L. Plantarum Hop Resistance Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyakkaRiver

Reaction score
So I've never brewed a kettle sour due to fears that the lacto will survive in some random silicone line or on the pump impeller and infect a batch down the road. However, doing some quick research on L. Plantarum I see that it does not tolerate hops very well at all. Is there any sort of assurance that this is a tried and true method (given best sanitation practices) that whenever I brew a lacto-free beer (with any sort of moderate IBUs) for a later batch after using my system for kettle souring that it is unlikely to get infected?

Assuming you boil after the sour and nothing cold side touches the soured wort before it's boiled, the boil will kill it and you have nothing to worry about. Hops are insurance, sure. So is sani and a healthy pitch of yeast. But the boil will do the job. Even just heating to pasteurization temps will do the job (which I do prior to kettle souring before I chill and add bugs).

If you're worried, heat pasteurize. Cycle boiling water (or barely sub boiling) through your pump and tubing. Heat penetrates, too, so in some ways it's more effective than chemical sanitizer like Star-San. Nothing is gonna live through that that has potential to cause a problem.

It's how I handle cold side after using any diastaticus (read: Saison) yeasts. Clean, then heat pasteurize.

If you are kettle souring you really shouldn't have any issues between the boil and any "best practice" cleaning and sanitation. Plantarum's hop tolerance is at MAX 10 and I really would put it in more of the 3-5 IBU category so you should be good either way. Never had any issues with contamination with my kettle soured beers using Plantarum

Latest posts

Back