Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First batch retrospective. Harvested half at 3 weeks, half just now at 4 weeks. Definitely prefer the 4 week half. Didn't have the Lacto aroma that it had at 3 weeks. Mixed them together for now tho. Also think I prefer it cleared.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403363551.925356.jpg

First batch retrospective. Harvested half at 3 weeks, half just now at 4 weeks. Definitely prefer the 4 week half. Didn't have the Lacto aroma that it had at 3 weeks. Mixed them together for now tho. Also think I prefer it cleared.
View attachment 206932

What did the 4 week batch taste like? When you say lacto aroma, did it smell sour?

At 4 weeks it was drier, not as sweet and just tasted and smelled cleaner overall. At 3 weeks it had this aroma that reminds me of vomit a little bit, not sour really. I've gotten the same aroma in my gose before it was ready (intentional Lacto infection) and in an infected batch of cider, so I've been associating it with Lacto. I could be wrong tho. It seems to age out or get cleaned up eventually, so it may be some byproduct of initial fermentation.

At 4 weeks it was drier, not as sweet and just tasted and smelled cleaner overall. At 3 weeks it had this aroma that reminds me of vomit a little bit, not sour really. I've gotten the same aroma in my gose before it was ready (intentional Lacto infection) and in an infected batch of cider, so I've been associating it with Lacto. I could be wrong tho. It seems to age out or get cleaned up eventually, so it may be some byproduct of initial fermentation.

Even if it did, if you pasteurize it shouldn't be a problem. And even if you didn't and just chilled, it'd slow it to the point of it being pretty much a non-issue. No harm, no foul.

Agreed. But, no matter what you're making, something funky will happen when you leave cooked rice out at room temperature for 3 or 4 weeks.

This makes me want to try making a batch of white rice wine again. My first batch ever was white, but it was mostly an experiment. Since then ice been making red. Now that I'm more sure of what I'm doing, I think I'll try it again.

Is the RYR cooked and added, or added uncooked? I just did 2 lbs Jasmine, cooked it, added about 2 lbs water and 1 cup raw RYR.

RYR is UN-cooked, otherwise you lose what you were wanting from it.

Agreed. Prepare everything that you would for a regular batch and as you sprinkle in the dried yeast balls, crush and sprinkle in the Red Yeast Rice with it.

Isn't a cup a lot? I think the most I've used is 4 grams, maybe a couple of tablespoons, I do notice a flavor change.

It is a lot, but only based on what I've read of others' experiences. I have a batch going with 5.5 c (~2 lbs) jasmine and 1/2 cup of RYR. I assume that adding more RYR is somewhat similar to overpitching yeast (maybe?). Not the end of the world, but not really necessary as a smaller amount will still get the job done.

Chef, how did you end up with your preferred amount of RYR?

We'll see. I was wading through the thread looking for starting points, but didnt find any useful info about the RYR. Live and learn. Ill post back when complete and see how bad/good it is.

I think I read it somewhere in the thread but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time:D
Next time I pick up supplies I will have to try a larger dose of RYR and see what happens.

You know where to find me for more yeast balls. ;) Still waiting on a new supply of RYR.

When I add RYR, I crush it with my fingers. Just easier for me that way.

You know where to find me for more yeast balls. ;) Still waiting on a new supply of RYR.

When I add RYR, I crush it with my fingers. Just easier for me that way.

How much RYR do you use? No fresh supply yet? If I recall correctly you where going direct to the source, yes?

How much RYR do you use? No fresh supply yet? If I recall correctly you where going direct to the source, yes?

I use about a quarter of a cup of RYR for a 5 cup batch. I order direct from the manufacturer and it's been on back order for months. I'm considering just going to the market and buying it there.

From what I remember from my first white (no ryr) experimental batch, the wine had a different flavour. I've been using ryr ever since, but I'm thinking about doing a white batch again. I've noticed some strange lasting hangovers from the ryr batches, so that's why I'm going to try the white again to compare. I usually drink a 750ml bottle (26 oz) in a sitting, the same amount of sake I normally drink. With sake, the hangovers are typical to most alcohols for me, gone the next day. With the ryr batches the hangovers seem to stick around longer, like a hazy feeling. No stomach problems, just hazey and cloudy in the head.

Anyone else experience this?

Just read through this entire thread and signed up for this site. My first batch will be at the three week mark on sunday so i can't wait to harvest. Just started learning about mead making and rice wine. Can't wait to learn more.

Just read through this entire thread and signed up for this site. My first batch will be at the three week mark on sunday so i can't wait to harvest. Just started learning about mead making and rice wine. Can't wait to learn more.

Welcome to the site. Glad you decided to try this crazy rice wine thing. Let us know what you think of it!

Anybody have a quicker way to filter this stuff than thru coffee filters? Next time I'll at least pull off the cleared wine on top first rather than mix it all up again...

Cheesecloth. And if you want it clear, then cheesecloth and let it settle for a few days in the fridge. Coffee filters are too fine. Even the most coarse filter gets plugged immediately.

Cheesecloth. And if you want it clear, then cheesecloth and let it settle for a few days in the fridge. Coffee filters are too fine. Even the most coarse filter gets plugged immediately.

Yea I have a fine mesh bag, finer than cheesecloth that I used to harvest it. The coffee filter was working, slowly, but I got impatient and it ended up not totally clear. Better than it was at least.

Yea I have a fine mesh bag, finer than cheesecloth that I used to harvest it. The coffee filter was working, slowly, but I got impatient and it ended up not totally clear. Better than it was at least.

A few days in the fridge works wonders for dropping the solids off of this stuff. In fact, you can see progress in a few hours.

Anybody have a quicker way to filter this stuff than thru coffee filters? Next time I'll at least pull off the cleared wine on top first rather than mix it all up again...

Posted the same question 25-50-100 pages back... I use paint strainer bags to strain/filter. Cold also helps solids settle to decant off clear liquid if you wish.

So I harvested today on day 19. I am going to let this settle out and see if the cleared is better than the cloudy. I got a little under a gallon. I saved 500 ml of the cloudy version to compare and maybe flavor with some blueberrys.

Would bentonite help with clearing?

So I harvested today on day 19. I am going to let this settle out and see if the cleared is better than the cloudy. I got a little under a gallon. I saved 500 ml of the cloudy version to compare and maybe flavor with some blueberrys.

Would bentonite help with clearing?

Enjoy the contrast.
Be prepared for continued fermentation/CO2 production at 19 days. Typically 5-6 weeks before it stops for me.
Bentonite gets used in sake, so I would think it would work for rice wine as well. Can't help you on using it, though. I just use cold and time.

The air lock on mine stopped bubbling a couple days ago , but i will pasteurize when i bottle.

Would there be any ill effects to put the cooked rice in a paint strainer at the beginning and leave it in during fermentation? So it is easier at the end to strain.

The air lock on mine stopped bubbling a couple days ago , but i will pasteurize when i bottle.

Would there be any ill effects to put the cooked rice in a paint strainer at the beginning and leave it in during fermentation? So it is easier at the end to strain.

That's what I usually do. I just make sure its sterilized ahead of time and it works great.

I made a little tutorial, let me know if there is anything i can do better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I debated using our jelly roll pan for cooling. It looks just like yours. I'll feel good about using it for the next batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back