Making a Ginger Saison and would like your help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmkeeper

Reaction score
I had some help with this recipe last year. I wanted to give it a honey flavor since I'm a beekeeper and I have extra honey. I was told to add honey about 12 minutes before the end of boil. I was also told to use a honey flavored hop called Gambrinus Canadian Honey Malt to the recipe. I think doing both these things will make it just right! What I don't know is where I should substitute the honey malt (or just add it??) in this one gallon recipe?

1.75 lbs Belgium Pilsner Malt
8oz Munich Malt
4oz Caramel Wheat Malt
0.40 oz Hallertauer Hops at 60 minutes
4oz. Clear Candi Sugar at 15 minutes
1oz. Fresh Ginger Root at 12 minutes
0.20 oz. Styrian Goldings Hops at 5 minutes
Belgian Saison 1 yeast (WLP565)

Thanks!
Art

A few things....
Honey malt is a grain, not a hop (I'm assuming that was a typo).
Is the clear candi syrup in the recipe actually honey?
I wouldn't boil the honey. It loses a lot of it's character. If you're worried about contamination, pasteurise it in some hot water. Personally, I'd just use enough hot water to dissolve it then add it straight in to the fermenter.
I can't help with the honey malt - I've never used it because I've never been able to buy it!

I assume that you will be bottling a 1 gal batch. I would suggest using honey as a priming sugar. I have done that with several beers, and it retains some of the honey notes (because.... where are they gonna go?).

As for adding the honey malt, people will tell you that a little goes a long way. I would maybe suggest 2 oz for a 1 gal batch.

I recently made a different recipe of ginger saison using 1/2 ounce of chopped fresh ginger in a 5 gallon batch. Boiled for 12 minutes.

Next time I'd use much less. It's drinkable, but I won't serve it to my friends. Way too much ginger.

This might not apply to your recipe, just handing it out there...

A few things....
Honey malt is a grain, not a hop (I'm assuming that was a typo).
Is the clear candi syrup in the recipe actually honey?
I wouldn't boil the honey. It loses a lot of it's character. If you're worried about contamination, pasteurise it in some hot water. Personally, I'd just use enough hot water to dissolve it then add it straight in to the fermenter.
I can't help with the honey malt - I've never used it because I've never been able to buy it!

That Candi syrup is just a sugar based syrup, not honey. Here's what was suggested I add:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/gambrinus-malting-corporation-honey-malt

I think I'll just add it to the recipe and dissolve some honey in the water like you say.
Thanks!
Art

I assume that you will be bottling a 1 gal batch. I would suggest using honey as a priming sugar. I have done that with several beers, and it retains some of the honey notes (because.... where are they gonna go?).

As for adding the honey malt, people will tell you that a little goes a long way. I would maybe suggest 2 oz for a 1 gal batch.
Yup,
I'ts a gallon recipe. This recipe only ask for 4 oz of candi syrup as the sugar. I guess I could add it after the yeast so it won't turn into too much alcohol?

I recently made a different recipe of ginger saison using 1/2 ounce of chopped fresh ginger in a 5 gallon batch. Boiled for 12 minutes.

Next time I'd use much less. It's drinkable, but I won't serve it to my friends. Way too much ginger.

This might not apply to your recipe, just handing it out there...
Humm!
I used 1oz in this gallon recipe last year and the wife said she couldn't taste it at all! Mine was chopped up from the root?

Humm!
I used 1oz in this gallon recipe last year and the wife said she couldn't taste it at all! Mine was chopped up from the root?

I've used 1.5 oz of freshly grated ginger in a 2.75 gal batch before (so about 0.5 oz/gal). The ginger aroma and flavor is definitely present. I'd say it is perfect for those that like ginger, and perhaps a bit too strong for those that prefer it to be more of a background note. My process was shaving off the skin, and using a fine cheese grater to shave up all the fresh root...ended up making more of a puree. This was added at 10 min left in the boil. If I were to have used 2.75 oz it definitely would have been too strong.

Yup,
I'ts a gallon recipe. This recipe only ask for 4 oz of candi syrup as the sugar. I guess I could add it after the yeast so it won't turn into too much alcohol?

Candi syrup is fermentable sugar whenever you add it the yeast will consume it. (Unless you have a very high ABV and have poisoned them)

(Unless you have a very high ABV and have poisoned them)[/QUOTE said:
It's a 7.2% ABV, 45 IBU's. I think they will survive. (snicker!) I am an amateur. Heck, the first beer I made had so much alcohol, it evaporated before they got to drink it!

[QUOTE="Kenmoron, post: 8664479, member: 262209" My process was shaving off the skin, and using a fine cheese grater to shave up all the fresh root...ended up making more of a puree.[/QUOTE]

I chopped mine, didn't grate it. That may be why the flavor didn't come through. I'm going to use a cheese grater this time.
Thanks
Art

Back