Local beer swap-o-rama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to seeing dotjerdots haul, he did claim he was posting it up today...

Looks like today and tomorrow are going to be pretty exciting days here!!! 24lbs of liquid deliciousness is making its way from LI to its destination!!

Mmmm Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn has some amazing canned beers speaking of LI

I liked the Resin when it first came out but since then they must have changed something because I don't like it as much, either that or the last few times I've tried it they were a bit older

I figure now is a good time to run some ideas by you guys for the next swap. Would it be just as fun to send 4-5 local bombers? I.e. that would be the guidelines, vs 200 oz.

Or do you guys think just another 200 oz swap would be ideal? I prefer to change it up to keep things new and interesting. But if you guys think it should just be repeated as is then I am cool with it.

i like the 200 oz, it gives everyone the same amount to purchase, some great beers and some bombers as well

i like the 200 oz, it gives everyone the same amount to purchase, some great beers and some bombers as well

Some guys mentioned they had a little harder time finding anything local that was not a bomber. Which means its more expensive for them to hit 200 oz. vs others that have a nice selection of 12 oz products to choose from.

My initial idea was to keep it relatively low cost while still spreading good beer. $30-$40 was my thinking, which can get a nice selection around me.

If everyone was held to bombers, it would keep things more even throughout. If no one cares about this fact, then I am ok with it.

I'm one of the folks who can't get craft brews in cans. They just don't make them around here. The bombers cost $5 - $8 on average, so yeah, this was probably a little more expensive for me than it was for others. I'm not complaining about it or making an issue of it - just stating a fact. Also, shipping glass bottles is way more expensive than cans. Again - not complaining. I'm not rich but let's put it this way - this was probably less expensive than an average month of me buying ingredients and equipment.

A solution doesn't jump out at me, either.

TheMan said:
Some guys mentioned they had a little harder time finding anything local that was not a bomber. Which means its more expensive for them to hit 200 oz. vs others that have a nice selection of 12 oz products to choose from.

My initial idea was to keep it relatively low cost while still spreading good beer. $30-$40 was my thinking, which can get a nice selection around me.

If everyone was held to bombers, it would keep things more even throughout. If no one cares about this fact, then I am ok with it.

Just a suggestion from someone who's been involved in local swaps before. And just my 2 cents so feel free to tell me to piss off! Lol But if your issue is the bomber vs 12oz thing, why not do away with the ounce limit and just use a $ amount. $30-40 is still a lot of beer whether its bomber or 12oz.

Just a suggestion from someone who's been involved in local swaps before. And just my 2 cents so feel free to tell me to piss off! Lol But if your issue is the bomber vs 12oz thing, why not do away with the ounce limit and just use a $ amount. $30-40 is still a lot of beer whether its bomber or 12oz.

Piss off ed....lol...no, I hear what you're saying. A dollar amount is valid as well. But then you can have a guy get loads of lower value stuff while anonther guy gets a whale plus one other bottle. This is all fine and dandy for me. But I am curious what the consensus is since a lot of the fellas here seem to like the idea of not well known local stuff in larger quantities.

I know we will not find a perfect middle ground for everyone. I just like to make it work best for everyone.

Another idea would be for me to rotate the swap criteria every round. This would enable people to join or not join based on the requirements. The guys who get mostly bombers might sit out for the 200 oz swap, but then enjoy doing a round of 4-5 bombers. And then there are people that may enjoy the opportunity to possibly get a whale, so a $ limit round may entice this.

I am probably over thinking this...just thinking aloud...

I wish I could have done this! I havent checked the board in about a month but Im back. Count me in (if possible) for the next one.

Piss off ed....lol...no, I hear what you're saying. A dollar amount is valid as well. But then you can have a guy get loads of lower value stuff while anonther guy gets a whale plus one other bottle. This is all fine and dandy for me. But I am curious what the consensus is since a lot of the fellas here seem to like the idea of not well known local stuff in larger quantities.

I know we will not find a perfect middle ground for everyone. I just like to make it work best for everyone.

Another idea would be for me to rotate the swap criteria every round. This would enable people to join or not join based on the requirements. The guys who get mostly bombers might sit out for the 200 oz swap, but then enjoy doing a round of 4-5 bombers. And then there are people that may enjoy the opportunity to possibly get a whale, so a $ limit round may entice this.

Yeah I think rotating it back & forth would be a good idea. I know I have access to cans but if others don't but they know the next round will then they participate in the next round. It also might be helpful to rotate if people know this round might cost less. Seems like lots of ppl are waiting in the wings so I think either way it's def catching on and should be easy to fill in rounds depending on criteria. I would also agree a bomber style round would prob need to be capped to a $ amount instead of ounces.

I think it's an awesome idea and even if the rounds aren't huge numbers of people it will grow. I know in the future I will do it again, just need to wait a bit, pretty sure SWMBO will kill me if I try to justify spending more $ on trades right now!

TheMan said:

Hahaha I'm sure what ever you decide you'll get lots of people who want in! Either way you doing a fine gob of organizing these and getting people interested so it'll be a success regardless! I'll try to get in on each rotation, although with the bomber swap there aren't any NJ local whales for me to send Lol Keep up the good work!

I like the 200 oz. idea! It gives room to play around. I wish I lived in your area to have things cost $30 - $40. A 4 pack of Ghandi is $13 alone.

