Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the jar im starsaning right now and the rice...picking up yeast balls from my stepmoms house friday and it begins!!!! Im excited
Mixture of forbidden rice and jasmine

1397775788680.jpg

Here is the jar im starsaning right now and the rice...picking up yeast balls from my stepmoms house friday and it begins!!!! Im excited
Mixture of forbidden rice and jasmine

Nice! Is that a mayonnaise jar? Please let us know how it goes.

Getting ready to make this, sounds awsome

Welcome to the addiction. :D

I thought some of you might be interested in this. I looked all over at different online Asian markets, brew stores etc for different types of yeast balls and the Angel Rice Leaven and happened to find 360videoshopping.com off someone's blog I think. Anyhow they sell the Angel Rice Leaven for the cheapest I've seen and offer free US shipping. It took a a couple weeks or so to show up but the tracking info said it was shipped from China.

Anyhow here is the link: http://www.360videoshopping.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=yeast they offer a 5 pack for $5.99, 10 pack for $9.59 and 20 pack for $14.99. I haven't brewed any with it yeast as I'm still about 1 week away from my 1st batch with the yeast balls, but I remember way back in the earlier parts of this thread people seemed to really like the results of their rice wine with this.

It's been a while! When I first glanced this thread it was tiny! I've decided this is the summer I make Saki. Wish me luck!! :)

I started this batch 2 weeks ago using saramc's basic recipe from the beginning of this thread (4 cups sweet Thai rice cooked and cooled, layered with 3 yeast balls, 1/2 c red yeast rice ground in a food processor). It was at 75 degrees for a week and is now at 68 degrees. In the first 3-4 days quite a bit of liquid appeared, but hasn't changed since. It's quite clear, and looks good- the only thing that concerns me is what has come up in earlier posts- white mold on top. I assume it's ok, but my paranoia won't go away! If some rice wine vets could take a look at the pics I've posted and throw out an opinion, let me know- thanks!

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

I started this batch 2 weeks ago using saramc's basic recipe from the beginning of this thread (4 cups sweet Thai rice cooked and cooled, layered with 3 yeast balls, 1/2 c red yeast rice ground in a food processor). It was at 75 degrees for a week and is now at 68 degrees. In the first 3-4 days quite a bit of liquid appeared, but hasn't changed since. It's quite clear, and looks good- the only thing that concerns me is what has come up in earlier posts- white mold on top. I assume it's ok, but my paranoia won't go away! If some rice wine vets could take a look at the pics I've posted and throw out an opinion, let me know- thanks!

Looks normal to me. You can stir it or shake it if you'd like but in my opinion, it looks perfect.

I live in the middle of nowhere ohio, and can't find these yeast balls anywhere! Anyone willing to send me a ball? I'd be forever grateful!

Looks proper

I'm going to be harvesting my first batch this wednesday but it smells very tart going to have to back sweeten it for sure I think. I pretty sure it's the yeast balls I've used I'm try out the small vietnamese yeast balls in my latest batch with thai glutinous rice to see if there is a difference might have to buy from another asian grocer but he only sells the yeast balls in two packs for the same price I get my eight packs. I like being frugal but I might have to see if it makes a difference!

I made this with sushi rice, after 4 weeks I just bottled mine, tried some. Tasty and sweet, would probably prefer it to be a little less sweet. I think someone mentioned using more water and that will make it so more of the sugars can convert, will probably try that next time.

I just started another batch of this (3rd or 4th) this weekend. Soaked 1/4 cup of RYR for several hours, got two 2# bags of Jasmine Rice and cooked them at approximately 1.5:1 water:rice and let it cool. Then I ground up another 1/4 cup of RYR along with the yeast balls and mixed it all in by hand. Put a dish towel over the top and put a rubber band around the top (I'm using a glass cookie jar with a wide mouth) and I've now put it in a dark room with a fleece blanket or two to help with the darkness. :)
I poured the red liquid from the soaking RYR in on top of the cooked rice.

I just started another batch of this (3rd or 4th) this weekend. Soaked 1/4 cup of RYR for several hours, got two 2# bags of Jasmine Rice and cooked them at approximately 1.5:1 water:rice and let it cool. Then I ground up another 1/4 cup of RYR along with the yeast balls and mixed it all in by hand. Put a dish towel over the top and put a rubber band around the top (I'm using a glass cookie jar with a wide mouth) and I've now put it in a dark room with a fleece blanket or two to help with the darkness. :)
I poured the red liquid from the soaking RYR in on top of the cooked rice.

Interesting procedure with the soaked RYR. Have you done it like this before? Have you compared this method with the original mentioned method for using RYR ?

well I couldn't wait till wednesday and harvested tonight added a blackberry syrup to and it still tasted like a white wine but after 4 glasses I am a bit pickled lol my wife doesn't like wine but she knocked back 2 glasses to see what the effects where.

well I couldn't wait till wednesday and harvested tonight added a blackberry syrup to and it still tasted like a white wine but after 4 glasses I am a bit pickled lol my wife doesn't like wine but she knocked back 2 glasses to see what the effects where.

What were the effects? :)

Startimg to see activity in the jar... bubbles etc. Cant wait to try this... might start another batch in a week

Interesting procedure with the soaked RYR. Have you done it like this before? Have you compared this method with the original mentioned method for using RYR ?

I've done this one time before. I also used ground RYR as well in the previous batch. Not sure which was the "solution" as I haven't tried them separately, but my thought was that soaking the RYR would help the spores of whatever makes the red rice red wake up. And grinding up the RYR would help spread the spores, was my thought on that. As I said, it worked fine, just don't know if it was the soaking or the grinding that worked. :)

I've done this one time before. I also used ground RYR as well in the previous batch. Not sure which was the "solution" as I haven't tried them separately, but my thought was that soaking the RYR would help the spores of whatever makes the red rice red wake up. And grinding up the RYR would help spread the spores, was my thought on that. As I said, it worked fine, just don't know if it was the soaking or the grinding that worked. :)

I see, it would an interesting comparison experiment

It's been a while since I read this thread but I just caught up with the last 10 pages or os. One of the most common questions seems to be where to get those damned balls if there's no local oriental foods store that carries them. Here's a company with some distributors listed:

http://www.ontoyeast.ca/

There's also a video of the making of the wine.

Apologies if someone posted this but I was not going to search through all 400 pages again. :)

Steamed 5 cups Calrose Saturday, cooled to Sunday (yesterday) and "jarred" it, it filled a gallon jar and a quart jar, both have a good amount of liquid in them already. Used two yeast balls, this is going hard and strong!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No. The lid is loose enough to gas off. Are looking for a carbonated wine?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No, I was just curious. I don't want any bottle bombs in my fridge! lol

I would pasteurize it once it is done, I had a batch in the fridge for 3 months and I got some pressure every time I opened it to "sample." I have noticed that the batches I take off of the solids usually do not have the same lingering fermentation.

Has anyone added cooked rice 48+ hours after fermentation has begun? My container could probalby handle another pound (uncooked) of rice. Just wondering... it's been 48 hours (approximately) since I started this. :)

Back