookie jar. My standard batch is 4 cups of rice in a 1 gallon glass cookie jar. But, I've never done a large batch (like a 5 gallon bucket) of rice wine. Maybe someday soon.

trbig;
Am I reading right that you cooked the rice and then added in an additional 1.5 gallons water to the rice ? does this not make it very weak . Everything I have read states to only cook the rice and nothing about adding in more water .
Is this because you are adding in the RYR ?

Yes, you are correct in that I cook the rice at a 5 cup water to 3 cups dry rice until all 10 lbs of rice is cooked and put in my 7 1/2 gal ferment bucket. Then I add a gallon and a half of cold filtered water BEFORE fermentation starts. But no, this does not make the wine weak. The rice wine is so sweet because the mold breaks down the starches into much more sugar than the yeast can eat. When the yeast attain the alcohol level that they stall at, it doesn't matter how much sugar is left.

So basically, the way most of us make the rice wine, there's still a lot of leftover sugar that could be converted to alcohol and is going to waste. The only way to get a better yield would be to use a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance, or dilute the mix down with water. You just have to find the right combination. Too much water and you get watered down, low alcohol, dry wine where every bit of the sugar has been processed by the yeast. Too little water, and you're left with too much residual sugars and you get a really sweet wine where the yeast has maxed out it's alc. tolerance. The magic number seems to be 1.3 times in weight of added water vs the innitial weight of dry rice you used. Water is 8 lbs a gallon. A gallon and a half would be 12 lbs water and I actually added 14 pounds water (1 3/4 gal) due to the 10 lbs sweet rice and 1 lb RYR. I think Golem did some experimenting and came up with this number as well.

The reason I tried this is because of my Chinese friends, who have several generations of rice wine makers in their family to ask them about, and this is how they've always done it. If you like your rice wine the sweetness it is and are happy with it, then by all means, carry on. If you'd like to try to get more wine from all that available sugar left over, then maybe give it a try.

I made a couple jars last night . One with red one with white . this time I just sprinkled the yeast on top . I have now added in some extra water . Not sure how much as I had not weighed the rice dry so I just poured some in . Stirred it into the top of the rice .
I noticed in chinese recipes they use a lot of water but it is not stated as to how much water is used to ferment as it is a amount also used for washing and steaming . They stir at 4 different times for temp control so it must be fairly watered down as the cooked rice is impossible to stir without adding in water.
I was told that my wine did not taste like it should . No mold ever got in it . Maybe it got some spores from the air in it . Also fermenting without adding water definitely makes low ABV and could possibly account for a bad flavor I suppose

. Also fermenting without adding water definitely makes low ABV and could possibly account for a bad flavor I suppose

Fermenting without water should have no impact on the alc level. There should still be a ton of unfermented sugar available, but the yeast should be maxed out on it's alc level it can tolerate. No idea why you only got a 5% alc level, but that is not a normal level.

If adding the proper amount of water or slightly less, there should be no change in the end alc. level of the wine, just the amount of sweetness left over.

But just to remind.. Every batch that I've added water to that wasn't cooler than normal room temp has had a sour taste. Like I said.. It was suggested 60 degrees F was what they shoot for.

Fermenting without water should have no impact on the alc level. There should still be a ton of unfermented sugar available, but the yeast should be maxed out on it's alc level it can tolerate. No idea why you only got a 5% alc level, but that is not a normal level.

If adding the proper amount of water or slightly less, there should be no change in the end alc. level of the wine, just the amount of sweetness left over.

But just to remind.. Every batch that I've added water to that wasn't cooler than normal room temp has had a sour taste. Like I said.. It was suggested 60 degrees F was what they shoot for.

True. I don't add water to my batches. Just cooked rice and yeast balls. Just like the original post from SonOfGrok.

Strong, and definitely sweeter, rice wine that I prefer. It reminds me of a sake variant which is fine since I think sake tastes like warm dirty dish water.

Todd: I'm looking to run a large batch. You using a 5 gallon brew bucket?

Todd: I'm looking to run a large batch. You using a 5 gallon brew bucket?

7 1/2. A 10 lb batch might not fit in a 5 gallon. Plus, the first 1 1/2 weeks or so, there's a pretty agrressive ferment going on and it might start puking out if the liquid gets up. Here's a pic of 10 lbs + 1 lb RYR in a 7 1/2 gal bucket. You decide...

