Low Oxygen Brewing Podcast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started listening and tuned into the podcast yesterday. Really appreciate your knowledge. You've boosted my brewing over the last year with your website. All I brew are German beers so this is the best resource at my disposal. Interested to see where this podcast goes.

I started listening and tuned into the podcast yesterday. Really appreciate your knowledge. You've boosted my brewing over the last year with your website. All I brew are German beers so this is the best resource at my disposal. Interested to see where this podcast goes.

Thanks!

I jumped in at 1751, "wort wants to be held and caressed".

Cant wait to listen, your passion certainly comes through. I appreciate the passion you put in your work. Ill give a listen, I feel confident that there is much to learn in your words.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing these podcasts! Definitely looking at implementing some of these techniques in my next brews.

I do have a question though in regards to a lauter cap in the HLT. The herms coil gets in the way because after dough in, the water line is below the herms coil.

Can you skip the lauter cap in the HLT if you've treated with k-meta or NaMeta and you've employed a lauter cap in the boil kettle or is there a work around im not seeing to be able to use a lauter cap in the HLT?

Sorry in advance for the noob questions. Still working on wrapping my head around a lot of it.

Full volume mash (no sparge)?
Use more water in your HLT?
Full volume mash - no sparge - is on my list to investigate.

I cannot use more water in my HLT. It's 20 gallons and I always start with 20 gallons. By the time I pull my strike volume, the herms coil is already exposed

If one has a Boil Kettle cap, why not heat the strike water therein?

Cheers!
I can't run both elements simultaneously but could heat the 20 gallons in the HLT first and switch over to my bk, heat the strike water which wouldn't take long, and then go back to the HLT to maintain...

That what you're getting at?

Do you mean heat the strike water in the boil kettle then add the grain? If this is what you mean, it would be easier but then you would not able to underlet the grain which help keep O2 intrusion down.

What I do is bring the strike water to a boil for 5 minutes in a boil kettle, put in a SS immersion chiller, then hook up a March pump between the BV and the mash tun after the strike water has been chilled to mash in temperature. By going from the outlet valve of the BV to the outlet (inlet) of the mash tun (which already has the grist in it) I am under letting the strike water into the mash, at mash-in temperature.

No splashing, no oxygen ingress. Just some gentle stirring to eliminate dough balls. Works great.

Brooo Brother

Do you mean heat the strike water in the boil kettle then add the grain? [...]

No, I mean heat the strike volume separately in the boil kettle which apparently has its own cap as stated above. Still underlet in the MLT.

This is exactly what I do (though sans any "cap", just the kettle lid). Strike volume goes in the BK (plus that needed to fill its pump and lines), HLT gets filled high enough to cover the hex plus whatever extra needed by the recipe. Both halves get their respective salts and acids, then at strike time the entire BK volume is used to underlet the mash and get things going...

Cheers!

[edit] The big reasons for the above: I can use two bg14s to raise ~20-something gallons of water up to speed instead of just the HLT burner alone; and I don't end up with a HLT filled with strike temperature water - which is usually in the mid-160s°F and thus requires cooling back down to recirc bath temperature in the mid-150s°F. So I save time and energy...

Last edited:
Back