Lavender wine made from leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a few recipes for lavender wine made from flowers or buds. But the leaves are edible too, and in my garden the lavender leaves have a very strong lavender smell. Does anyone have experience making wine from lavender leaves? It would be easier to get enough for a batch of wine if I could use the leaves.

I know that lavender is in the mint family, so if I can't find anything else I might try using some lavender leaves in a recipe for mint wine.

Curious. Never tried myself so nothing to add here... 🙂 but I have done other flower and herb wines. Will be watching this thread so please update!

One thought, lavender is pretty strong and if even slightly overdone (I've tried in cooking and ice cream), if can easily taste like shampoo. I suspect if using a mint recipe, dial back the lavender a little (maybe?). Just a thought.

Yes, I would certainly use less lavender than mint. I'm going to experiment first with some lavender tea made from the leaves. That should give me an idea how it tastes and how strong it will be. Today I am starting a batch of mint wine using Jack Keller's recipe. I have been making hot mint tea from fresh peppermint leaves and it is delicious, so I'm ready to try the mint wine.

Back