Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so pleased with the progress of this little tester batch. 'Made' on Oct 11th so a couple more days until it's ready. Looks super clean and healthy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414355520.149789.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm up to about post 550, reading the whole thread. I should probably wait til I get to the end to ask questions, but here goes:

Is RYR just a coloring/flavoring agent, or does it have active cultures? If active, can it be use instead of yeast balls, or is it always used in combination with YB's?

Did anyone ever try using cheap long grain rice? Or how about brown rice?

I'm up to about post 550, reading the whole thread. I should probably wait til I get to the end to ask questions, but here goes:

Is RYR just a coloring/flavoring agent, or does it have active cultures? If active, can it be use instead of yeast balls, or is it always used in combination with YB's?

Did anyone ever try using cheap long grain rice? Or how about brown rice?

I believe that the RYR does have some active stuff happening but if memory serves me they use it with the yeast balls. I know someone made wine with long grain white and it wasn't very good however at the low cost of this you could try your hand at whatever grain you feel worthy a test. When we get back in town I'll be starting my first batch with Thai jasmine rice. Please take photos and let us know how it goes.

Sonofgrok great thread. I actually made this a few times and then found this thread.

Have you made Makgolli? Similar results.

Also, same person from MDA?

I ferment pretty much everything.

I stopped at the largest local Asian grocer in town on my way home. I *think* it is mostly SE Asian and Chinese; very little Japanese anything.

I looked around the store for a while and the lady asked if I needed help finding anything. I said "yeast balls" (and she didn't know what I was talking about) "for making rice wine" and then she knew and took me right to them. I had looked right at them earlier and didn't see them. A little bag full of 1 inch white balls. The balls are in little cellophane packages of two. I don't remember what they cost; about $3 I think.

I asked her if she had ever made rice wine, and she said no, she uses them to make a rice dessert. She said 2 balls was enough to treat 5 pounds of "sweet rice", and it was ready to eat in a few days.

I bought a bag of glutenous rice and will mix it with cheap American long grain rice. Maybe a pound of glutenous rice, a pound of cheap white rice, and 2.5 pounds of water. Then mix 2 YB's with that and see what happens.

I also have half a bag of extremely long grain fragrant rice in the pantry; I think it's Basmati but it might be jasmine. Not going to start with that tho'.

So I tried the last runnings beer with yeast ball pitch today. Don't know what the OG was. Probably pretty low. It taste very similiar to the daddy batch pitched with notty. I'll keg both seperately on the same day this weekend and carb and do a taste test again. It tore through it in a couple days, even blowing over during primary phase. Notice the familiar yeast cake at the bottom.

So how did this experiment tun out, when the beer was cleared (i assume it cleared) and carbonated?

It would be interesting to do a no-mash AG asian-style beer (think Asahi) or any beer without mashing using yeast balls. Might be something for another thread.

If one was interested in trying this with some barley what would be the best way I have:
2 row
Unmalted seed barley (failed malting experiment)
flaked barley

Also how to prepare it?
I want to do a gallon batch with half rice and half barley
Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey Chef (or anyone else), whats your preferred method for harvesting?

I dumped my whole thing in a cheesecloth, strained it, and bottled with a ladle. Everything settled in bottles within a day or two. Not a big deal, tasted great, but I'd like to avoid the sediment if possible.

I'll scoop a lot of the solids off the top and reserve, then pour the liquid thru a fine strainer collecting as much as I can without squeezing. I pour any other liquid that collects from the solids and then start another bottle before starting to work the solids.
First collections separate quickly with little lees on the bottom, second bottle takes more time, stick it in the cupboard and forget it.
Hope this helps:D

Sure did. Sounds like there's going to be a bit of lees regardless. I might be able to avoid it in some bottles that if I try bigger batches (only cooked about 4 cups dry last time).
Thanks Chef!

