Looking to get started in Bama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaUmp

Reaction score
I'm just in the research stage now. I think I want to put a basic kit together and start with extract brewing then expand to all grain. I'm also interested in a set up to make mead. The information online is a touch overwhelming. I tend to over research things but I really don't know where to start. I want quality products without over needless over spending. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome! If you don't have a local homebrew store, what I would suggest is going to any of the online homebrew stores in the HBT Vendor list and buy their basic starter equipment kit. They all have one and they're all similar. There are a couple southern places, so you might save on shipping - Austin Homebrew and Rebel. Before checking out, get an ingredient kit too, make sure it's extract not all grain or partial mash. If they offer a choice of yeast, go with dry. I suggest a basic pale ale of some sort, a good first beer that is flavorful enough but not too big.

If you have a local store, go there and talk with them, they'll set you up.

What are the temps in the area you're going to ferment in? That is the #2 issue for most new brewers, behind sanitation.

Jump on in, the water's fine!

Hey, what part of Alabama are you in? I'm in the Free State (Winston County), about 30mi. west of Cullman.

I think my favorite LBHS is the one in Pelham, just off the interstate, not far from Oak Mountain. I am not remembering the name at the moment. I also hear there's a good one in Montgomery, but I haven't been in there yet so I don't know first hand.

I tend to order most of my stuff online, since it's generally cheaper, but when I start to build and brew my own recipes I will probably switch to the LHBS, if the prices are anywhere close to being similar.

Anyway, welcome. :mug:

To be a bit more specific (now that I've gotten over the excitement of finding another Alabamian, lol):

I started out with a 7 gallon bucket with lid, a blow-off tube (and appropriate hole drilled in bucket lid), a turkey fryer pot and burner that I got from my parents, a turkey baster (used to get samples from the fermenter), a thermometer, a hydrometer, and a 6 gallon bucket with lid and spigot. Oh, and a racking cane, tube, and bottling wand. I'm still using all of that, and have only added a few things for all grain. I've also got a cheap wing capper. All of this came to about $75 if I remember correctly, not including the kit.

I started out with extract brewing, and it went swimmingly. I read everything I could on here and other places online (mostly here). I'm already into all grain, and it's not complicated. More steps, and thus more to remember, but since I keep notes on everything, the biggest thing is the extra time and cleanup.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Ask any specific questions and we'll see what we can do.

Fully agree with the recommendation to visit your homebrew store if you have one available to you. To this day, its one of the best places to not only get some advice on new brews/techniques, I have made quite a few friends there as well.
If there is a homebrew club locally, join up!

Things to remember:
- It does not take alot of equipment nor expensive fancy equipment to make great beer.
- Ingredients should be as fresh as possible. Crush grains on brew day.
- Yeast starters are your friend.
- Keep everything sanitary!
- Fermentation happens best for ales BELOW 70Deg
- Secondaries are not needed. I use them for clearing up some of my bigger beers, but they are not required.
- Time is your friend with beer. Be patient and build up a pipeline to drink so you are not waiting on your current batch of beer to finish up to drink.
- Share your success and failures with your peers(homebrew club folks, beer friends, here, etc.). Sometimes a failure is a chance to get that tweak you missed to make that failure a raving success of a beer.
- Don't drink and brew. Stay sober on brew day while brewing. Drink when you are done and have pitched your yeast and its on set it and forget it mode.
- AG adds more time to a brew day, but its more enjoyable IMHO.
- Properly sized mash tuns create better efficiency.
- Most of all remember, it takes quite a bit to screw up beer. Usually small mistakes clean themselves up in the beer itself. Be patient, relax, and enjoy the hobby. It should NOT be work!
:rockin:

I appreciate all of the information. For some reason I just got the notifications.

I think the one in Pelham is alabrew and I've seen something about Hop City.

I'm about a month out from making any real purchases just waiting to work it into the budget.

I'm looking at a beer/wine starter kit from alabrew that's 150 includes 2 glass carboys. I made a deal with my wife if I got into beer she could get into honey mead.

I assume the question on temps refers to water temp and in not positive but I know they are less than 78 defrees.

To the question about where I live. I'm about 10 minutes from the Talladega Race Track. I'm about an hour from Birmingham and 1.5 from Atlanta.

I've found the newish 2nd Shift Amber Larger to be one of my favorite beers. Seems to have a fuller flavor than others I've tried. Sorry not up to speed on the proper terms yet.

So would you recommend I just pick up a basic kits that's just the buckets for my first batch then add a carboy later?

