Making sure orange peel is sanitary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entrepreneur640

Reaction score
I am just about to transfer my Belgian Wit into the secondary with the zest of 2 different types of oranges. I know that most people let the zest sit in a solution of vodka in the fridge for about a week. I was wondering if Malibu rum would work as well. Does anyone know if this would be an issue? It is all that I have on hand and would never drink vodka if purchased. Plus I like the thought of coconut being in the Belgian.

a few things come to mind.

1- vodka is neutral, which is why it is choice for sanitizing, and the alcohol content is high enough to kill almost anything it could come in contact with. Even if the alcohol content is close to vodka, I can't say close would count.

2- malibu, and rum in general, has sugars and flavors that may inhibit the sanitization. It could also impart some flavors when reacting with the malt, yeast, and hops that are not desirable.

3- safest bet would be to soak them in sanitized water for a couple minutes. This will ensure that it is clean, and nothing on board will react negatively.

4- this is home brewing. if you think it will work, and you want to take the chance, you may stumble onto something really tasty. or it will be a disaster. it's all about experimenting man.

I don't drink vodka either but I keep a fifth on hand for brewing projects. Like the above post vodka is neutral and will not impart flavors. The alcohol will pull lots of the zest oils out so no matter which way you go its best to dump the entire concoction in. We're mot talking much, a shot or 2. The amount is so minute I doubt any flavors or issues would arise if you went with rum.

You could also boil the zest in a small amount of water, making a sort of tea, cool that, and add to brew.

Most raw fruit carries some kind of wild beasties on their exterior, and there is no shortage of pics of fermenters with partially submerged fruit exhibiting obvious mold.

I'd think if one gets a batch through primary without a pellicle, it would be wise to be a bit anal about post-fermentation additions, and take some preventive measures...

Cheers!

Back