If you squeeze out the lees you will have a greater yield, but it will be harder to separate in my experience.
I use paint strainer bags and pour out into one in a colander, let it sit and gradually strain out, then take "second runnings" squeezed out to make nigori-style. Time will allow the solids to settle out and leave you more clear rice wine to decant.

So I harvested about 600ml from my first batch. Smells pretty strong, not sure if in a good way or not yet. Currently cold crashing with the idea of trying tomorrow night.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414946058.758627.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Two 22 cup batches the one on the right is Thai pepper. About nine liters total for the 44 cups.

1414951440723.jpg

I have a cup of glutenous rice mixed with a cup of medium-grain white rice soaking, for my first ever batch. (the soaking water is white with starch dust and whatever else) When the hour is up, I will drain and rinse it, and cook it in Wife's rice cooker with 2 cups of water. Then I will mix the cooled rice with 1 yeast ball and see what happens.

I mixed the two rices because the glutenous rice can cook into goo by itself. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it sounds bad ;) The medium grain should make it easier to break it all apart and mix.

This should fit in a quart jar, right?

I have a cup of glutenous rice mixed with a cup of medium-grain white rice soaking, for my first ever batch. (the soaking water is white with starch dust and whatever else) When the hour is up, I will drain and rinse it, and cook it in Wife's rice cooker with 2 cups of water. Then I will mix the cooled rice with 1 yeast ball and see what happens.

I mixed the two rices because the glutenous rice can cook into goo by itself. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it sounds bad ;) The medium grain should make it easier to break it all apart and mix.

This should fit in a quart jar, right?[/QUOTE]

It will easily. 3.5-4 cups rice before cooking fits in a half gallon jar easily for me.

Thai pepper?
Care to elaborate, sound interesting, I can see this working;)

@ 1/2 lb of chopped thai peppers mixed in with the brew. That simple. The smell and taste is there, but no capsacin burn, very satisfying. @9% .

Thai pepper?
Care to elaborate, sound interesting, I can see this working;)

@ 1/2 lb of chopped thai peppers mixed in with the brew. That simple. The smell and taste is there, but no capsacin burn, very satisfying. @9% .

Right at the start, boss.

I couldnt find anything to tell me whether I was right or wrong, so I just did it. I made the mistake a few brews back of adding nutrient and energizer....never again. Distilled and mineral water only.

This should fit in a quart jar, right?

It will easily. 3.5-4 cups rice before cooking fits in a half gallon jar easily for me.

It didn't quite all fit in the jar; I had a couple of big spoonfuls left that I gave to the dog to shut him up. ;)

I filled the jar pretty tightly all the way to the top. If this stuff expands before it starts collapsing, I'm in trouble. Do I need to transfer it to a half-gallon jar, or will it be okay like this?

(This is *so* much stickier than long grain rice, even though I only used 1:1 plus whatever water the rice absorbed -- and it only expanded a little)

Yes, I used ten grams in my latest batch and harvested a batch with twenty which I haven't tasted yet, I personally think it gets too sweet with much more. YMMV

Well thanks ChefRex and BGBC for the help. Not sure about the 10g thing (no scale here) but for the batches I do I am going to guess at one cup.

Next three batches going in the closet hopefully tomorrow afternoon.
1. 22 cup w/ approx 10oz raisins
2. 22 cup w/ one cup red yeast rice
3. 11 cup (extremely experimental) w/ approx three ounces of Kraken soaked heavy American oak cubes.

Cross your fingers, and check in around 4 Dec. Bahahahha!!

I found a glass candy jar that's just the right size, and it even has a lid that will keep air out but allow gases to escape. I transferred the inoculated rice to it from the quart jar Sunday night. Packed kind of loosely, 2 inches of headspace.

Last night it still didn't look like anything was happening and I thought it isn't gonna work because my house is too cold. Today it's starting to liquefy. :ban:

My house *is* too cold, but it's working anyway -- just maybe a little slower.

(Don't open the lid for 3 weeks, dont open the lid for 3 weeks, dont open the lid for 3 weeks...)

Back