Making Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a recipe that uses a cast iron skillet, basic sauce, peanut oil, white cheddar cheese slices, and onions. Its basically old forge style pizza if anyone is familar with that.

I have a recipe that uses a cast iron skillet, basic sauce, peanut oil, white cheddar cheese slices, and onions. Its basically old forge style pizza if anyone is familar with that.

what was that?! was that piss? did you just throw piss out the window!?

What's the secret for rolling/stretching the dough? I can never get it thin enough without making holes.

the secret is absolutely the flour. you have to use quality flour. high gluten flour works. i don't really know what i use, it's "Premium white flour" from the amish market, it's the best flour ive ever used, even better than king author's pizza flour. then you just press it down, stretch it with your hands on a flat surface a little, then pick it up and put your fists under it and use them to stretch it from the outsides as you rotate it with your fists and let it drape between your arms as you continually stretch and rotate. If you're awesome, you can toss it, but i'm not awesome enough to do that with any effectiveness.

Now that the weather in the north is getting into grilling season...I like to throw a rolled out pizza dough on a hot grill until it puffs up and is cooked without burning. Then put toppings and cheese on and finish the rest in the oven.

Makes for a nice crispy crust and more of a brick oven flavor.

There ya go!!!

IMAG0479.jpg

dude, how the hell did u do that?

well, there is yeast involved. just not commercial baker's yeast.

you can make a crust with no yeast if u use baking powder. baking powder rises very nicely. the crust won't have the same structure, so it will be a diff kind of crust, but it's fine

I gotta get in on the pizza shots.

Dinner from tonight:

3568-photo-9.jpg

All home-made, thin cracker crust with mozz, smoked gouda & cheddar; mushrooms, green peppers, and sausage.

you can make a crust with no yeast if u use baking powder. baking powder rises very nicely. the crust won't have the same structure, so it will be a diff kind of crust, but it's fine

sure you could, but then you wouldn't get any of the awesomeness of fermentation in the flavor of the crust.

No one uses baking powder for pizza if they have a clue.

the secret is absolutely the flour. you have to use quality flour. high gluten flour works. i don't really know what i use, it's "Premium white flour" from the amish market, it's the best flour ive ever used, even better than king author's pizza flour. then you just press it down, stretch it with your hands on a flat surface a little, then pick it up and put your fists under it and use them to stretch it from the outsides as you rotate it with your fists and let it drape between your arms as you continually stretch and rotate. If you're awesome, you can toss it, but i'm not awesome enough to do that with any effectiveness.

The secret is developing gluten, letting the dough rest and ferment for a suitable amount of time and letting the dough come up to room temp before you touch it. I take a dough ball out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for atleast an hour, 2 is even better. I get it paper thin.

St Louis style pizza is based entirely on using baking powder in the dough....and it is incredible! Do some research on that style of pizza, it's worth trying!

We do more flatbread things than traditional pizza. I've found the key for those is a balance of sweet, savory, and funky. We use a baking stone which really helps the crust too.

For instance we've done a prosciutto, fig, goat cheese and arugula with a balsalmic reduction. Another hit was sausage, sage, apple, and brie.

dsc_0489.jpg

Nice! Argentine pizza is some of the best I've ever had! If you haven't been, you should go and eat you're way around Buenos Aires. Eat mostly beef, but don't forget about the pizza.

Actually, I shouldn't have posted that. Now I'm grinding chick peas to make faina...
Amazing the things you do when nostalgia gets ahold of you...:eek:

I made pizza for the first time in a long time last night largely due to following this thread. Made the dough and the sauce. Used all purpose flour and punched it down and let rise three times. Came out with pretty decent texture but not a whole lot of flavor. I will use higher quality flour next time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Believe me, most commercial pizza is made with the cheapest flour available. The secret to the pizza flavor is in the amount of yeast and salt you use.

Hmmm I weighed out 7 grams of yeast and used about a teaspoon of salt for ~2.5 cups of flour. More salt?

I found myself making a special trip to the store today to get flour and yeast for a no-knead bread I want to try this weekend - which this thread also inspired (oddly enough). I'm hoping to try my hand at a homemade pizza dough next week! I've been doing some reading, and boy oh boy have I been doing a lot of things wrong regarding baking the pizzas!

