Lager won't clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I've had lager at 0.1-5C depending on ambient for almost 8 weeks now and it still has a haze. I've poured a glass and left it to warm up and it seems to be yeast in suspension because a layer of yeast forms on the bottom of the glass. I've run off any meaningful sediment from the bottom, the only differences compared to usual (successful, clear in 6 weeks) are ..

- Tank is pressurised, left unsealed until almost the end of fermentation, then sealed to take advantage of some of the natural co2 production. Currently reads about 1.5bar.
- Water was slightly more alkaline than usual.
- Maybe a more aggressive fly sparge.

I'm wondering if the differences in the water combined with the aggressive sparge led to the pH being high and extracting more tannin from the grain than usual. Not sure how to fix it. Any advice? Can't serve it with this yeast in suspension. Can't package it without knowing it'll drop clear. Can't believe that almost two months close to freezing point hasn't caused EVERYTHING to drop out.

I'd try some gelatin too, but before I read your whole thread, I was already thinking pH.
If that's the case, I'm not sure you can do much about it except try gelatin.
Dissolve half a teaspoon or so in maybe two ounces of warm water and add.
Be careful about oxygen exposure when adding the gelatin though (don't splash it in - be gentle).

Back