Kveik -> FG reached -> bottled... Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
I used Voss Kveik for the first time.
I used it in the allgrain Neipa recepy I´ve done before with s04.
I reached a steady FG in 2 days and bottled in day 4 with priming sugars.

Usually after one week in bottles (using s04) I take one bottle to taste and its already tasting good.
But now the taste was not pleasent vith kveik. It tasted raw... kind of the same that some of my DME noboil testbatches has tasted.

Is it problem that I bottled it so soon?
I know the fermentation was ready (FG reached) but should I have kept it longer in the primary?

I now that time will tell me the answer, but while I´m waiting I would like to get some feedback.

Thanks

At the end of fermentation there is a lot of material still suspended. Some of that does not taste good and because it is only slightly more dense than the beer it takes time to settle out. Give your beer some time in the bottle for that to happen and you should see a fair amount of trub in the bottom. That contributes to the off flavors. Try another bottle at the end of the third week in bottles and report back.

But now the taste was not pleasent vith kveik. It tasted raw... kind of the same that some of my DME noboil testbatches has tasted.

You have less than a month old beer...that bad boy is GREEN! You have to give it time to condition and let the flavors comes together. Even for a NEIPA it needs time to develop.

At the end of fermentation there is a lot of material still suspended. Some of that does not taste good and because it is only slightly more dense than the beer it takes time to settle out. Give your beer some time in the bottle for that to happen and you should see a fair amount of trub in the bottom. That contributes to the off flavors. Try another bottle at the end of the third week in bottles and report back.
You have less than a month old beer...that bad boy is GREEN! You have to give it time to condition and let the flavors comes together. Even for a NEIPA it needs time to develop.
Is there a difference in the yeasts that how fast they settle out? Because with s04 I didn't have this offlavor after one week. At least so that I could have easily detected it as a bad taste.

Is there a difference in the yeasts that how fast they settle out? Because with s04 I didn't have this offlavor after one week. At least so that I could have easily detected it as a bad taste.
Yes, different yeasts have different flocculation rates, both in how fast they drop from solution and how compact the trub they form is. S04 drops fast and compact, kveik strains vary and some can be quite slow and loose.

A couple of notes:

* You really shouldn't try to compare S04 to a kveik - they are totally different animals. S04 is a German ale yeast that was isolated and selected over time for its lager-like characteristics of high flocculation and clean fermentation. Kveiks were isolated over time for speed and survivability dried on wooden yeast rings, selected for high sweet esters to balance the often highly-phenolic junipers and other brewing materials of Scandanavia. They will look, smell, taste, and behave differently.

* Just because the brew reached your target gravity doesn't mean the yeast was anywhere near its terminal gravity or that the sugars were used up. It sounds like the fermentation was still active enough that your intended priming sugar kicked off another reproductive phase of the yeast, building more active cells rather than processing sugar into CO2. As such, it will need to endure a longer bottle-conditioning phase until the newest yeast has been used up and gone dormant again. Beware of potential bottle bombs once they finish and are starting to taste good.

* There is lots and lots of hype about how quickly kveik yeasts ferment out sugars. What is less frequently mentioned is that many of the kveik strains don't clear very well or need just as much time as "normal" ales to clear naturally. (I'm playing with kveik meads right now....my 71B wine yeast is crystal clear, the Hornindal is a milkshake - both several weeks in FV.)

How big a batch did you make? If it's a larger batch and packaged in larger bottles, you might want to consider the pros and cons of gently transferring it back into a bulk FV for another week or two to let it finish doing its thing without being under steadily-increasing pressure.

A couple of notes:

* You really shouldn't try to compare S04 to a kveik - they are totally different animals. S04 is a German ale yeast that was isolated and selected over time for its lager-like characteristics of high flocculation and clean fermentation. Kveiks were isolated over time for speed and survivability dried on wooden yeast rings, selected for high sweet esters to balance the often highly-phenolic junipers and other brewing materials of Scandanavia. They will look, smell, taste, and behave differently.

* Just because the brew reached your target gravity doesn't mean the yeast was anywhere near its terminal gravity or that the sugars were used up. It sounds like the fermentation was still active enough that your intended priming sugar kicked off another reproductive phase of the yeast, building more active cells rather than processing sugar into CO2. As such, it will need to endure a longer bottle-conditioning phase until the newest yeast has been used up and gone dormant again. Beware of potential bottle bombs once they finish and are starting to taste good.

* There is lots and lots of hype about how quickly kveik yeasts ferment out sugars. What is less frequently mentioned is that many of the kveik strains don't clear very well or need just as much time as "normal" ales to clear naturally. (I'm playing with kveik meads right now....my 71B wine yeast is crystal clear, the Hornindal is a milkshake - both several weeks in FV.)

How big a batch did you make? If it's a larger batch and packaged in larger bottles, you might want to consider the pros and cons of gently transferring it back into a bulk FV for another week or two to let it finish doing its thing without being under steadily-increasing pressure.

It's 1.5 gallon batch bottled in normal ale bottles.
The attenuation was 80% and the FG was 48hours without any change. When I opened that first bottle, the Co2 pressure was normal. I'm not really worried about bottle bombs as the attenuation is as an average to this yeast and the FG was steady. Should I really?

I think the "green" is the off-flavor I was tasting.
Going to wait few weeks to test another bottle.

Just from my experience, I made a fruity pale ale (Citra/Mosaic, uncreative I know...) With hothead. Different kviek strain, but closer than 04.

Tasted great out of the fermenter, so I bottled after 3 days + 1 day to cold crash. Opened a carbed bottle maybe 5 days later and had to drain pour it. Absolutely disgusting in a way that I couldn't believe. A buddy told me kvieks take a surprisingly long time to bottle condition, so I gave them another week or two. Eventually, they tasted perfect, just as good or better than out of the fermenter. Still have no idea what happened but was glad the story had a happy ending. I didn't bother to use any kvieks since then, but that beer was fantastic in the end. I'd say give it another week and try another bottle. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised

Back