7 1/2. A 10 lb batch might not fit in a 5 gallon. Plus, the first 1 1/2 weeks or so, there's a pretty agrressive ferment going on and it might start puking out if the liquid gets up. Here's a pic of 10 lbs + 1 lb RYR in a 7 1/2 gal bucket. You decide...

That's quite a lot. How many oz you get from that?

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

ive got a cupple bottles aging right now of my cider/champange/ryr /jazz rice/yeast ball mix i let some of this go in a very cold area in my house and it is dry and not tart or infected tasting at all. im sure that the cold had alot to do with that. but id say the chinese figured this out forever and a day ago or it could be that i put a yeast to it before i put anything else to it for about 1.5-2 hours before the yeast balls and ryr. hell it might be im drunk and just repeating what ive already said. but the all important but i never made a control to compare anything with.

I've made 29 batches, mostly 2-4 cups and use a steamer lined with cheesecloth and steam for 45- 1 hr. Seems I add about a bottle of water when adding yeast (85° or) because it won't break apart otherwise. Always sweet batches. I go for around 11 days.

I also have used the electric steamer and used 1.25:1. I have thrown out several because they were sour. A couple needed sugar or honey to make me happy. Point is ALL THE SOUR BATCHES have been using the cooker. Looking back and reading here, my mistake may have been the water ratio. The couple times it was perfect, I may have gotten it right.

Seems my steamed rice needs just the right amount of additional water after it has cooled, to break up and become workable. So far that's been about a bottle of water for a 4 cup batch.

4 cups rice is @ 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds of dry rice. A bottle of water is somewhere @ a pound, so you're still under the optimal 1.3 water to dry rice ratio and won't water it down.

I will say though.. with only letting it go 11 days, you're quitting when there's still a lot of converting and yeast eating going on.

11 days is enough to get alcohol but not much. The yeast and mold have only just begun. 20-30 days is what my normal ferment time is.

Although, I've left a batch for almost 3 months and it still tasted good.

I agree 11 days is short. I like the taste.

My favorite was a 5 cup steamed batch that went 39 days. Mixed 1tsp sugar and cornstarch with the yeast. No water added. Very sweet and a kick! Very little (comparatively) rice unused.

This is the only thing I found out of 4 different markets I went to today. 50g of dried yeast each box. 5$ ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389817125.489198.jpg

Question.
I got my 1 gallon jar, Yeast and rice. What is the most amount of ratio i can deliver to the gallon jar?
And i didn't get the balls i got dried yeast chunks. how much crushed up yeast should i use.

Question.
I got my 1 gallon jar, Yeast and rice. What is the most amount of ratio i can deliver to the gallon jar?
And i didn't get the balls i got dried yeast chunks. how much crushed up yeast should i use.

I really don't think you got what you need. Looks like you got just yeast. Just yeast doesn't have the mold required to convert the rice starch into sugar for the yeast to eat. Plus, the yeast balls have a strain of yeast that is capable of very high alcohol resistance.

Did you try to find someone in the store who speaks english and ask them? I looked all over two different stores and could find nothing.. until I asked. One store, they ended up being in a jug by the checkout counter. Just say "Rice wine". If all else fails, order online or order some ARL from Jak.

I really don't think you got what you need. Looks like you got just yeast. Just yeast doesn't have the mold required to convert the rice starch into sugar for the yeast to eat. Plus, the yeast balls have a strain of yeast that is capable of very high alcohol resistance.

Did you try to find someone in the store who speaks english and ask them? I looked all over two different stores and could find nothing.. until I asked. One store, they ended up being in a jug by the checkout counter. Just say "Rice wine". If all else fails, order online or order some ARL from Jak.

