Making Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came out nice tonight. The stone got a little too hot so the bottom of the crust got a little more cooked than I would've liked, but still really good. My first try with the overnight slow rise in the fridge...

Pizza_2011_04_17.jpg

yeah, that looks pretty good. i might try raising the stone up a level. Gas stove?
The cheese is perfect tho..

yeah, that looks pretty good. i might try raising the stone up a level. Gas stove?
The cheese is perfect tho..

Electric stove; stone on the bottom (first time doing that, usually put it on the lowest level).

I saw it was getting a little hot, but wanted the cheese to finish...

Tasted great. Better than Little Ceasar's. haha.

AZ, I was pounding on your door for like 30 minutes! I could smell the pizza cooking too, all I heard was a whispered voice say "Sssshhh dont answer the door"

It would seem you didn't want to share your pizza with me!!

i'll add some of my thoughts.. i've been making pizza pretty consistently for about 8 months (4 pies a week or so). I like to make 4 dough balls at once and just let them chill in the fridge until i'm ready to use them. then you can pretty much have pizza whenever the hell you want. i usually stick to flour, water, instant yeast, and salt. occasionally i'll put in like 1-2% oil just to switch things up, but not usually.

for (4) 12" dough balls that weigh ~ 260 g each:

625 g flour (usually I use King Arthur bread flour, but any kind will ultimately work)
387 g water
1.6 g instant yeast
12.5 g salt (kosher or sea salt)

I dissolve the salt into the water, mix the yeast and flour together and after turning on the paddle on the kitchenaid, i slowly pour the water/salt mixture into the flour/yeast. i let the paddle gather everything together and switch to the dough hook. knead on lowish speed for about 7 minutes, remove from the bowl and divide into 4 even 256 g dough balls. do a little shaping to "skin" them, spray with oil and plop into a plastic container to rise on the countertop for about 1-2 hrs, then into the fridge for the long haul. you can start to use them the next day, but i find the flavor development in the doughs only gets better until about day 5 or 6, then they start to get overfermented, but i've used them up to 9 days later and still had a nice pie.

for sauce, i go to the italian market and, if they have them, get the 6-in-1 brand crushed tomatoes in puree. i ain't ****ting you, this will make the best pizza sauce you will find. all i do is open the 28oz can, dump in about 1/4 tsp each of garlic and onion powder, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and maybe 1/2 tsp of oregano. mix it up and there you have it, no simmering, none of that business. it cooks on the pizza, doesn't get any easier or tastier IMHO. if they are out of 6-in-1 i'll get paradiso or a different good brand. i try to stay away from hunts and whatnot, but those can be used in a pinch also.

heat the oven to 550 for 45-1hr before baking. i set my stone directly on the floor of the oven (be careful with the cheapo thin stones though if you heat high, they are prone to cracking). a decent stone will be your friend if you want to make great pizza.

edit: forgot to mention that i usually cook it on the stone for about ~5 minutes, then move it up to the top rack with the broiler on to get the top browned nicely. it will burn pretty quick if left on the bottom/stone too long, so i almost always do the stone first, then the broiler to finish it off. just keep an eye on it and get it off the stone when you are happy with how the bottom looks.

here's a few snapshots:

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

for sauce, i go to the italian market and, if they have them, get the 6-in-1 brand crushed tomatoes in puree. i ain't ****ting you, this will make the best pizza sauce you will find.

I've looked and never found the 6-in-1. I use Hunt's. Guess I need to find an italian market.

Your pizza looks great. I'm making thick-crust like that this weekend. Thanks for the great post.

Green olives!!! I've got to try that!

Thanks a ton for sharing your crust recipe, Android. Dying to give it a shot.

Green olives!!! I've got to try that!

Thanks a ton for sharing your crust recipe, Android. Dying to give it a shot.

happy to do it... i'm ALMOST as passionate about pizza as I am about beer. ;)

the site that has been mentioned a few times, pizzamaking.com has a wealth of information too if you guys are hungry for more. lots of good experiment threads, different dough formulations, etc.

green olives are, hands down, my favorite pizza topping.

Do you guys make and use homemade sauce? Every year, my mom takes my grandpa's crop of tomatoes and makes a few gallons of the BEST sauce I've ever had. I don't think it's just me growing up with it either, I've had friends tell me it's amazing also. Goes awesome on pizza. I've never found a commercial sauce that has a similiar flavor.

