Lacto Sour with L Plantarum Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to get some IBUs doing a whirlpool. Recent studies have even shown that dry hopping adds some IBUs to the beer.

If you're using L. Plantarum I would completely avoid hops until you are done souring. Either dry hop or do a kettle sour and boil.

I've had lots of luck using L. Plantarum and then dry hopping after.

Under 5 IBU was enough to inhibit the lacto. Granted these weren't aged hops but they were low alpha. Without lab work on the beers/system there's really no way to tell if I had the 3-4 IBU Beersmith gave or 7-8 or whatever IBU so that's an important factor. I found it easier to just leave em out.

Good point. Next time I'll leave them out. Not really sure why I did them in the first place. Hopefully 0.5 oz of 2% won't hurt the lacto too much

Are you saying under 5 IBUs you have no issues? Or even with IBUs under 5 (and not 0) you've seen inhibition of lacto?
On Milk the Funk there have been instances reportee where even more than 2 or 3 IBU's inhibited L. Plantarum. Recommend no hops at the souring stage, Theres also the Devin Bell Reverse Method where you can sour with L. Plantarum after fermenting. More details on the wiki at milkthefunk.com

You're going to get some IBUs doing a whirlpool. Recent studies have even shown that dry hopping adds some IBUs to the beer.

If you're using L. Plantarum I would completely avoid hops until you are done souring. Either dry hop or do a kettle sour and boil.

I've had lots of luck using L. Plantarum and then dry hopping after.

This is spot on. I think Plantarum works well with dry hopping citrusy/tropical hops. My favorite so far was a 6% Nelson Sauvin sour IPA.

Latest posts

Back