lager chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
i was hoping to get some thoughts from folks on a lager chamber. I am going to buy a chest freezer but I am debating two things and am looking for input.

- Should I get a 7 or 14 cu foot unit?
- Should I get a single or dual temp controller?

As way of background, this fridge will primarily be used for lagers (I have another freezer that fits a conical I use for hefe, belgium etc that need a relatively stable temp. I usually do my IPAs and stouts in carboys in the basement which is in the mid 60s in the winter, and even in summer only reaches low 70s. In summer, I use a wet towel and fan to keep the ales under 70.

I am looking to get another ferm chamber because I want to get into lagers, and I think the one freezer will not be enough given the long time the lagers will take (its an upright). I like having hefe or a belgium on tap year round and they need a month of stable temps.

I plan to brew 10g batches.

I am leaning towards a single temp controller in a 14cu ft freezer. I figure the extra space could be useful and I have the space in the basement to fit it. I guess my thought is it will typically be in "chill mode" nearly all the time and when I want to do a diacetyl rest, I can simply add a heater if ambient temps are not high enough for those couple days.

Any suggestions? I dont want to have buyers remorse one way or the other. I know any combination would work…but would appreciate any thoughts.

If you can fit and afford 14 cu ft then get that. There's really no way to regret it unless you're squeezing it into a space that eventually annoys you due to clutter.

I have two 9's. One for fermenting and one for lagering. I should have went a little bigger for my lager chamber. It's always better to go bigger.

Go big with the fridge. As far as the temp control- it's rare that I would need to heat up in my house. I've had a big chest freezer with a johnson (that could be dual if I hacked it) for years and it's been really nice. Never needed to heat a beer enough to swap my controller.

I went the upright freezer route ($60 used via Craigslist) for lagering and very happy that I did. Sliding full kegs and fermenter buckets in and out of the upright is so much easier than hefting them in and out of the chest freezer (mine got re-assigned as a keezer).

It sits at a steady 35-36*F controlled by an STC-1000. I also cold crash primaries in it and store stuff (like harvested yeast and bottled beer) on the top shelf.

Great - that is the advice I was seeking. I will have to check the prices, but if I recall it was not too great a difference from the scratch and dent place. Around here people sell used freezers (2-5 years old) for $100 less then new. I can buy from the Sears outlet and get one for about the same price WITH a full one year warranty.

I will also get a chest freezer vice upright since I can use a peristaltic pump to transfer and I think I can get more in there for a cheaper start up price. Used uprights are even more difficult to get here. I do like the in/out conviencance, but I think with the pump I can minimize the pain factor.

I think I will also get the single stage controller. I have the A419 on the the keezer and a ranco on the other fermenter (sinple to wire in an extension cord cut in half). I will probably buy whatever is cheaper at the time I order. Worse case I swap and plug in a lamp for that period of rest.

Thanks for the advice (and encouragement!). I am still new to this and I can for a fact say this forum and its members have saved me a lot LOT of time and money. Of course, it has COST me a lot of money…but worth every penny since I have gear that works for me, and I don't have any buyers remorse (thus far!) about the size and type of set-up I ended up buying.

Latest posts

Back