Making a cider with base malt for sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT.

I've been wanting to make a cider for a while and today an idea struck me. Iøve been reading up on making cider with ale yeast (the only yeast I've currently got in stock is S-04 and US-05) , and a common problem seemed to be that when using an ale yeast such as S-04 and US-05, the cider tends to finish very dry.

My idea is to use pale base malt for some extra sugar instead of using artificial sweetener or cold crashing to stop further fermentation. So.. What I'm thinking is, what if I mash the base malt (I'm not using extract) high, maybe around 70 or 72 celcius (158F - 162F) to create more non-fermentable sugars? This should leave me with a less dry cider because of a higher final gravity, right??

Thanks for reading and taking time to reply.

Regards,

Brew2Be.

Sounds like a graff, have you checked out Brandon O's recipe? It's the same basic idea, keep some of the sweetness by adding unfermentable sugars to your cider.

Why not give it a go & let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: Crud, evsol beat me to it.

Sounds like a graff, have you checked out Brandon O's recipe? It's the same basic idea, keep some of the sweetness by adding unfermentable sugars to your cider.

Why not give it a go & let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: Crud, evsol beat me to it.

Thanks for the replies. I have read about Graff on here before, but never connected the dots :smack:! Will probably try a modified version of Brandon's.

Thanks again!

Back