So, if you get a chance, try some homemade or fresh sauce. It's quite delicious!

Do you guys make and use homemade sauce? Every year, my mom takes my grandpa's crop of tomatoes and makes a few gallons of the BEST sauce I've ever had. I don't think it's just me growing up with it either, I've had friends tell me it's amazing also. Goes awesome on pizza. I've never found a commercial sauce that has a similiar flavor.

So, if you get a chance, try some homemade or fresh sauce. It's quite delicious!

This one is very, very good. I've tried several sauce recipes and this is the best one yet. I'd cut back or eliminate the parm cheese (it's quite noticeable at the amount listed. Also, remove the garlic if you are sensative to indigestion from that. Make sure to include the fennel!

Ultimate Pizza Sauce

I saw this thread this morning and oh did it make me hungry. This evening I made two of my favorite pizza's - a buffalo chicken pizza and "sfiha" - a type of Middle Eastern open meat pie made with lamb and spices. The homemade dough turned out fantastic. :D

100_3075.jpg

100_3083.jpg

That spfiha looks great. I used to get that as a kid from some little bakery in Central Falls, RI, I've never seen it anywhere else. Care to share the recipe? It sure foes bring back some memories!

I've looked and never found the 6-in-1. I use Hunt's. Guess I need to find an italian market.

Your pizza looks great. I'm making thick-crust like that this weekend. Thanks for the great post.

For a pretty decent, inexpensive sauce, see if they have Don Pepino's in the ethnic food aisle or even by the spaghetti sauce. I've found it's pretty decent, tastes better than hunts or Constantine.

I hand stretch my dough and don't use a roller pin to form.
Oh boy, I guess I better start up the Kitchen Aid and make me some dough for tomorrow.

....the only way to really make a pizza......well not really, but it just feels more authentic, i won't use a rolling pin, i don't even have one. I would use one if i was using terrible flour that doesn't stretch by hand without ripping

For a pretty decent, inexpensive sauce, see if they have Don Pepino's in the ethnic food aisle or even by the spaghetti sauce. I've found it's pretty decent, tastes better than hunts or Constantine.

I've been happy with the trader joe's sauce too.

nevermind......i cant figure out how to attach a pic to this post......i clicked on the icon and pasted the url from my gallery, no worky

What's the secret for rolling/stretching the dough? I can never get it thin enough without making holes.

Use high-gluten flour. King Arthur unbleached bread flour is a good choice and available all around me. I think the general purpose flour is not nearly as good if you want to stretch it thin.

New dough must be left overnight in a sealed container, or in a bowl with a wet rag over it.

I use the mother of all rolling pins, on a granite surface. I get it ridiculously thin.

passedpawn said:
Use high-gluten flour. King Arthur unbleached bread flour is a good choice and available all around me. I think the general purpose flour is not nearly as good if you want to stretch it thin.

New dough must be left overnight in a sealed container, or in a bowl with a wet rag over it.

I use the mother of all rolling pins, on a granite surface. I get it ridiculously thin.

Got a good thin crust dough recipe? I'm very new to pizza making.

That sounds good. I think I'm not letting it rest long enough and my flour probably sucks. I'll give both a shot.

I made a pizza for lunch today, (I work from home).
Its a sourdough pizza, no yeast involved. I was able to get it nice and thin with a cracker crunch.
DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2693.jpg

DSCF2694.jpg

DSCF2695.jpg

I'm a pizza crust newb. No yeast?!

Care to share the recipe and cooking method? That looks yummy!

I'm a pizza crust newb. No yeast?!

Care to share the recipe and cooking method? That looks yummy!

1 cup sourdough starter
2.5 C bread flour
1t Sugar
1.5T olive oil
couple pinches of salt
Let it cycle through the dough setting on the bread maker and put in the fridge overnight.
Cook on a pizza stone at 550 deg for 5-6 minutes.
The recipe above makes 3 crusts about the size of the one shown.

I've switched from KA to Occident bread flour. It's sold around me in Amish bulk food stores at a fraction of the price of KA.

http://www.conagramills.com/our_products/bakery_flours.jsp

A slow rise, proper kneading, good flour and a little practice really upped my pizza game.

Like already mentioned, spend some time on pizzamaking.com. They're as geeky about pizza as we are about beer. :mug:

Latest posts

Back