Late additions with Hopped DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hey- I'm about to brew and had a quick question. I've been doing late additions when I add my extract, but I've been ordering from Midwest so I've been using LME. This kit from my LHBS uses DME with the bittering hops included, and I have no idea how that will affect hop utilization/flavor if I add say 25% at the beginning and the rest at 15 min from the end. I know bittering hops generally need a 60 min. boil. Should I just add everything at the beginning? Tried to do a search, couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

DME is usually ok to add at the beginning of the boil with no ill effects. It doesn't have the same issues that LME does.

So add it all at the beginning.

DME is usually ok to add at the beginning of the boil with no ill effects. It doesn't have the same issues that LME does.

So add it all at the beginning.

Great thank you. The thought had never occurred to me before now. Time to get started!

:mug:

If it is hopped DME, I think adding it all at the beginning will drive off the hop flavor & aroma. Those are volatile compounds and boil out easy. I would be more inclined to add a small amount up front, then the rest at the very end, and maybe even add in a small flavor and aroma late-hop charge.

The bitterness is already there without further boiling. Technically, the hopped extracts can be dissolved in hot water (no boiling) and you still get all the bitterness of a 60 minute boil.

Only the bittering hops are in the DME. The flavoring and aroma hops will be added towards the end. So the bitterness will be the same no matter when I add it? I'm making a Scottish ale so the color doesn't really matter, gonna be dark either way.

Only the bittering hops are in the DME. The flavoring and aroma hops will be added towards the end. So the bitterness will be the same no matter when I add it? I'm making a Scottish ale so the color doesn't really matter, gonna be dark either way.

Yes. If only bittering hops are in there, you can add it any time.

Back