I think so. I don't even own a carboy. I do, however, own three 7 gallon buckets (one with a spigot, which I use for bottling), and two 5 gallon buckets that I got at Lowes. Check the plastic code on those before you buy; you need #2 plastic. Also, try to avoid colors and just get plain white -- there have been reports of dyes leeching into whatever is in the bucket. It's too small to ferment a 5 gallon batch, but it's okay for small batches, for storing stuff, or for other duties.

If you really want to get a clear carboy, check the better bottles ones. They are cheap, easy to move and food safe.
Just don't use a carboy brush(or brush of any sort) on the inside of them to clean them out as they will scratch the plastic.
I usually use PBW and a dish towel in it and let it soak for a while with the PBW, then slosh it around with the dish towel inside to clean her out.
I am using my BB 5.5gal for primary with a blow off tube a lot these days so I can see the magic of fermentation occurring.
:)

BarefootFriar said:
I think so. I don't even own a carboy. I do, however, own three 7 gallon buckets (one with a spigot, which I use for bottling), and two 5 gallon buckets that I got at Lowes. Check the plastic code on those before you buy; you need #2 plastic. Also, try to avoid colors and just get plain white -- there have been reports of dyes leeching into whatever is in the bucket. It's too small to ferment a 5 gallon batch, but it's okay for small batches, for storing stuff, or for other duties.

I'm about 45 minutes West of you in Marion County. You ever interested in brewing with someone? My friends love the product but are not interested in the process.

Alabama here as well. Not too sure what would be closer for you but id think alabrew in Pelham may be a bit far for you. Your proximity to both bham and Atlanta makes me a bit jealous though when it comes to hop city. Only been to the one in bham but its more of a big beer and wine store that you can also get most any homebrew supplies you need. They also offer homebrew classes on Saturdays around 11am I think. AND 60 beers on tap so you can "research" while you shop haha.

Edit, I currently live in Montevallo.

Yes I'd be interested in brewing with someone especially as I'm learning. I may stop by alabrew or hop city on my way back from Louisiana tomorrow.

Would you recommend alabrew or hop city as a place to stop and get a little education on equipment? I'd rather start small but with quality stuff then add to it as I go and know what I like. Another question for all grain in the future is it necessary to mill your own grain or will the lbh do it for you?

BamaUmp said:
Would you recommend alabrew or hop city as a place to stop and get a little education on equipment? I'd rather start small but with quality stuff then add to it as I go and know what I like. Another question for all grain in the future is it necessary to mill your own grain or will the lbh do it for you?

Brewing with someone is the best way to learn in my opinion. You get to learn what to do and what not to do, and you get an up close look at various types of gear. Since this just became legal in Alabama, you can get a lot of the basics at the HBS but based on my last experience visiting one, you're better off buying online as there is a larger selection.

In my opinion either place would be good. Last I remember alabrew is kind of a mom and pop deal and are really nice people. Hop city is lots of people that are also really nice. Both places are really knowledgeable and a decent selection. As far as which one, id go with which ever is closer really.

Have fun and Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew! There are MANY different combinations of equipment and technique that all make good beer. I think the top recommendation I can give are:

Sanitation - I use StarSan, but many people use Iodophor. I liek SS because I can mix up a gallon with distilled water and add it to a sprayer and just spritz all my stuff and let it sit for a minute or two. Use it while still wet.

Temperature Control - Fermentation needs the proper temp. Usually for Ales it's mid 60s and then let it rise a bit AFTER it starts to slow down, up to about 70 or so. The yeast package should state the optimum temp ranges for that particular yeast.

Yeast Amount - Read up on how much yeast to use. It's better to go a little more than a little less. And aerate the wort before pitching yeast if you are using liquid yeast. Rehydrate dry yeast 15-20 minutes before pitching if using.

There are lots of other hints and tips, but if you are brewing an extract kit, most of the thinking has been done already.

I HIGHLY recommend reading a book on brewing. It's not just educational, but interesting. How to Brew by John Palmer is a great book and the first edition is available online for free at howtobrew.com. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian is a good read and his excitement of brewing is contagious. Even Homebrewing for Dummies is actually pretty good.

And get started collecting pry off bottles now! The twist offs aren't very good for homebrewing as the threads can get crushed and cause leaks. Most craft beer comes in pry off bottles.

Good luck!

I would definitely suggest reading Palmer's "How to Brew"! It is a reference book I continue to go back too! I am also from bama, north alabama in Huntsville and have been brewing for about 8 months. Did a couple of extracts then jumped head first into all grain. Love it, just cant make it fast enough! Amazing how friends come out of the wood work........! GL, defintiely bookmark this website as well! I probably spend at least an hour a night online HBT!