Yes I did ask every time. And this is what they showed me. :/

mjwj12;
the yeast is a little hard to find sometimes . It is in a small cellophane bag with usually 4 round balls like these . http://www.souschef.co.uk/chinese-yeast-ball-for-rice-wine.html Look on every isle . It is never where you think it should be .
What you have is bakers yeast.
Also you should be able to buy rice in plastic bags that the store has bagged up from 50 pound sacs . " sweet rice, glutenous rice, sticky rice etc"

So I just took a whiff of my ARL batch after about 2 weeks. The stuff hit me like a brick. Somewhere between jet fuel and nail polish remover. Is that an accurate description or should I be worried?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

So I just took a whiff of my ARL batch after about 2 weeks. The stuff hit me like a brick. Somewhere between jet fuel and nail polish remover. Is that an accurate description or should I be worried?

yea this is some ruff smelling stuff. usually sweeter then you would think from the smell. sanitize a spoon and test it if its not sour you should be good

Yes I did ask every time. And this is what they showed me. :/

As mentioned by someone else, I found them by the checkout counter in one local asian store myself. What you have isn't right. You need the mold that breaks down/saccharifies the starch in the rice combined with the high alcohol tolerance yeast in the yeast balls. They are also called "Jiu Qu". Good luck.

I am going to do a test on my dandelion wine to see how much alcohol it has . A glass of that gets me a good buzz and a glass of this does nothing . .
I tried adding some water and have it in the fridge at 59 right now . going to leave it for a month or two. Also added in more yeast .

Next time leave it in a dark place and forget about it for 21 days.

Search this thread for acetone and maybe nail polish or such and read the replies (probably for pages as this thread meandered all over the place) for some info on your current batch.

Meandered all over the place? So in your world, a normal conversation with several people in person in a group, does everyone stay on topic with everything said being exclusive of that singular subject? I think possibly in some busines meetings, but in the normal scheme of things.. of course not. But for some reason, it drives some people crazy that a conversation between lots of people online isn't absolutely structured with zero variance from a conversation's path. My thoughts are that these types of people who have ever used this icon :off: need to chill, have a drink, get laid, (Maybe all three?) or any other assortment of personal relaxation techniques. Welcome to the real world with real people chatting. It all comes back around on the path eventually. Sit back, enjoy the ride. Just my 2 cents.. :mug:

His post seemed more a statement of fact, to me, than any sort of commentary on the practices of others. Not entirely deserving of a rant, IMO. However, meander as you'd like.

His post seemed more a statement of fact, to me, than any sort of commentary on the practices of others. Not entirely deserving of a rant, IMO. However, meander as you'd like.

Let us meander a bit . I liked trbig's post as a statement to those who use the off topic thing when it really is not called for at the time . but you are right . I think the other post was simply a statement of where this thread wonders around at .
this is a very good thread . It always gets back on topic after an appropriate amount of time and the non rice wine comments add flavor and keep it from being too stiff .

Meh.. If I misunderstood his statement, then my apologies. It's hard to tell peoples' intentions from words... much like I find it hilarious that you'd consider that a rant? lol. You ain't seen nothin' yet! I honestly meant it in a good natured way and again, apologize if it came across as something else.

That being said, I have seen thread Nazis that seem to have their tighty-whiteys wound way too tight.

So back to the subject at hand.. This last round of rice wine with 10 lbs sweet rice fermented in the cool didn't make quite as much wine and there seemed to be a bit more intact rice kernels left, but I still ended up with @ 2 1/2 gallons of the best wine I've made yet. BUT.. that's 2 1/2 gallons of nice clear wine with all the solids cold-crashed out and the clear siphoned off the top. This is the first batch the wife has even liked.

I am hoping my rice changes flavor after adding the water/ yeast and putting at 60 degrees . If not then I will make a new batch and keep it at 60 from the start.
so far a can not stand the stuff but not giving up . cheap to try again . I do have hopes for the red and white mix and the plain red . Just got to get that ABV up there.

Got everything bottled. Together, the two batches yielded 35-40 oz. I have one bottle of jasmine, one bottle of sushi, and half a bottle of a jasmine/sushi mix. The bottle of jasmine is trying really hard to carbonate; even after I pasteurized them all at ~190° for 10 minutes.

Other than a little lick, I haven't tasted it. My dad tried a little of the jasmine/sushi mix before pasteurization and seemed very surprised by how good it was.

I noticed that wine made using Jasmine rice didn't separate in the fridge nearly as fast as sticky rice, like 2 days. Also lower yield.

Just made my 31st 4 cup batch. All at a constant temp of 84°F. Last was sweet and plenty alcohol at 14 days. Steamed and little water after cooling below 80° to mix yeast. I get liquid in 24hrs

Back