Looking to get started in Bama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The American Cream Ale I racked into secondary today. I brewed it last Thursday and hadn't seen any airlock activity in a couple of days. The Red Ale I brewed today and within maybe 3 hours it was bubbling pretty good.

Had you checked the gravity on the cream ale before your racked? Btw if you weren't dry hopping or long term aging there's no real need to secondary. It won't accomplish anything other than maybe risking oxidizing your beer. And then it will all have been for nothing.

I didn't check it. I'm afraid maybe I did get too much air in. For some reason the auto siphon didn't want to work correctly.

So if I over oxidized my beer is there any way to verify it. If I have do I just pour it out and count it as a lesson learned or is there anything I can do after the fact? Thursday will be the 21st day since brewing so if it's salvageable I guess I need to bottle soon.

Depends on the beer style but some you can leave for a while. Some you Should leave. Something along the line of an imperial IPA and some hefewiezens you should bottle and drink at your earliest convenience.

I'll have to leave that to someone else to answer as I don't think I've ever even drank one before. Good luck all the same though.

Good luck, can't help ya with the oxidation part at all. Don't know what it actually tastes like, but you'll know if its not right regardless.

Back