LODO pitch rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I see sources such as 2-3 million cells per ml per 12 Plato for lager beers.
I'm gonna have a hard time reaching this pitch rate by Sunday this coming week. Any suggestions without spending $100 on yeast? I have a stir plate...

Just make as much as you can. Step it up. Make a vitality starter from your mash wort at mashout.

Pick up some S-189 or W-34/70 dry yeast packets as an insurance policy and supplement with those IF fermentation doesn't take off by Tuesday after pitching your starter. You don't need to make starters with dry yeast, just rehydrate and throw it in, IF the lag time becomes disturbing.

You could also just plan to brew a smaller batch on Sunday. Make a half batch or something, more suitable to how much yeast you can propagate by then.

In the experience of some of the more seasoned brewers on our forum, dry lager yeast doesn't "cut the mustard". If it is an emergency and you can't grow a starter up, the alternative is to just pitch 5 vials or 5 packs of liquid yeast. Definitely expensive (~$50) but worth it over using the available dry strains. At that rate, and at the temps we advocate, you won't need to aerate/oxygenate!

Just my opinion though, YMMV.

In the experience of some of the more seasoned brewers on our forum, dry lager yeast doesn't "cut the mustard". If it is an emergency and you can't grow a starter up, the alternative is to just pitch 5 vials or 5 packs of liquid yeast. Definitely expensive (~$50) but worth it over using the available dry strains. At that rate, and at the temps we advocate, you won't need to aerate/oxygenate!

Just my opinion though, YMMV.

5 packs per 5 gallons? What viability does this assume?
I can make a starter, even two step but still can't get to proper pitch rate for 11gal.

I may have to brew 5gal only.

5 packs per 5 gallons? What viability does this assume?

At cold temperatures: Yes. 5 packs per 5 gallons. It assumes normal viability. Fermenting at cold primary temperatures (< 50 F) means higher pitch rate.

I just started using 2.5 million cells per mL of wort per °P for lagers. HUGE difference!!! I cannot recommend this enough.

If you did a starter tonight, you should be ok. Make 1L tonight. Put it in the fridge Friday morning and make a 2.5L starter Friday night. It should be good by Sunday. Then make a vitality starter Sunday. It will be fermenting within a couple hours.

That assumes a 5 gallon 1.045 beer.

I made a 1.6L starter wednesday night, cant do anything larger than this. Ill do as you suggest in fridge by tommorow morning. Ill do another 1.6L Friday night and a 1.6L vitality starter from mash. This should get me above 2.0 rate. Thanks!

Back