ForumRunner_20130604_165229.png

ForumRunner_20130604_165308.png

Huge assortment from Justin. He really listened when I said I like a ton of styles and allowed him to pick whatever he wanted. AWESOME BOMB!

damn that looks nice! I think we should just stick to around 200 oz but let the givers be the judge. If someone is available to bombers thats what they should send. Someone like me though has more availability to local cans and just 12ozers. Im sure someone would understand if they only received ~150 oz of bombers or more expensive brews. I dont think there should be a strict policy on what to buy per round except variety. the only requirement that would make sense is dollar amount, lets say you cant spend over 50 or 60 bucks.

Huge assortment from Justin. He really listened when I said I like a ton of styles and allowed him to pick whatever he wanted. AWESOME BOMB!

Nice haul. That ninja vs unicorn is awesome!!

What are the other 2 bombers? I can't make them out.

All right so here is the first haul... A 17lb BOMB from Jeremy(dotjerdot I believe):

A great mix of IPAs, DIPAs, Saison, Blondes, a Watermelon Ale(sounds interesting!). I'm SUPER stoked to try that Ghandi Bot & Sea Hag from New England Brewing!

Jeremy THANKS A TON!!! I will be leaving iTrader feedback shortly, this is GREAT!

:mug::ban::mug:

I am glad you liked it. All the New England Brewing Company ones are my favorite. They do such a great job and can everything by by hand. The 668 wasn't a style you had listed but I feel you will enjoy it. Plus look how awesome the can is!

Also not on your list of styles was the Two Roads Workers Comp Saison. I had to include it because the head brewer, Phil Markowski basicly created that style and he did a great job with this beer. http://goo.gl/XuXqp

The Blonde on Blonde is a great example of a different pale ale. It also won a gold metal at the Great International Beer Festival.

The Hooker watermelon was my girls pick to send. I enjoy it on a hot summer day because it still drinks like a beer and not just a fruit bomb.

The Cottrell Perry's Revenge is just a good big scotch ale.

Overall, everything I sent was from CT and doesn't get distributed out so you can only get it very locally to the brewerys. I really hope you enjoy drinking it as much as I did picking it out and sending it.

I am glad you liked it. All the New England Brewing Company ones are my favorite. They do such a great job and can everything by by hand. The 668 wasn't a style you had listed but I feel you will enjoy it. Plus look how awesome the can is!

Also not on your list of styles was the Two Roads Workers Comp Saison. I had to include it because the head brewer, Phil Markowski basicly created that style and he did a great job with this beer. http://goo.gl/XuXqp

The Blonde on Blonde is a great example of a different pale ale. It also won a gold metal at the Great International Beer Festival.

The Hooker watermelon was my girls pick to send. I enjoy it on a hot summer day because it still drinks like a beer and not just a fruit bomb.

The Cottrell Perry's Revenge is just a good big scotch ale.

Overall, everything I sent was from CT and doesn't get distributed out so you can only get it very locally to the brewerys. I really hope you enjoy drinking it as much as I did picking it out and sending it.

They're all great. I'm excited to try some too outside of what I might normally buy. Thanks

So the package I sent said it is on the truck for delivery today. But it also says at top of page that the est delivery date is N/A when ever since I sent it, it had today's date as the est delivery date. What gives?? This is my first time using FedEx. Is this a normal occurrence with FedEx? Hopefully my question makes sense.

Forget last post. Stressed about nothing. BOOM! Bomb hit its intended target.

Package delivered.

I am leaning toward rotating the guidelines each time. Sounds like a lot of you like that idea. And it would keep it from favoring the same group of people every time.

After everyone receives their beer I will give you all a heads up before I post up the next swap. It won't be for a week or two.

I love the idea of rotating the criteria each time! It's personally easier for me to get quality beers in bombers but at $8-12 a piece it was a little over my budget to buy 9 of them for this swap. But I would love to do a smaller 3-5 bomber trade/swap some time soon!

sorry for the double post, I let theMan know yesterday that I have not shipped yet, it's going out on Wed though. Had some work stuff come up over the last week. I'm looking forward to my recipient opening it up!!

For this of us remaining I wonder if we can get an idea of when to expect our goodies? I feel like an old dog waiting by the window for its owner to come home....lol

We should see 5 sets of beer hauls today! Maybe just four though... If I have not pmed you letting you know when to expect it...then check your doorsteps! One was even delivered at 8 a.m. this morning...

Nice!!! Someone should have gotten a package yesterday. Still waiting for confirmation from the recipient.

Came home from a long ass night at work to a heavy package from PA in my foyer!! I've got a few things to take care of before I open it up but I'll be posting some pictures soon! The suspense is gonna kill me but if I crack into it now I won't get anything else done!

Got mine last night just as my tournament was starting. I couldn't wait to open it but I couldn't. It was the first thing I did this morning though!

Thank you for showing me the right way to package beer for shipment also. :)

photo(5).jpg

Finally got mine opened up! Pretty extreme packaging for cans, but they definitely all made it unscathed :eek:nestar:

image-605911002-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

image-1063581654-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

image-3599306772-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

image-1829290107-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

The only one I have seen before is Ozzy and that was just from a friend on untappd because it stuck out as being an awesome can. I look forward to finding out more about them while I drink them :mug:

Back