I Dream of Jenny - Cream ale (Genessee Cream Ale clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recall now where I saw it, but Genny is promoting a Ruby Red Kolsch. Somehow red and Kolsch don't seem to fit for me. But I would try a dozen.
I love the Ruby Red Kolsch. Delicious and refreshing when it's hot out.
Unfortunately it's not as widely distributed as their flagship beers, and I can't find it in Connecticut. I'll usually pick up a couple of 12 packs when I'm up in central NY visiting family.

1681730827530.png

I love the Ruby Red Kolsch. Delicious and refreshing when it's hot out.
Unfortunately it's not as widely distributed as their flagship beers, and I can't find it in Connecticut. I'll usually pick up a couple of 12 packs when I'm up in central NY visiting family.

View attachment 817892
DItto in Western MA; I have to go to NY or Worcester to find it (according to their hopefully up to date online beer finder)

It's like they purposefully kept it >50 miles away from me
1681737252370.png

I forgot about this thread until this evening when I came across it while "unwatching" a bunch of older threads. I actually brewed this, or at least my take on this, back in early April.

40% Weyermann Pilsner
40% Rahr 2-Row
20% Flaked Wheat Corn

Magnum 12.7 ibu's @ 60 mins.
Willamette 2.2 ibu's @ 15 mins.

2 pks. Cellar Science German Lager Yeast (rehydrated)

Missed Nailed OG a bit, only got predicted by Beersmith at 1.049. I fermented between 52° - 54° until it reached 1.020 and then let it free rise to room temperature where it sat for 8 days, then cold crashed and kegged it. FG was 1.007 (BS had predicted 1.010). I fined in the keg with gelatin. It's now been kegged going on 4 weeks, and the couple glasses I've sampled have tasted good though not much like GCA. It has a definite lager taste, and is very light in color that belies the 5.5% abv, which can sneak up on you. Here's my sample from earlier today.

IMG_4029.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread until this evening when I came across it while "unwatching" a bunch of older threads. I actually brewed this, or at least my take on this, back in early April.

40% Weyermann Pilsner
40% Rahr 2-Row
20% Flaked Wheat

Missed OG a bit, only got 1.049. I fermented between 52° - 54° until it reached 1.020 and then let it free rise to room temperature where it sat for 8 days, then cold crashed and kegged it. FG was 1.007 (BS had estimated 1.010). I fined in the keg with gelatin. It's now been kegged going on 4 weeks, and the couple glasses I've sampled have tasted good though not much like GCA. It has a definite lager taste, and is very light in color that belies the 5.5% abv, which can sneak up on you. Here's my sample from earlier today.

View attachment 848964
That surely looks like a crowd pleaser to me!

40% Weyermann Pilsner
40% Rahr 2-Row
20% Flaked Wheat

Missed OG a bit, only got 1.049. I fermented between 52° - 54° until it reached 1.020 and then let it free rise to room temperature where it sat for 8 days, then cold crashed and kegged it. FG was 1.007 (BS had estimated 1.010). I fined in the keg with gelatin. It's now been kegged going on 4 weeks, and the couple glasses I've sampled have tasted good though not much like GCA. It has a definite lager taste, and is very light in color that belies the 5.5% abv, which can sneak up on you. Here's my sample from earlier today.

View attachment 848964
You know it's a clear beer when you can see the color of the grass through it.

40% Weyermann Pilsner
40% Rahr 2-Row
20% Flaked Wheat Corn

Missed Nailed OG a bit, only got predicted by Beersmith at 1.049. I fermented between 52° - 54° until it reached 1.020 and then let it free rise to room temperature where it sat for 8 days, then cold crashed and kegged it. FG was 1.007 (BS had predicted 1.010). I fined in the keg with gelatin. It's now been kegged going on 4 weeks, and the couple glasses I've sampled have tasted good though not much like GCA. It has a definite lager taste, and is very light in color that belies the 5.5% abv, which can sneak up on you. Here's my sample from earlier today.

View attachment 848964
*Edited above post with corrections. I was drinking. ;)

Third time I did this with 34/70 as a lager at 55 degrees. No longer a cream ALE but really dang tasty
Yeah you made it closer to a lager. But that’s the thing with cream ales - they are a hybrid style. What differentiates a cream ale from a blonde ale? Much has been written about using 34/70 at ale temps - and I think that would be a perfect choice for this. You could even go 65 degrees next time if you get to where your temp controlled chamber is not available or something. I’ve even heard of people doing some cream ales half batch as a lager, and a half batch as an ale and then combining them.

Back