I can't advise you on the salt, you need to find out how you like it. I like my food on the salty side, so I normally use about 2.5-3 tablespoons for 1kg (2.2 Lbs) of flour. For that same amount of flour I use 50-60g of compressed yeast, or 3-4 packs of dry yeast.
To give you a comparison, when I was a teenager I worked at a bakery. We used 125g of compressed yeast for 70 kg of flour to make bread, but to make pizza we used 500g of yeast for 10kg of flour.

Sorry, this reply was for JonK331 question...

I can't advise you on the salt, you need to find out how you like it. I like my food on the salty side, so I normally use about 2.5-3 tablespoons for 1kg (2.2 Lbs) of flour. For that same amount of flour I use 50-60g of compressed yeast, or 3-4 packs of dry yeast.
To give you a comparison, when I was a teenager I worked at a bakery. We used 125g of compressed yeast for 70 kg of flour to make bread, but to make pizza we used 500g of yeast for 10kg of flour.

Sorry, this reply was for JonK331 question...

Okay I'll up the yeast and the salt next time. I bought a pound of the Red Star Active yeast from Costco so I certainly have plenty. Thanks!

The secret is developing gluten, letting the dough rest and ferment for a suitable amount of time and letting the dough come up to room temp before you touch it. I take a dough ball out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for atleast an hour, 2 is even better. I get it paper thin.

I think so too. A 24 or even a 48 hour ferment in the fridge does wonders for flavour in the crust.

BTW, I use a portion of Bob's red mill gluten flour with my AP flour.

Yup. That's free commerce for ya...:p

I wish I could find compressed yeast here. It's so much better for pizza than dry yeast it's not even funny...

No, what page is it on? Link?

Hmm! Well, oddly enough it's not there. Not sure what happened.

Anyway, I was just going to ask if you'd had Me-N-Ed's pizza there in Fremont. We used to have the chain in Idaho back in the 80's and it was VERY good. Well, at least it was until they started making sub-par pizzas towards the end of their existence here, then the chain retreated from Idaho.

Still have to wonder if it's the same. I loved the crust and the sauce on those back in the day.

Hmm! Well, oddly enough it's not there. Not sure what happened.

Anyway, I was just going to ask if you'd had Me-N-Ed's pizza there in Fremont. We used to have the chain in Idaho back in the 80's and it was VERY good. Well, at least it was until they started making sub-par pizzas towards the end of their existence here, then the chain retreated from Idaho.

Still have to wonder if it's the same. I loved the crust and the sauce on those back in the day.

I haven't yet. I looked it up on Yelp though and it gets pretty good reviews. We'll have to try it. We just moved to Fremont so we are still looking for all the spots. There's another place here as well called Bronco Billy's Pizza Palace which is quite good.

It is definitely possible. Just don't expect it to taste or feel like pizza.
And, more important, make sure there's no Italians nearby when you try it...:D:D

exactly, thank you. And since we like to bend the rules of everything from beer to pizza, u can pretty much make a pizza on anything, put anything on it, it apparently doesn't matter anymore. Roti is made using only water, flour, and baking powder. If you made a large enough roti, you could make it into a pizza. even the regular size for that matter. It would be extremely thin and you'd want to make it crisp and not weigh it down with toppings......great, now i kinda feel like i have to do it.

When I was a kid, one day, my grandparents (mother side) came visit. My grandmother was Calabrian descendant, and my grandfather was Italian born and raised, from the North.
My mom decide to get creative in the Kitchen. She had found a recipe for a pizza-like meal, made with a potato based dough. So she brought the food to the table, and made the mistake to say out loud those were "potato pizzas". My grandpa just looked at her, without saying a word.
She went back to the kitchen and made him a steak.:D

When I was a kid, one day, my grandparents (mother side) came visit. My grandmother was Calabrian descendant, and my grandfather was Italian born and raised, from the North.
My mom decide to get creative in the Kitchen. She had found a recipe for a pizza-like meal, made with a potato based dough. So she brought the food to the table, and made the mistake to say out loud those were "potato pizzas". My grandpa just looked at her, without saying a word.
She went back to the kitchen and made him a steak.:D

lol....she must have been away from the calabria region for too long..........potato pizza doesn't sound very italian

Back