Looking for Dry Mead Recipe & Pointers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexstarwalker

Reaction score
Hello friends!

I have recently discovered mead, and it is my new favorite beverage. I have brewed beer before, and now I really want to try brewing mead.

My favorite mead is from Denmark: Dansk Mjod Viking Blod. It is 19% ABV and has hibiscus and hops. My second favorite is by the same brewery, Vikingernes, which is more traditional, with only hobs, no hibiscus. It is 19% ABV as well.

I'd really like to find a recipe that can get as close to one/both of these meads as possible. I've had other meads, and I don't like them at all. I want a high ABV, traditional mead without any weird additives, fruit, etc.

I'd like to start out with gallon or half-gallon batches using growlers. I can get local honey, and I'm considering fireweed honey, as it's the best honey I've ever tasted and there's a farm nearby.

Can you recommend any recipes for me? Also any tips for brewing small batches or any general mead brewing tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This a great book to read before you start making mead:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381802/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have a copy on my shelf & still use it.

Basic mead is really just honey (about 3lbs/gal.), water, yeast, yeast nutrient/energizer/DAP (DiAmmonium Phosphate) & time. I'd choose a nice varietal & save the "wildflower" honey for the melomels.
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the need to age a dry mead, especially one over 12% . My dry traditional(made with Tasmanian leatherwood honey) is 14% and wasn't even close to good until 8 months. I have a sweet strawberry at 19% that is still not even close to being done and it's 14 months old

Back