Lawyers (or anyone knowledgeable): Legal question concerning LHBS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, poor business practices. Had I have been in that position, I would have eaten the cost of the newer kegs without question.

Really poorly handled all around.

This thread is perhaps the nuttiest thing I've read today.

I'm all for principle but IMHO, I've got better things to do than contemplate legal action over an attempted $40 screw-job by some grain-peddler.

I'd have taken the refund and gone happily on my way, never to darken his doorstep again, prior "friendship" or no. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and a $40 dispute, especially after a year's time, falls squarely in that category.

What made the equipment package a good deal was the cheap kegs. You mentioned paying a premium for the other parts. How much extra did you pay for the rest of the package? I would show him how much extra you paid. Add that to the keg refund and offer to take it in store credit. Let's say it's $80. I then offer to spend it all on the spot plus another $40 to ease his loss. He gets the benefit of keeping all the money in his store, keeping you as a customer and it minimizes his loss because some of it will be absorbed by his margin. You get compensated for your actual financial loss.

My only problem with his solution of the $40 refund is the issue with you saying the $20/keg deal was what made the kegerator worth it - without that it sounds like you don't think it would have been a deal.
How much does he sell kegs for normally?

My only problem with his solution of the $40 refund is the issue with you saying the $20/keg deal was what made the kegerator worth it - without that it sounds like you don't think it would have been a deal.
How much does he sell kegs for normally?

This is exactly the issue. And I forgot to mention (whoops, this is kind of important) that he discounted the kegs because they were part of the package deal. So he wasn't even offering to refund me his normal keg price, only the package deal discounted price he gave me on them. I'm not sure how much he normally charged for kegs before losing his supplier, as I did not keg at that time.

I read this whole thread. I'm ready to give you 40$ just so I don't have to read this anymore...:)

This is as black and white as it gets. You paid for 2 kegs, so the guy owes you 2 kegs.

That being said, I'd take the money, call him an ass, changes LHBSs, and tell everyone I knew about the situation. The guy is a pretty poor businessman.

I'll pm you my paypal details...

Please send it as a gift so I can avoid fees.

:D

So far you are up $120 if you take both $40 offers from here and the original refund! :D
Really I don't think you are going to "win" here by taking this further legally, you will be out of pocket and he will be pissed off and likely to fight you harder. And anyone who hears about the situation will just think you are the stupid guy that annoyingly took their LHBS to court over $40.

So far you are up $120 if you take both $40 offers from here and the original refund! :D
Really I don't think you are going to "win" here by taking this further legally, you will be out of pocket and he will be pissed off and likely to fight you harder. And anyone who hears about the situation will just think you are the stupid guy that annoyingly took their LHBS to court over $40.

I posted an update a bit earlier. I already got the kegs from him, but only after being forced to threaten legal action, and they were ****ty converted pin locks advertised as regular ball locks.

Will that $40 be part of the two years of bank records?

I recognize the obvious snarkiness to this comment. What's the big deal with asking the teller for a run of my account for curiosity's sake, when I'm already in the bank making a deposit? It took an extra two minutes at most. BFD.

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were marry... But then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll, I'll, I'll set the building on fire...

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were marry... But then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll, I'll, I'll set the building on fire...
I prefer to drink beer while eating pizza.

Read half the thread, didn't read the second half, my opinion already well stated. Dude's obviously required to pony up the kegs (pun intended) at the quoted price, or give the money back. Either way, if he's being a prick like that (unbelievably poor form to even ask you for more in the first place), I'd be done with that shop regardless of the result.

Link him to this post and let him know how word of mouth spreads. $40 saved today is a closed business tomorrow. Doesn't seem like a good trade on his part. Even if you don't stop everyone with your story, he is sure to lose more than $40 by you keeping just 1 person away.

Back