I travel all over the country for work so I plan to make note of the good lbh's at least east of the Mississippi. Read about one in Jackson, MS but didn't have time to stop today but I will be at Hop City in 30 min to check it out.

BamaUmp said:
I travel all over the country for work so I plan to make note of the good lbh's at least east of the Mississippi. Read about one in Jackson, MS but didn't have time to stop today but I will be at Hop City in 30 min to check it out.

If you're ever in Greenville, MS there is a nice one. I apologize if you're ever in Greenville, MS.

I go thT way when I go to some town in Arkansas. Hop City was helpful. Plastic kit 75 glass kit 95 I'm on the fence about which to get.

I know some people love glass, but it is HEAVY and will break. I have both and prefer the plastic carboys. hope this helps

BamaUmp said:
I go thT way when I go to some town in Arkansas. Hop City was helpful. Plastic kit 75 glass kit 95 I'm on the fence about which to get.

Seriously...if you would like to come brew with me and my wife this weekend and see what I have and what the advantages and disadvantages are, you're more than welcome. And a helper would be great for me (my wife usually says she will help but then mysteriously disappears).

As far as equipment goes, the only real advice I wish someone had given me was to go ahead and spend the money on a pot big enough for full volume boils. Otherwise you'll likely do what most including me do and end up buying two pots. Its a fun hobby with obvious rewards. You won't likely stop once you start.

I'm looking at a turkey fryer.

Unfortunately I can't this weekend I have season tickets for a local college football and my wife has to work but I may take you up on that sometime!

Welcome....I'm also from Bama, specifically Mobile, but also lived in Clanton for a while. Now in West TN :(

If you aren't in any rush watch Craigslist and you can pick up equipment cheep. I saw you posted about the 2nd Shift Amber Larger. If you want to do Lagers(especially) or even Ales you will need some sort of fermentation chamber. Again watch Craigslist and buy a used fridge or chest freezer.

However, there are plenty of very good beers that can be brewed at normal room temperatures.

Turkey frier is a must IMO, I couldn't imagine brewing indoors. Bayou Classic has a good selection of pots/kettles. Get one at least 6 gal. Stay away from Glass(dangerous) Carboys, you don't even need Carboys for beer, but go with Better Bottles for the Mead/wine.

A Basic kit like this is a good place to start:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit-w-plastic-carboy.html

That one included a plastic Carboy(Better bottle-type)

I recommend a no rises sanitizer like Star San. Search Midwest Supplies website in the link above.

Yes, I want to stay away from chilled fermentation.

I've been looking at craigslist keeping an eye on turkey fryers and pots.

My question about better bottles is are they going to last long term?

A newbie question here. I do not care for bitter beer. Even a simple brown from Good People Brewing is more bitter than I prefer. Any suggestion?

Bottles will last as long as you take care of them. The two most dangerous times for a bottle (in my humble opinion) is at capping time if you use a wing capper and just after you drain it -- or am I the only one who slams down the bottle or glass and yells, "HARRAGH!" after swallowing the last bit?

I have two 5 gallon screw top coolers would one be large enough to make a mash tun?

BamaUmp I too am in Alabama, north of Birmingham near the walker jeffco line, but I work in Pelham so I stop by alabrew when I need something. Their prices are competitive with midwest, sometimes a bit higher, but without shipping it ends up being cheaper. It's a mom and pop place but they are helpful if you confess you are a newbie. I've yet to brew beer; just got finished with my first batch of hard cider for my wife. If you don't want to use glass carboys use 6.5 gal true brew buckets. In a few weeks I'm going to try my first beer, Otto brothers moose.

Also I you use a no rinse bleach solution of 2 tablespoons per 5gal and had no problems, but I may start using star san soon.

Good luck.

That should have said Otto brothers moose juice. Also, last time I was at Alabrew he had 3cases of Sierra Nevada bottles on the sidewalk that were free for the taking. Not sure you would get that at a big homebrew store, but I may be wrong. Cheers.

I got two cases of SN empties from them last fall. I don't know who's taking them over there, but I sure do thank them! I like the SN (and Woodchuck cider) bottles best. Something about the shape.

I really liked the guy at Hop City he was very helpful and their prices seemed ok. They also stay open til 10.

I really liked the guy at Hop City he was very helpful and their prices seemed ok. They also stay open til 10.

Just as an fyi in hop city they are having their 1 year anniversary on the 27th. They put it out on Facebook earlier today and will be having representatives from all the breweries here in Alabama and obviously samples. Just something to think about. You've mentioned liking the amber lager, have you ever tried a shiner bock?

Latest posts

Back